Better cooling system for engine, perdana v6 manual NA

hex999

Known Member
Oct 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Well today after a bit of aggressive driving, my radiator gave up on me after 12 years. On the highway, engine was shut down and i notice the temperature was above normal. My friend was driving my car and he managed to control the car well on a corner and slowly breaking with the hand brake until the side of the road, was worried about the engine, so i checked the engine oil after some time and was happy it looks normal and no MILO colour.. no white smoke at the exhaust as well..

took some time for the car to cool down, poor around 5-8 1.5l mineral bottles near a petrol station nearby.. and than drove to a nearby mechanic.. he took out the old radiator and notice the braket down there had broken.. and told me it cost a around hundred ++ to fix it, so i just told him to change it.. i asked for an aluminum radiator but well, too bad its CNY and all the shops are closed, took us like 20 minutes to look for a mechanic. So he replace it with a wira 1.6 radiator, according to him perdana v6 is using the same one as wira 1.6 and other 1.8 models, i asked my mechanic to double confirm it and went ahead.. after one round, water was starting to leak at the thermostat, it was jammed so just told him to change it.. after that it was alright...

so for now im still unsatisfied with my stock cooling, what can i do to make it better? just spend rm490 to fix all those stuff because i had no options and it was urgent and the place was around 40km away from my hometown. it was around kempas..
so all sifu's here please give me some advice to keep my engine cool, im using a manual tranny so sometimes i do rev high 7-7.5, accidentally went to 8 a couple of time... just for the thrill :D

and another new problem arise after they changed those stuff is my engine a bit hard to start up with air con, probably battery getting weaker.

virus-v6

Known Member
May 30, 2006
the best way is to change a alluminium radiator.it brings out the heat fast.since ur using a manual tranny,try not to rev so high with stock coz stock machine cant rev high.reving high will cause ur temp high.i had used a perdana v6 b4.each time i rev high my temp goes up.(when it was stock)

try not to use aircon when start up.thats not a good way to warm up ur engine.there shouldn't be any radio,air con or watever accs should be on n when u never on those, it will make ur battery gets charged n engine will be a bit lighter during warm up.

hex999

Known Member
Oct 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Since it was CNY, all shops were closed had no choice to get the original one temporarily, so guess RM400 burn lol,

Is an aluminum radiator really effective? I heard it's cheaper, what are the pro's and con's of using an aluminum radiator, and whats a good brand for it? thanks for the reply boss

virus-v6

Known Member
May 30, 2006
i'm using koyo alluminium radiotor.for bout 2 years.just as long u take care of the coolant n never let the water become rusty in the radiator,i guess it will last long.the disadvantage of aluminium radiator is once it is ''sumbat'' u have to throw away n get new one.

G221

Over 10,000 RPM!
Jan 15, 2004
KL
Forged Racing if u r interested with. can pm me. :biggrin:

Koyo is an excellent product too..

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
if alu rad will costs u rm400 just itself.....
im not sure whether wira 1.6/1.8 radiator is the same as pv6 or not....but im using RVR turbo ones...bigger than eterna & evo......fan bracket has to be fabricated....can DIY also.....

anyways, try using ori toyota coolant (red)....it helps reduce the water/engine temp.

how long since u have changed yr current batt?

hex999

Known Member
Oct 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Forged Racing if u r interested with. can pm me. :biggrin:

Koyo is an excellent product too..
Well do your shop accept trade in for a used brand new radiator? i mean a bit of discount :D cause i just changed to new one and will feel a bit wasted if i don't use it.

if alu rad will costs u rm400 just itself.....
im not sure whether wira 1.6/1.8 radiator is the same as pv6 or not....but im using RVR turbo ones...bigger than eterna & evo......fan bracket has to be fabricated....can DIY also.....

anyways, try using ori toyota coolant (red)....it helps reduce the water/engine temp.

how long since u have changed yr current batt?
I see bro, right now am using a red coolant, dont know is it toyota or what. I will try looking for a good aluminum radiator soon, dont want any more headache, but i guess the main problem that cause my old radiator to break down because at the thermostat there sumbat of rust. thus blocking the water passage, i guess gotta do full flushing.
My battery less than 1 year old.

i'm using koyo alluminium radiotor.for bout 2 years.just as long u take care of the coolant n never let the water become rusty in the radiator,i guess it will last long.the disadvantage of aluminium radiator is once it is ''sumbat'' u have to throw away n get new one.

thanks for the advice bro.

Last edited:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
i dont think shops will trade in old radiator, must well keep it as spare or post it on marketplace.
for now just use it till it fails on u again then only change to those aluminium ones. red coolant should be toyota la but just double confirm, could be immitation.

thats y i always flush my radiator once every 2 mths....to prevent rust build up inside the engine.....u could also DIY, will take u less than 10 mins....

hex999

Known Member
Oct 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
The radiator is new, anyways today my car overheated again and now my gasket is fucked, water shoots out at the radiator when engine start... I'm in jb and need to reach KL by saturday and all shops are closed because of CNY. I guess the standard radiator cant take the power of the manual gearbox lol.. should of changed it long before.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
is it double layer radiator? u have to monitor yr water/engine temp from time to time, do not let the needle pass 90degrees.......
so how now? how u know yr gasket kong edi?

virus-v6

Known Member
May 30, 2006
maybe check ur radiator cap.try to change to better one.how do u know ur gasket kong?

hex999

Known Member
Oct 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
When the cap is open, when i start the engine. Water shoots out quite high from the radiator, there is no themostat also blocking the path, well I think the gasket fucked up already. I seriously do monitor the temperature, when was cruising I saw the temperature became cooler so I was happy lol, after suddenly slow down at a corner in a traffic light, it rise up to 3 quarter fast and boom engine off. When i open the bonnet, I saw the first hose where the cool water goes in the engine cabut.. when i touch the radiator it was cold.. that time there was a new themostat already. I went back to the guy who did my car when it broke down the first time 2 days ago, he told me to took out the themostat and he also put the fan to spin for 24/7.. I'm doing this as a temporary solution until my mechanic back from CNY holidays.. but now im not sure if my car save to travel to KL.

Engine oil still not milo colour, and exhaust do not come out white fumes or anything, and im still not sure if the gasket really bakar or no. Dam suey when car break down during CNY, we really depend on all china man for spare parts haha :D

sarutobi84

Known Member
Aug 12, 2009
Johor Bahru
swift-turbo-malaysia.blogspot.sg
Your head gasket already doom,thats why all the combustion pressure went to the radiator.why your radiator cold is because all the water already evaporate in the combustion chamber,ill guess you need to do top overhaul.ask pomen to check your engineinternal,look for exessive knocking if have.change oil engine as well.

hex999

Known Member
Oct 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Yeah bro, thanks for the advice. 2nd time changing the gasket in 1 year, I should of change the radiator to a bigger one at that time and also do flushing every 2 months, all the rust build up, clogged the themostat. But its strange, why is a 1.6 wira using the same radiator as perdana v6, i thought a higher and more powerful engine would need better cooling?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi there all,
Just wanted some expert opinion on whether I should turbo charge my Honda Accord year model 2001? I like the size and everything but I feel some lack in the power side hence, my interest to give it a little boost.
I have even opted for other cars in the market such as Caldina, Legacy, etc...but none of em' actually fits in my bill in terms of cost and have quite content with the Accord which I have however, as mentioned, I just need a little boost with it.
Would...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience