Canning of children by parents and teachers

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Yesterday I went to a primary school to collect some items from a friend so as I was waiting for him (a teacher) I sat at the area where other parents where sitting there waiting for their children so I overheard the topic of teacher canning students and the parents all say go sue the teacher or report to police and they say teacher cannot cane the students.

Back in my days, teacher caning students is a very common sight and if we break the school regulation or didn't finish our homework we get to eat the stick. Kena rotan la.....back then, no parents seems to complain about it or go all out lawyer and newspaper..etc... I remember up until secondary school I still get caned by teachers or the disciplinary teacher if I break the regulation even so the teacher would called to my parents and tell them I got caned because of this or that but my parents did even have an urge to sue the teacher or go all crazy about "why you cane my son?"

Even my parents cane me when I was being naughty and all sometimes even caned until can see the rotan marks on my butt and legs or hands. But if parents do this now, they will be labeled as abusive parents.

For me, I'm curious how this No canning of students started in school and if the students do wrong why can't teacher canned them? you break the rules you kena la. If in future my kids grow up he/she did something wrong beside scolding I will canned them if they don't listen or still hard headed.

Besides canning, letting them understand the mistake they make and what;s not is also important but I think that canning is part of the package in parenting.

When I think back, if my mum that time didn't cane me so hard everytime I did the wrong things or the dangerous ones. Today I would not be here posting this. I might be dead because I went to swim in the tin mine lake or end up in prison for mixing around with really bad people.

In view of today's society, I see a lot of parents tell me don't cane the children talk to them. I agree on the talking side but how much of the talking that the kids will even listen? They told me canning the kids next time they grow up will become very un-confidence and scare to do things. Really? my mum canes me until I've lost count and I'm still have my confidence today and won't be afraid to take on things that is unknown. Is kids these days so weak? due to the wrong parenting method? no Canning? I see now most of the youngster some age 14 really no pay respect to teachers or even the parents. I see this a lot when I sit down at restaurant and you can see how the kids talked to the parent like they are not the parents.

So what's you take on this issue? My own opinion is that teacher should be given the right to cane students if they fail to complete the given homework on time and when they break the school regulation and parents should not make such a big fuss on over protecting their kids. As for parents, I believe other than explaining to them the wrong doings and what is wrong or right I believe responsible canning is a must in parenting.

My definition of responsible canning is. There are times to use the cane and when it's not the time to use it. Canning on the butt, hand or the leg enough.

cacing

Apr 16, 2004
Back in my school days, my parents even encouraged my teachers to give me a public caning in front of the whole school instead of infront of the class. At least that makes me think twice before engaging in naughty stuffs.

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
No canning policy evolved the younger generation to be brats and "do whatever i like and get away with it" attitude. And with parents supporting this cause, they are yet also involved in not being properly educated to replace or substitute with positive reinforcements. "i want ipad!" get. "I want iphone!" get. "Shit you lah! I want white and you got me black!!@%^#@^$"... dafuq...?

I will gladly find back those old school feather duster canes and discipline my children. When needed. The lesson instilled is its a consequence. physical pain is temporary but emotional damage if not properly conveyed will mold to character.. IMO.

Last edited:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
caning.....isnt it normal? i always kena caning in school & at home....so its something normal for me :bawling:

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

anyways from my experience, when my daughter started tadika early this year, on her 1st week of school, biasala many
kids will cry...its normal...& the teachers will be around to comfort them...."dont cry la....your mom is just outside...its gonna be fun in school".....together with a pat on the kids back.

on the 3rd week of school i took a day off to take my daughter's book as she was sick at home, i saw this poor boy crying for his mom & the teacher grab hold of his arm & scolded him "dont cry, get up & get into class".....the got up & walked to class sobbing. really pity him...if im the parent of the little boy i sure will be furious...luckly its a female...if its a male & shout at my kid id definately give him a punch & then talk later.

so its normal teachers act good & kind behind in front of parents, but behind we wont know.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I say to teachers better to save their energy canning students....esp. since many (overprotective or overpampering) parents opposed the idea of canning their golden boy or golden girl. Nowadays all housework is done by indon maid. Golden boy and golden girl at home only know how to whine, quarrel, throw tantrum at home. They never even make their own bed, dont even carry their own school bags.

IF those golden boy and golden girl grown up and become spoilt brats, they let their parent suffer by themselves. Let them cry until no tears. As the saying goes "can eat salt fish, can tahan the thirst".

Personally I would agree with idea of "spare the rod, spoil the child".

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Yes, caning have been a trend or I would say a way to teach children many decades back before I was even born. But nowadays,
lots of parents are trying to avoid canning but talk to their children nicely. Is actually what the Americans or would call them 'Guai Lou'
have been practicing in their country.

So, most of us Malaysians are also trying to use ways like that to educate our children. But then Canning can somewhat be a good
thing to remember for kids. I mean we can always remain the canning culture of us Chinese. I believe Chinese are the ones who have
been practicing canning since decades back.

But in this modern world, people are trying to put canning to last resort. Some don't even bother canning because they felt
heartache if to cane their children. I have a colleague who have a real naughty elder son who would always bully the sister
and real naughty. Reasons? She and her husband never even cane them once but just hold the cane in their hand as a warning.

Ya, I was there witnessing how she keep her kids behave, she just warn them by showing the cane. He stop at that moment
but continue again right after. Even dare take the cane from his mum hand and play. Is like to him, mum is just playing.

If it was my son, he is gonna get a real good one from me. Not to encourage canning but then sometimes, some canning is a must
to educate our younger ones.

I agree and I thank my parents for canning me so bad that my legs even had blue black once. If not, like TitanRev said, God knows
where am I right now or what kind of person will I grow up as today.

Of all siblings I get the most canning and I can see the difference in the way I speak to my parents and the way my younger siblings
do. Comparing the punishments I get with my other siblings. Still so far, non of us have put ourselves in any deep shit things.

Children nowadays in the modern world is different. They learn things faster than us last time. They pick up things faster. Pro and Cons.
You don't teach them when they are young, they won't listen when they grow up. And things we do or say, we got to be real careful.

About the teachers canning their children? Simple, more kids are born in a well off family nowadays, unlike us who come from
poor family. These spoilt brats the possibility of them getting cane at home is minimum. So, they would complain to their parents
and parents will see the teacher straight away even if it is just a cane without marks.

Last time when I got canned by teacher, went home and told my parents and they replied

"Good la, it must be you who have done something wrong which is why the teacher canned you"

Not like kids nowadays, pampered and too much love given.

Son: Dad, my teacher canned me today because I didnt finish my homework
Dad: Which teacher canned you!? What's her name!? Tomorrow I'll go and see the teacher in school"
How dare they canned my son.

These are the things happening right now. Sad.

I admit there are bad and real mean teachers but then, nowadays small things adi teacher adi kena sue.
To me teachers use canned okay. As long as they dont use their hands will do.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I think nowadays only the Headmaster can cane the students and also on the open palm only.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
An Alternatives. Besides Canning we can always try this way before resorted in using Canes.

Which is Grounding them from doing something they love most.

Canning is not the way to discpline children

The issue of canning children and students has surfaced again. It looks as if it is a no ending subject in the education
circle and among parents too. First of all, we must agree that punishment is necessary to discipline our children and
students. But is canning the way to discipline a child or a student? Do we think that by canning a child or a student,
he or she can be disciplined? I am afraid we are not taking the right approach in this matter.

In raising and disciplining children, I believe in the golden rule: reward and punishment. These are two pillars.
These two noble principles will ensure stability and order in families and in the world at large. Good deeds should
be appreciated and bad behaviour should not be condoned and dealt seriously. By upholding this principle, justice
is endorsed in child-raising. In this context, parents play a crucial role in executing these two noble principles.

For example, whenever a mother sees that her child has done well, let her praise and applaud him and cheer
his heart. If the slightest undesirable trait should manifest itself, let the mother or father counsel the child and
punish him, and use means based on reason, even a slight verbal chastisement should this be necessary. The
child needs to be explained the wrong doing before punishment is carried out.

However, it is not permissible to strike a child, or vilify him, for the child’s character will be totally perverted if he
be subjected to blows or verbal abuse. Children receiving canning can be affected emotionally and psychologically.
Children are not beasts to be canned. They are human beings with a soul. Even there are international organizations
like the Blue Cross advocate that animals should be treated well, and not beaten. What more, children who are
human beings?

Sometime ago, I was interviewed by a local TV channel asking me to commend on this issue. I emphatically told
that no canning of children, but emphasized the need for punishment in raising children. I strongly disagree canning
as one form of punishment. We need to execute punishment in different ways and more in a more humane manner.
Unfortunately, many parents today support the notion to cane children to ascertain discipline among children.

It is not the physical pain a child should experience through canning as a form of punishment, but rather the pain
of deprivation of things the child likes. This is what child experts and psychologists advocate to parents and educators.
What are the ways and methods?

This is the challenge we face now. It is suggested children should be denied and deprived the things they love most,
like ice-cream, KFC outing, watching TV, playing with friends, playing computer games, using sophisticated gadgets
like IPod, etc. etc.

Deprivation of this nature will make the children feel the pain, too. This will make them regret their actions which
results this deprivation. Next time, they will make sure; they will not get into mischievous acts and thereby punished.

Therefore, parents and educators need to change their perspective with regards to canning children as a form of discipline.
Proverbs like ‘spare the rod and spoil the child’ should be discarded. In the current changes, such holding need to give way
for modern thoughts and strategies in handling discipline among children.
Somehow I would say I agree and disagree in Canning. But I would put Canning as last resort and try on verbal advice,
grounding them or ban them from doing something.

Is like educating my younger sister, as a brother I can't canned her or slap her. I can only give verbal advise and warning.
I did ground my younger sister before from using my laptop if she behaves badly or something.

Works or not is another thing but at least she will know that she will be grounded for a month if she repeat that attitude.

Just the same way we can try to use to educate younger childrens. If it doesnt work, canning will come in.

Source: http://drnathesan.blogspot.com/2012/05/canning-is-not-way-to-discpline.html

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
An Alternatives. Besides Canning we can always try this way before resorted in using Canes.

Which is Grounding them from doing something they love most.

Somehow I would say I agree and disagree in Canning. But I would put Canning as last resort and try on verbal advice,
grounding them or ban them from doing something.

Is like educating my younger sister, as a brother I can't canned her or slap her. I can only give verbal advise and warning.
I did ground my younger sister before from using my laptop if she behaves badly or something.

Works or not is another thing but at least she will know that she will be grounded for a month if she repeat that attitude.

Just the same way we can try to use to educate younger childrens. If it doesnt work, canning will come in.

Source: Blog bahasa: Canning is not the way to discpline children

yes even during our time also teacher wont direct cane....

for light cases call or stand in front during assembly only maaa....

if heavy cases like caught smoking or fighting only kena public canning

SloMo

Known Member
Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
i bet those who trying to stop canning from happening in school are those who never been canned before. if our generations and those before us never get canned would we still be here? if canning is so taboo why so many in those 'canning' generations still be successful now?

we get canned, slapped, stand on chair/table, stand outside the classroom and so many other methods of discipline but one thing for sure these made us what we are now and proud of it.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
My relatives have some kids that are aged between 4 to 6. You know kids these days. Other Ipad still Ipad so what the parents did was deny them the Ipad but in respond the child just throw tantrum and cry at the parents. When asked them to eat or shower they refuse because the parents deny them the Ipad or the things they like. So what's next if they behave like this? just close 1 eye? I see a lot of parents like this. Take away the thing the kids like and the kids show you that angry face, throw tantrum, bang the door when he close it. If they are left t behave like this everytime they will always be like this when they grow up.

For me, I'm not going to be the one the would spoil the child. I've see children in shopping mall when parents scold them they just shout loudly in public area or causing a nuisance to the public and the parents just do nothing about it.

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
i wont take my children to shopping malls.... take them go outdoor trekking, camping, motorsport events, beaches, go out to playground n meet friends, keeping pets....experience life. so much to see than department stores. i'll ban wifi, ipad games and shopping malls with my kids.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
I was canne countless times during childhood time, but I oppose canning in school and at my home.

Firstly there are more ways to discipline a child than canning.

Secondly canning/use of force in school could be abused or lead to unintended injury. Unless it's carried out by a trained discipline teacher.

I personally don't cane children at home because I use other disciplinary measures but it's up to other individual to decide what course of action they deem fit, after all it's their own children.

Anyway sometimes we feel how silly we were and get a good laugh when recalling those rattan eating era. It's an experience. Physical punishment including canning is acceptable when it's done in a proper and moderate way.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
i wont take my children to shopping malls.... take them go outdoor trekking, camping, motorsport events, beaches, go out to playground n meet friends, keeping pets....experience life. so much to see than department stores. i'll ban wifi, ipad games and shopping malls with my kids.
Bro, didnt know u r married with kids man. Look so young :rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I wanted to install an amp which stated that the voltage supply cannot exceed more than 13.5vdc.......... In car the voltage can peak to 14.4vdc.

Anyone out there can give me any suggestion how to maintain my car voltage between 12vdc to 13.5vdc?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience