Can Malaysian build 8. sec. drag car!

20vturbo

500 RPM
Nov 19, 2003
Sarawak
www.club4ag.com
well,it's interesting to know that drag racing starts as early as 70's here in malaysia.i always tought it started with batu 3 and pasir gudang circuit. one more man you forgot to mention is Ah lun from bengkel kolopis.he did brought his car, a yellow ae86 turbo to play at batu tiga few years back and get to be featured in Hypertune magazine.

HP Gila

Dec 16, 2004
Originally posted by 20vturbo@Jan 10 2005, 08:15
well,it's interesting to know that drag racing starts as early as 70's here in malaysia.i always tought it started with batu 3 and pasir gudang circuit. one more man you forgot to mention is Ah lun from bengkel kolopis.he did brought his car, a yellow ae86 turbo to play at batu tiga few years back and get to be featured in Hypertune magazine.
No, from 60' have more exciting stories in west here, JB, Penang & b4 Batu 3 track opened in 1968. If U pay respect to meet those old timers like Mr. Harvey Yap, Garry, Bob, William & .... so on. then U seat down, keep quite and start listening to them.

Indeed beside ah lun, there are some more Sabahans have put lot efforts/hassle, money here to perform their very best. but I can only mentioned those Sabahans who got race records here, Or else people will think this is just talk only.

** Talking big is the MOST easiest thing in this world especially after the few cents coffee **

kelisa187

Known Member
Mar 30, 2004
Visit site
garry?u mean garry chua?that perodua rally expert?

DRiftAGster

Known Member
Jul 6, 2004
HP Gila, i guess since those days where we have cars imported into malaysia, drag racing would have already started, so it could even be as early as late 50's i guess. hehehee.... i could be wrong, just my opinion....

why?? because i can tell you any 2 driver with a car would want to "test power" against each other and surely "drag racing" on straight roads would have started by then. but i believe malaysia started drag racing late "officially" because it was until bt3 that malaysia can have a drag race in a "track". but even then it was just sprint test, without proper timing system. however, i guess the official christmas tree only came in lately to sepang.....

i may be wrong but now i notice that more and more racers are looking for good ET which previously most of them ignore because what they wanted last time was to outrun their opponent..... now that drag racing is getting hot in malaysia, hopefully all drag enthusiast will work hard together to bring malaysian drag racing to world level.....

HP Gila

Dec 16, 2004
Hi, DRiftAGster, U have easily express all this!

We are lucky now to have a world class F1 track here. The North wing of this 0 deg. flat level long straight is ideal for drag challenge, especially equipped with the new NHRA X'mas tree. ET would only be obviously affected by monsoon wind blows; either east or west directions. ET means it has to caculate the RT, so there will no more curi ayam[jump start]. This X'mas tree is clever enough to know that anybody curi ayam even he/she starts simultaneously with its green light on.

Eevolution3

Known Member
Aug 15, 2004
X mas tree is there, track is level but unfortunately we dun have a VHT prepared drag surface at the launch pad.. That helps in lowering the 60ft times which is so esential for good E.T's.. Makes big flat sticky slicks not very effective.. ;)

HP Gila

Dec 16, 2004
Originally posted by Eevolution3@Jan 11 2005, 14:28
X mas tree is there, track is level but unfortunately we dun have a VHT prepared drag surface at the launch pad.. That helps in lowering the 60ft times which is so esential for good E.T's.. Makes big flat sticky slicks not very effective.. ;)
Yes, U are absolutely right. The Sepang track is mainly for world class F1 racing. When compare to most foreign drag strips which have better launching grip surface, this Sepang straight will not easy to allow those powerful drag machines from oversea to lift up their front portion.

It means an 8.xx sec. car from the US most probably shall become 9.xx sec.

tony5050

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
guys,

sepang doesnt even allow to do any burnout too...slicks were just at their minimal performance
9sec EG from US did 11s when the sent to Bangkok few years back when launching on the concrete surface in one of their air-base :lol:

DRiftAGster

Known Member
Jul 6, 2004
so lets hope for a "more" proper drag strip coming up soon..... i really think malaysians can make it into the 9s and probably 8s very soon.... ALL drag enthusiasts out there -- keep up the good job!!!! :P

HP Gila

Dec 16, 2004
What it takes for d 8s? It seems not an easy task for a near 50 yrs. old tuning expert & ex-racer that works in Sunway. He began with many ??? had to be answered:
1.How much engine hp to be made from d car?
2.How is the Cg? 3.What is the Cd, & final car weight?
4.What criteria to considered for the gearing itself:
reliability,performance, consistency, efficiency & cost?
5.what…… &..?
He crunched these ??? to aid in going faster in Sepang drag. When asked to simulated or predicted any further performances; a basic trap speed & elapsed time must be obtained first with an simplifies equation for new plan:
HP + Weight > Trap speed = ET.

How U guys think?

nova1

Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by HP Gila@Jan 19 2005, 10:49
What it takes for d 8s? It seems not an easy task for a near 50 yrs. old tuning expert & ex-racer that works in Sunway. He began with many ??? had to be answered:
1.How much engine hp to be made from d car?
2.How is the Cg? 3.What is the Cd, & final car weight?
4.What criteria to considered for the gearing itself:
reliability,performance, consistency, efficiency & cost?
5.what…… &..?
He crunched these ??? to aid in going faster in Sepang drag. When asked to simulated or predicted any further performances; a basic trap speed & elapsed time must be obtained first with an simplifies equation for new plan:
HP + Weight > Trap speed = ET.

How U guys think?
Aren't there tons of formulae and equations on the internet which you could refer as a guide to getting what you want? The questions are what should be the correct values to plug into the formulae to work out the answers. Example, do you need a wind tunnel to get the value of coefficient of drag(Cd) for your car?

HP Gila

Dec 16, 2004
What this tuner means is : Let say, at present your basic ET is 11sec. powered by a 450hp engine with the weight of 1000kg. at trap speed of 198km. By reduce weight of 100kg for future upgrading will predicted for 10.6sec. @216km. performance at current hp levels. And much more engine power or ……. will be required to get in the eight.

antonio

Old Member
Jul 27, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Originally posted by HP Gila@Dec 18 2004, 02:03
This answer is quite right but sometime $$$ is not superd. Most of us know that in some top F1 terms like Honda F1, Toyota F1 , Mclaren F1 & etc. They are all very rich but still cannot beat the Ferrari technology for 5 years.
they have the experianced micheal schumacher.....and experianced cannot be bought wif money.... :lol:

so money plays a very most important role....if schuey drives minardi,minardi wont win oso....

Force Performance

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
Borneo
Who will be D 1st to break 8 sec. barrier in Sepang?

Really it is not easy to go into the 8 in the Sepang drag battle. We should be able to see that the well-prepaid Jap. 1/4 mile garage Nissan Skyline & the Top Fuel Honda both were not easy to achieve below 9 sec.

HP Gila

Dec 16, 2004
Force Performance said:
Really it is not easy to go into the 8 in the Sepang drag battle. We should be able to see that the well-prepaid Jap. 1/4 mile garage Nissan Skyline & the Top Fuel Honda both were not easy to achieve below 9 sec.
Please note that more drag monsters will perform in the next coming drag battle R3 on 2 July.

• There is a group of monster car builders from Japan – The King of the tuning expert in Kansai, which leaded by the elder tuner of ‘AUTO SELECT’ are preparing a Nissan Skyline GTR with all d best new tuning parts in a Sunway workshop. They utilize the most powerful brand-new OS 3.0L. Engine/ Seq. transmissions/Carbon prop. Shaft & …
  • Several months of carbon body preparation in Japan is also right timing for the Singaporean Garage’R’ EVO 6 joins d coming drags battle.
  • Few unit drags machines from foreign countries arrange to arrive Sepang in this year.
All these foreign tuners are targeted to break into the 8 sec. Drags challenge at Sepang in near future.