CSI: 20V VVT pulley loose/Damage?

20vturbo

500 RPM
Nov 19, 2003
Sarawak
www.club4ag.com
i am conducting a case here..:love:

1.20v bt,just service with idemitsu semi syn 10-40 oil..
2.engine internal a bit dirty lah..
3.timing belt not yet reach 1 year
4.mounting at the LH gearbox a bit pecah..

recently i notice when i drive around 1500-2000rpm,there will be a sound from the campulley area..its like something loose..krroookk...krrookk(not really loud)..but when tekan more than dat,its normal..i never kacau anything inside, just advance the distributor timing,both up and down adjustment still the same..this problem starts around 1 month ago..could it be something related to the tensioner?

1.for sure its not the tek tek diesel sound..the tek tek diesel sound is there, this is another sound.

2.could it be cause by sludge dirty engine, which cause the pulley to create sound?

3.my mech told me to change oil,but i've just change it last week and the sound is still there.

4.morning there will be no sound,after drive for some time, the sound will come..some time ada, some time not..but most of the time ada la..so i have to drive more than 2k all the time..

so,any one experience this problem? could it be damage VVT pulley? could it be cause by incorrect engine oil and sludge engine? or could it be my ignition timing? please2....opinions..

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
icic.... can u feel VVT got functioning well or not?

thanks

20vturbo

500 RPM
Nov 19, 2003
Sarawak
www.club4ag.com
vvt still function as usual la...just that sound come from the pulley area..however,nothing was felt (jerking,engine check light) when i pass by that rpm area...

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
cus as i know.. VVT pulley might get damaged..

how about other bearing condition OK ?....but i think if engine Oil prob. u only feel ur car heavy only... hahaha

any 1 can giv more comment here..

t4kak0

Known Member
Nov 25, 2005
as i noe,vvt pulley for 20v won't appear problem easily,not like VTEC..
my mech told me if engine oil change regulary,the vvt pulley will b never collepts..

well,20vturbo..i ve de same prob vf u..but my sound is came from the rpm between 0.8-1k..same like u..kroooookkkk..it will stand around few seconds..even 20 seconds..

i ve checked by myselfs,my dad n my mech..the problem is de extractor. de cover of extractor is too near of it..it will expend whn being in low rpm..tat's all i noe..

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
the most likely malfunction parts for vvt mostly is the vvt controller.
the pulley i don't think so easily kong

20vturbo

500 RPM
Nov 19, 2003
Sarawak
www.club4ag.com
finally the verdict from the headquarters..

open the timing belt area today..wah we notice the timing belt was not tight....and yup,the vvt pulley got the krrookkk krookkk sound around 1.4k-2k rpm, from the vvt pulley.

open everything, at last caught the tensioner rod for the timing belt pulley (something like a rod) had a leak.open the blacktop repair manual and it says that if the thing can move, means it got leak..lucikly had a spare blacktop engine at the workshop,open the tensioner rod and we replace it.put on another spare vvt campulley and install back..start engine...1000rpm no krook sound....2000 no krook sound...7000rpm no krook sound..

ok,problem solve..will monitor the thing..hope this helps other 20v users too..

btw,anyone knew how to clean the inner part of the vvt pulley?..my mech told me maybe due to dirty engine oil, it clogged the hydraulic..

Last edited:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi Guys.

Have anyone using Powerzone LSD?

What is the spec? It's clutch type LSD?

What is the price?

Any feedback and opinion is WELCOME!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience