Did I Harm My Birdie... Please Advise

leros

Known Member
Jun 7, 2005
Penang
Hello Guys,
I have something to ask. Well, just now i washed and clean my engine bay, then i checked my radiator water level and it was full. After that, i forgot to recap the radiator. I drove for about 10 mins the stopped (engine off) for 30 mins then 3 mins then stopped for another 15 mins(engine off again) and finally 15 mins again.

When i realized that i forgot to recapped the radiator, i immediately off the engine and check the radiator. The first thing i realize was there was a very strong smell. May be the old coolant, not too sure though. When i checked the water level in the radiator by filling more water, it was still full, i checked the reservior and that was full too.

Did i harm my engine in anyway??? Is there anything to be worried about??? Please advise, feeling very restless thinking about the mistake i did. Ohh ya, throughout my journey, the temperature was at the normal range. Thanking you in advance.

Regards.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
monitor ur engine temperature a few days more... if no overheating occur, i guess its ok... the smell should be from ur old coolant... dun worry....

if possible, flush ur radiator... coz many rust and dirt is causing ur coolant to be smelly.... it is not compulsory anyway since ur car isnt experiencing any overheating...

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
I though bird bird (small brother)?? ooooh....
it is better to open back the radiator cap back and start your birdie then accer it..
if water flush out like volcano...thn prepare money for changing the gasket...good luck...

leros

Known Member
Jun 7, 2005
Penang
Ya the smell was from the old coolant, i cleaned the engine a little after it was cooled last night. Today no more smell. I started the engine after that and also accelerate the engine a little but there was no volcano. I have also been monitoring the temp constantly since then. I drove to work today and everything appears normal.

I was also planning to flush the radiator this weekend, Prestone radiator flush ok? Planning to do it my self (diy) save some money on that.

Do advise. Thanks.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i have a toyota mark ii jzx90 that runs on a 1jz-ge engine. i have a problem with the radiator. it produces a loud roaring sound when i start the car engine and when i accelerate. the roaring sound is irritating and i wish to get rid of it. so any one knows how to solve this? thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience