ATF and Power Steering Fluid - how often should change?

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
ATF - every 20,000km
PS - every 40,000km to 60,000km should be ok

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
or yearly, whichever comes first. reason being the fluid will oxidize. -- for the ATF
ps fluid I don't know.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ATF - Every 20k km atf pan change, on 3rd change means at 60k km do a flush.
When doing atf pan change use back same atf brand and model, because still have atf in the gear system. Chang brand only if you do a flush.
Pennzoil Multi Vehicle ATF is a good buy.
Power steering fluid, I hardly change. Change only when I do repairs to my steering system.....

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thx Vr2! How to flush the atf?
For flush you will need to go to a mechanic who has an atf flushing machine.
They will hook up and clean the system before pumping in new atf while it drains the old ones.....

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
toyota ATF also another good choice...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi Panda, I did a DIY on how to do ATF flush for a Myvi. The process isn't too different for other Jap cars.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...e/385386-diy-flush-atf-and-change-filter.html

But it's a 2-man job so don't attempt this by yourself. Preferably 3 if you don't have experience doing this.

And not all Japanese cars use the same ATF. Some Toyota Type-IV, some Dexron III, some SPIII so don't mix them up. Type IV is Type IV, Dexron III is Dexron III. Unless it's a mutli-grade ATF don't mix them, the only exception is Dexron III and Dexron II. D3 is backward compatible with D2 but not the other way around but D2 these days is pretty rare.

Power steering is a closed system so oxidation is slower compared to the other oils and it's not exposed to heat (much). So safe would be 40k km or 60k km. But you'll need to change it sooner or later, don't wait till it has problems, it'll be more hassle than it's worth to fix it by the time it breaks down (the steering rack).

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys...just wana clarify somethg here...if we r involved in an accident...not our fault but the other party doesnt want to pay for the damages and dare us to make a report...minor collision ... can fix with few hundred bucks...so we went to make a report lor BUT tat asshole didnt report...is it true that we cant claim their insurance? heard this from the callman....well if this is the case...then fcuking unfair la to the innocent party ? pdrm can only issue a summon to them or blacklist...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience