ARSENAL FC, best club in england, the world and

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
Its gonna be difficult to land Gallas. First, his salary won't come cheap and we all know how tight Arsenal's finance are.

Another 1 more week before the transfer window closes. Hopefully they'll get a good defender.

Game at 3am tomorrow morning. I think i'm gonna stay up to watch this game. Been deprived of Arsenal games about 3 months. Personally, i think Arsenal have it in the bag and its unlikely they'll go all out to attack Zagreb. Its gonna be a dull game, so i'm not expecting too much. But i still need to watch some Arsenal games.

Watched 2nd half only, it was 0-1 down then, and I saw Adebayor fluffing a great chance by sending the ball to the moon. That's really poor from him.

VP had a quiet game too. But, we still manage to win 2-1, thanks to a rare header from Ljungberg and a goal from Flamini. Walcott came on and made another impact on Arsenal's game by supplying the cross for Flamini to score.

Henry and Gilberto only came on during the 2nd half.

Predicted it was gonna be a dull game, indeed it was a dull and boring game. Now i'm feeling the effects of watching a game at 3am. Should not have done it if i knew it was gonna be this bad.

In all honesty, Arsenal didn't deserve to win the game with all those misplaced passes and lousy build up. In fact, Henry still doesn't look like what he was last season. No real impact made after he came on. Arsenal needed an unlikely hero in Mattheu Flamini to do the job late in 2nd half. But i almost forgotten that Flamini was playing as he was nowhere in the game thruout the whole 90 minutes. Again, it was a moment of brilliance by the young Walcott that provided the cross. Its the second match in running that Walcott made a brilliant cross.

At least we won in our new stadium. Maybe the pitch is too big and the Arsenal players have not gotten used to it yet. The only consolation from this game is that, no matter how bad we play, we're still able to grind out results. Thats a mark of a great team! Haha, a loser's comment.

PS: Surprise to see Chelsea losing. Thruout the Arsenal game, i only flipped over 2 times to channel 82 to see the Chelsea game results, and both times i saw the Pogatetz and Viduka goal. I must say i'm surprised by Chelsea's suicidal defending at times. Maybe they're still missing Makelele's influence.

munpeng said:
Watched 2nd half only, it was 0-1 down then, and I saw Adebayor fluffing a great chance by sending the ball to the moon. That's really poor from him.

VP had a quiet game too. But, we still manage to win 2-1, thanks to a rare header from Ljungberg and a goal from Flamini. Walcott came on and made another impact on Arsenal's game by supplying the cross for Flamini to score.

Henry and Gilberto only came on during the 2nd half.

On Adebayor, he looks so much like Kanu. BUT...Kanu would never have missed that kinda chance. He was virtually one on one with the keeper, the defender isn't really closing down on him and he just aim the ball towards the ball picker boy at the back of the net. Worst still as right before he took the kick, the keeper had already committed by going down first. Still Adebayor managed to miss. I'm surprised! Should Wenger field him in the next game? Definitely no for me.

Congratulations on making it through again. Perhaps we'll meet in the latter stages of the tournament.

Wenger has signed some excellent talent since he began his tenure. I rate him and Sam Allardyce when it comes to making smart signings. I do feel however that you may be a little lightweight upfront this season and it remains to be seen if Wenger will look into improving this department. Adebayour doesn't look ready start every game and that effectively leaves Henry pretty isolated. The departure of Reyes was a blow but the biggest void to fill will undoubtly be Bergkamps. Henry is now captain and perhaps that will help him raise his game even further but you are still missing a natural front man. Henry and RVP are effectively converted wingers (Henry played on the left flank for France when they last won the World Cup - Wenger then masterfully converted him into a striker). I do understand that the way you play, many goals come from midfield - a department you have strenghtened with the arrival of Rosicky. I just think that with the departure of Bergkamp and Reyes, you may leave a void behind Henry. Perhaps Rosicky or Fabregas can fill that void, I don't know.

Given recent events I this it would be appropriate for me to say this is not a dig but rather an observation. What do you Gunners reckon?

Last edited:
To be really honest, Arsenal lacks in every department now. We, Gunners fans know it all to well. However, it amazes me each time Wenger seem to be able to pull out one kid from the youth to fill the void to succession.

Honestly, our defence needs to be strengthen at all cost. You saw the soft goals we conceded against Villa and of coz Zagreb and there's even potential to concede more had Zagreb's finishing been better. Gallas arrival would solve that problem for sure.

Yes, Bergkamps and Pires will be sorely missed. Nobody could replace the technical play and vision of Bergkamp. His 40 yards crosses and passes would never be replicated at the moment by any other Arsenal players. He did not score that many goals last season but his contribution from deep is what helps alot. On Pires, its his ability to conjure 10 goals per season that makes him a relatively important player. With Reyes(highest assist last season) potentially shifting back to Spain, it remains to be seen if the midfield can live up to expectation and support Henry. Ljungberg is somehow playing alot better than last. Hleb needs to work on his passing and strength. Fabregas is the crown of the midfield. He needs to play more consistently but at the moment, i see that he's holding the ball better and have good ball distribution. He has to start to play like Lampard does to Chelsea or Gerrard does to Liverpool.

As for attacking, Henry will definitely recapture his form....soon. I'd favour Van Persie over Adebayor anytime. He's a skillful young fella. However, in setpiece and corners, Adebayor comes in real handy. His height and aerial ability helps as he nearly scored like twice in the Villa game.

Arsenal are just rusty. I wouldn't be too worried if I was a gooner.

Fluency will come along as the season goes on. There has been some changes and new players and it takes time to gel. I'm sure Wenger will get them playing again.

With regards of a target man, I don't think that is what Arsenal needs. Now they've got an array of pacy and technical players who can really hurt teams in full flow. Henry, van Persie, Hleb, Rosicky, Ljunberg, Reyes (will he be going?) and Fabregas (Adebayor is a limited player). That's a lot of attacking talent. Once they gel and get their game going, it'll be business as usual.

The weakness that I can see is still the same as last season. Steel in midfield and depth in defense, both missing. Up against opposition tactics that are in your face and physical, Arsenal will again struggle.

Last edited:
si|verfish said:
The weakness that I can see is still the same as last season. Steel in midfield and depth in defense, both missing. Up against opposition tactics that are in your face and physical, Arsenal will again struggle.

That's the biggest worry already. A center-back has yet to join while Senderos is out. A right back has to play as left back, and an untested young center back in Djourou has to start. Which means we WILL be seeing Cygan on the bench quite often. Haha.

And, as prodigy was speaking about lightweights, Gilberto is definitely no heavyweight too. Fabregas? He's strong enough to only trouble Graham Poll. And he didn't win the ball fairly from Poll, but actually stamped on his foot. Ahaha.

Nolar, I am still hopeful. Passing the ball into the opponent's goal is Arsenal's greatest weapon. Pass, pass, pass....

Martin Tyler: "The ball rolled into the net by Henry!... I can't believe."

Andy Gray: "Van Der Sar looked absolutely stunned... Hohoho"

Hehehe, just kidding lar.:_:

LOL...right...

Get a chair. Sit on it. And just wait for that to happen.

Caution...you might have to wait quite a bit and add some imagination.

I can see your point by Arsenal not needing a targetman as they are really quick on the counter. I remember watching an episode of football focus or something and they timed how long it took Arsenal to get the ball from one end of the pitch to the other and scoring a goal. At the time it took you lot an average of 12 seconds or so... that's quick man:shocked:

I just think that having a target man, though not urgent will give the team a different dimension should the need arise. Target men are not just offensive weapons but can help relieve pressure off the defence. I do agree though that you may need to add another defender to your squad, hopefully it's going to be Gallas eh? Wenger is known to make stars out of unknowns which makes it difficult to predict how the season will pan out. Adebayor is still an unknown quantity and so are the likes of Djourou and Hoyte. Interesting to see what kind of players they turn out to be.

arsenal fielded a young inexperience team yet again. and wanna know why? to gain match fitness and experience.. i wouldn't worry to much about this game though.

but really worries me is the depth in defense. come on la.. if one more CB injured, we got who? deng!

Quite obvious that Arsenal had a big lead. 3-0 with away goal advantage. There's no real reason to field their strongest lineup. Furthermore, players like Henry and Gilberto were involve in some international friendly match.

We got Porto, CSKA Moscow, and Hamburg. Should be quite tough, especially in Moscow. Hate those places, but glad that at least we could win in Zagreb. Those places are hard to get used to.

Hamburg are strong. Can't wait to see how Van Der Vaart performs.

Porto could be weaker than last season, since they have lost McCarthney (McCarthey?) and Diego (fantastic young talent). But, they could be ready to surprise you with another new badge of talents.

munpeng said:
We got Porto, CSKA Moscow, and Hamburg. Should be quite tough, especially in Moscow. Hate those places, but glad that at least we could win in Zagreb. Those places are hard to get used to.

Yeah playing in sub zero temperatures is not only hard on the players but it makes it bloody hard for us TV viewers to see as well! All you see if a bloody red ball flying flying about.

Is it only 12 million or is it 12 million ++? with all the optional extras included, like success related and installments and so on?

I think its 7 million ++. The value could potentially increase to 12 million depending on success. At this point, i believe Arsenal could well be on the way to paying Southampton 12 million.

Well i don't wanna be too optimistic with Walcott. Remember Reyes started off with a bang. Scored some impressive goals, especially against Chelsea and then his career took a nosedive the following 2 seasons. Now he wants to go back to Spain. Can't blame him but i just feel we can't judge Walcott just yet.

Well it is always iffy with young talented players. You never really know how they'll turn out. All you can hope for is that you surround them with all the right people and hope he remains grounded and happy where he is.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom