> b16a

CasperR

Aug 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
But been reading around that people suggest getting B20 Block, B16A Head instead of the whole B16A.

1. Anyone mind explaining what's the function of both head and block in details?
2. Why is getting B20 block and B16A head over the whole B16A better?

Last edited:

EGNINE

500 RPM
Jan 8, 2006
b16 block is 1600cc
b20 block is 2000cc

b16 got powerfull VTEC head
b20 crv head not a powerfull vtec head...(not sure can someone correct me hehe)

so getting powerfull b16 vtec head combo with 2000cc b20 block will yield more hp and torque ler...now it become 2000cc car ler not 1600cc anymore...

u got to endorse to 2000cc legally or punch b16 illegally..its ur choice hehe

CasperR

Aug 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Meaning the block determine the displacement of the car, in other words determine the top speed. And the head determines the torque?

shah5755

Known Member
Apr 20, 2007
Pj....kch
go for it bro.....b16a head+b20b blocks then u'll get wat others could only dreams:biggrin:
refering to myself:burnout:

EGNINE

500 RPM
Jan 8, 2006
Meaning the block determine the displacement of the car, in other words determine the top speed. And the head determines the torque?
the block determine the displacement

the head determine the volumetric efficiency...

dunno how to explain lorr..need sifu to help u...or u might ask mr google

CasperR

Aug 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
the block determine the displacement

the head determine the volumetric efficiency...

dunno how to explain lorr..need sifu to help u...or u might ask mr google
Anyone mind explaining this in further?

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

guys....you a suggesting a HYBRID to a newbie he he he
Not exactly. Had a few months of experience driving the B16A, and learning about it. So thinking of swapping :)

lucian^^Gk

Known Member
Sep 23, 2009
Sarawak
from wat i know, b20b block will giv u veri high torque compare to a torqueless b16a engine. They call this combination as frankeistein if not mistaken. But this hybrid is a high torque engine not a high revs engine~meaning no 7k, 8k or 9k rpm everyday...

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
simply put,der's no replacement 4 displacement.....
but of course,having a 2L doesn't guarantee dat u'll b faster thn a 1.6L anyway...
it all boils down 2 how much u r willing 2 spend n how much knowledge u haf...
but of course stock vs stock,a B20 set up will whoop a B16A's ass lar....
but but.....2L's roadtax=RM371.90 annually
1.6L's roadtax=RM90 annually
n whn u factor in insurance premium sum more?i love my B16!hahahahahaha

CasperR

Aug 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
from wat i know, b20b block will giv u veri high torque compare to a torqueless b16a engine. They call this combination as frankeistein if not mistaken. But this hybrid is a high torque engine not a high revs engine~meaning no 7k, 8k or 9k rpm everyday...
From what I read above, block determines the displacement. And from what you're saying, it determines torque as well? In that case, what does the head functions as? Volumetric efficiency? What it means?

Which component of the engine determines the high revving engine requirement btw?

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Akuma, love the B16A I'm driving as well. But time for an upgrade :)

Last edited:

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
i was once like u, not too long ago, didn't really know anything but quite willing to learn (just lazy wanna use google =Pp) so let me try to break it down for u, correct me if im wrong sifu-sifu sekalian.

with a 2.0 block (b20), you gain more torque as torque and cc positively correlates. (bigger cc = more torque). the reason ppl use b16/18 head is solely for the vtec function. original b20 doesn't have vtec. its just a DOHC (new one not sure but we're talking about b20b). so matching the b16a head with a b20 block u get both. a vtec head with a powerful 2.0 torque monster block. however, the block isn't made for high rev, unlike b16/b18's, therefore, reliability would be your main issue.

b16a is no doubt a fun engine to drive, but after awhile the pull isn't there. same will go for b20.. hehe. making a b20 reliable? now that would require some well spent cash. to be honest, plonking in a stock b20 block with b16a head, wouldn't do much justice. power wise of course u will gain, but b20's stock piston has such low compression... 9-ish if i'm not mistaken?

EGNINE

500 RPM
Jan 8, 2006
From what I read above, block determines the displacement. And from what you're saying, it determines torque as well? In that case, what does the head functions as? Volumetric efficiency? What it means?

Which component of the engine determines the high revving engine requirement btw?

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Akuma, love the B16A I'm driving as well. But time for an upgrade :)
try search at google for these item:

1-volumetric efficiancy
2-stroke ratio
3-engine balancing
4-camshaft duration
5-forge piston and conrod

it may helf u

cad843

Known Member
Mar 23, 2005
Oita Ken
Thread owner ...

1. U wanna upgrade for a track set up b16's or just a fun daily driven car?
2. And the most important things ... how much $$$$ u willing to spend ... ??

Fr my experience ...
1. Some b20+b16 = kow hp + tork = :driver:
2. Some b20+b16 = kabomm = :bawling:
3. Some b20+b16 = $$$ not enough = :banghead:

Actually, b16a enuff for certain people but not all .... try list down ur current set up before u aim for 2.0l. Last time I also blur .. during that time still using d15 and wanna upgrade the engine or swap the engine (b series) ... so I search for b16a ... b16b ... b16a+b20b ... b18c .. b18cR ... but at the same time I try to push my d15 until the end limit but still not satisfied ... happened like No. 2 ... kaboomm ...

Ended up ... I check my pocket and go for something that suit my $$$

Bear in mind all the hidden cost ... as mentioned above rtax + insurans, fuel consumption, wear & tear parts, performance parts (this one u kenot missed), foreman skills n knowledge .. bla ... bla ... bla ...

Just my 1 sen ... happy 2.0l ... cheerss

Last edited:

komeng_9

Sep 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
but heard dat if u wan rev happily from ur b20, change piston n con rod..izzit tru? Change dat thing n can rev till 9k? N reliable? diz my 3rd time setup a b20..if still kaput, juz play b16..hassle free..:biggrin: n its my knowledge not gud enuf with b series..the more i know about the engine, the more it show my lack of knowledge in automotive..:hmmmm: luckily all sifu here want to help newbie like me..:adore:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i want to add a breather filter to my oil catch tank..but i find the filter is too big..out of proportion........been looking something small stuff to replace the filter like a pressure air valve or a small breather filter lah........
any ideas guys???

im sure u all will ask why..??

hehehe found a new and correct and best way to install oil catch tank to your engine...
hehehhehehe......whoever help me!!

thnx
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience