best engine oil ratings for skylines in malaysian weather?

ManR34

Known Member
Jul 11, 2005
KL
hi

post ur engine oil ratings???

i will be testing out 10W40 motul oil..

skyline fellow members using what? please post up brands and ratings! thanks!

i heard 15W50 better for the malaysian hot weather conditions?

but i like to have low W's
using 5W30 in aust is just fantastic! can c rpm move very fast! :D
even tried 0W once....crazy! felt like engine had no oil..! hahaaha...somemore the gas pedal felt very light :D

cheers!

BUMP ME N HUMP ME :D

Last edited:

gobiz

500 RPM
May 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
my ex gtr used to use 10w40 motul if i remember right, for my gtst i used shell helix ultra. both damn expensive.

now happy with my iswara, less than rm50 can change oil :)

ManR34

Known Member
Jul 11, 2005
KL
not just expensive oil prices but not to forget cyclinders...

skylines=6...hahah cost more lar....thats like 1L per cycliner
so 6L u need...

some more GTRs usually have oil coolers=need extra litres of oil...6L++ hahahahaaha

evos & subies=4 cyc => about 1 bottle of 4L only!!!....oh how unfair! :D

i guess all fully syn oils are good...but motul just kicks ass :D

cossie

Known Member
May 10, 2004
MY
cossie.blogspot.com
What SAE Ratings Mean

ManR34 said:
i heard 15W50 better for the malaysian hot weather conditions?

but i like to have low W's
using 5W30 in aust is just fantastic! can c rpm move very fast! :D
even tried 0W once....crazy! felt like engine had no oil..!
the 'lightness' of the oil is determined by the number following the 'W' character. the number before the 'W' signifies the viscosity index of that particular formulation of lubricant with respect to low temperatures.

SAE Kinematic Viscosity of Engine Oil

Viscosity @ 100oC (cSt) : SAE Rating
  • 16.3 - 21.9 : 50
  • 12.5 - 16.3 : 40
  • 9.3 - 12.5 : 30
  • 5.6 - 9.3 : 20
  • less than 5.6 : 10

SAE Winter Rating of Engine Oil

Low temperature rating : Temperature at which oil is usable (degrees celsius)
  • 25w : -5
  • 20w : -10
  • 15w : -15
  • 10w : -20
  • 5w : -25
  • 0w : -30 and below

so the first number, nW does not have any effect in malaysian climates. even when our engine is cool (in genting highlands the temperature is 15 degrees celsius at the very least) the engine oil in our engine is 'relatively warm' and is at a 'high' viscosity.

the rating, Wnn determines what the viscosity of the oil is at the operating temperature of the engine. the 'warmer' the engine, the thinner the oil becomes. the number Wnn is an indication to how much the oil is able to withstand high temperatures. it makes good sense to use an oil with higher rating if the engine will be operated at high temperatures. this is very important for supercharged or turbocharged engines which uses the engine oil as its coolant.

the 'spread' of the rating of the lubricant is also a telling sign as to how much additives are present in the oil as a ratio to the actual oil that does the job of lubricating the parts in the engine. an engine oil that has a 'wide' range such as 0W60 contains a lot of additives that allows it to meet this wide range thus sacrificing the amount of oil by volume or percentage. the more 'flexible' the oil is to climate changes, the lower its ability to provide protection although it is superior to other oils with respect to the temperatures which it will flow.

since the temperature in malaysia is 'narrow' (18 degees celsius to 38 degrees celsius), there is no need to use a 'wide' rated oil and benefits can be reaped by using a 'narrow' rated oil as it provides more engine protection. an oil with a rating of 20W50 has a 'difference' of '30' thus it does not require as much additives to 'stretch' the abilities of the oil.

the perfect oil will be a SAE50 or higher oil with no provisions for operation in winter. this 'prefect' oil will just contain the necessary lubricant in addition to the other additives such as anti-rust, anti-foam and others that are required in today's engines.

you're right about the engine feeling like it was not running on any oil while using the SAE30 oil in australia. at high temperatures, the oil becomes very thin and during high-Gs, or high piston velocities, the oil film is minimal if it was present at all. high engine wear will result with this usage. this is similar to the cases for racing engines which are built to last only during the race or a few races. it provides greater power output but the engine is considered expendable.

ManR34

Known Member
Jul 11, 2005
KL
cossie:

thanks for the info!

always can rely on u for engine foods :D

if that the case i had wish motul make 10w50!!?!

but that is sacrificing the "spread" too much?? ie 40 difference

but i guess 15w50 and 10w50 not so much difference???

i want 5w60 :D

stievorex

Oct 20, 2005
ManR34 said:
cossie:

thanks for the info!

always can rely on u for engine foods :D

if that the case i had wish motul make 10w50!!?!

but that is sacrificing the "spread" too much?? ie 40 difference

but i guess 15w50 and 10w50 not so much difference???

i want 5w60 :D
Trylah Q8 F1 10w-50,bang for your bucks!

satigue

Known Member
Apr 21, 2005
ManR34,

how much u bought yr motul for? what series izit?had to buy 4l & 1l bottles?
i m gona try Q8 on my next oil change. or motul if the price is ok. any recommendations?

kevin62

Known Member
Aug 15, 2005
Penang
Our hot country no way to see the word of W. W is stand for winter.

U guys need to consider after the W word. For Skyline should use 40.

ManR34

Known Member
Jul 11, 2005
KL
satigue said:
ManR34,

how much u bought yr motul for? what series izit?had to buy 4l & 1l bottles?
i m gona try Q8 on my next oil change. or motul if the price is ok. any recommendations?
for motul 4l i bought it off a guy for 180rm...it retails too expensive! like rm235+

i am using motul 15w50
tried 10w40 previously
both feels like same shit...temp still goes hot in da 15w50
some reason i heard motul gets the engine hotter and q8 doesn't...

u try q8 and let me know if ur temp goes to 110+ of hardcore driving...but i think its becos of the way i drive...hard to know really ...somebody let me drive their r34 gtt with Q8 oil inside, then i can confirm on this theory :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Car nuts are generally separated into two categories, one are the showers, and the performance junkies. They may not see eye-to-eye on a lot of things, like why performance is better than just looking good, and though the choice of ride of these two junkies are vastly different, they are mostly united by one common passion, cars. So show them anything about a good looking car or a really fast one or a great...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience