Alza opinion

Nur Zul

May 19, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi..
Planning to get Alza. Any comment form the existing owner. Is it worth it? Other option in the same class?

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
buying a car is always is a million dollar question ....
but here is few guideline you can use while thinking which new car to buy...
1.Price, buy cars you can afford and can maintain it
2.Find the exact car you want. Not the car you think you want
3.Compare similar models for safety, performance, fuel economy and so on..
4.Test drive all of them.. not just running around the showroom area, but longer distance. check out the acceleration, cabin condition, surrounding movement and driving comfortability
5. Don't buy at your first sight. You can get surprise discount if you shop around.. you wont know how hard those sales person willing to go low down just to please you...

speaking of alza.. its pretty much a class by itself..if u do need any technical reference just ask...

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I'm wondering about this car as well cuz initially I was interested to get one for my family as this is the cheapest MPV and it seems quite decent BUT I heard that it has a lot of quality problems! Like uneven/bad paint quality, uneven antirust treatment, hot rear seats due to exhaust muffler, noisy aircon, poor sound insulation & very noisy roof when raining, noisy/very dusty brakes, etc.
So can anyone confirm these problems if they are true and if they have been rectified by Perodua or are still persisting?
Really appreciate any input, thanks.

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
I'm wondering about this car as well cuz initially I was interested to get one for my family as this is the cheapest MPV and it seems quite decent BUT I heard that it has a lot of quality problems! Like uneven/bad paint quality, uneven antirust treatment, hot rear seats due to exhaust muffler, noisy aircon, poor sound insulation & very noisy roof when raining, noisy/very dusty brakes, etc.
So can anyone confirm these problems if they are true and if they have been rectified by Perodua or are still persisting?
Really appreciate any input, thanks.
dusty brakes is normal for every car, the most u can do is change to anti-dust pad, noisy roof is common for any car, u can sound proof it at accesories shop, some shop they provide this service..usually local car has this problem, hot rear seat is common on perodua, but..for this amount of money, its consider reasonable.., we have to remember, wat u pay is wat u get.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
the alza is rated as top selling MPV in malaysia(for now) and a few of my frens have just bought it. FC is good(full tank of RM 75 ron 95 can bring u about 650++km), power is ok(120kmh at about 3.5k rpm and max is about 6500? not so sure...everytime car pool i'll be sleeping at the back but i've been told max speed is about 160-170kmh...

ride comfort is much better than innova and definitely avanza. quite spacey but aircon may be a problem since no aircon ducts at the rear.the blower is strong enough to blow all the way to the 3rd row if sacrifice one of the middle ducts n blow behind.

NVH is average. on par with avanza and myvi or even the pesona. maybe its the standard tyres supplied cos a lot of the noise seems to come from the tyres. engine can get drony at hi speeds but no need to tune radio loudness up. speaking of tyres, suspect the tyres that come standard cause some vibration esp at speeds above 120kmh. i think they come with silverstones since some tyre guys say the standard tyres more suited for town driving n not hi speed.

paint quality is quite ok...not on par with merc quality of course.plastic fittings inside quite bad tho. a lot of gaps that u can fit your finger nail thru but so far in the 3 alzas i've ridden in, no rattling or such. speaking of rattling...the rear drum brakes do judder n send vibrations thruout the car...like somebody putting a piece of metal onto the rims but after 1st service, rectified. front brakes also seem to judder slightly when doing long braking(maybe ABS?) but doesnt feel like ABS needed to be engaged at such braking levels. dont dare ask owners to test since they still treat their alzas like princess. doors when slam shut do sound like the going to drop off...maybe cos of their size but expected from something so affordable.

still...best if you go test drive it yourself. dont drive it around the lot n decide. ask them to let you drive on normal and a little hiway. then go sit in the 3rd row n ask the salesman to drive u back to showroom...a lot of ppl who bought the avanza didnt test out ride conditions in the 3rd row n now rarely use since it is soooooo bumpy.

+points
price
FC
can fit 7ppl quite confrotably
bench type seats in front(need i say good for the missus to hug hug?)
projector type lights and even without HID has very good light throw

not as smooth as a sedan
no middle aircon duct
if u push the middle seats too far forward, getting in is a hassle cos the gap between B pillar n front of mid seats very near
dodgy brakes(it stops...just very vibratingly :) )

hope this helps. when test driving, try out the brakes for yourself.

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
hmm.. i quite like it although it doesn't look like a ferrari or lamboghini, very affordable and comfortable, interior design not bad.., very japanese look., power not too bad if wif 4 passengers, brake not so sure, good headroom..good for 6 footer.
Maybe will get 1 sooner, recommend EZI model which means the 1 with full safety features, safety comes 1st..overall a decent mini mpv

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I've test driven one before but only for a short distance. Initial impression is not bad, but brakes seem too soft and test drive units might have been fixed up to hide quality issues.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
the 1st batched might have issues. dont worry. i guess all the problems have been solved by perodua R&D dept. overall good car......
even my wife told me to sell my perdana & get alza or exora :bawling:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
the 1st batched might have issues. dont worry. i guess all the problems have been solved by perodua R&D dept. overall good car......
even my wife told me to sell my perdana & get alza or exora :bawling:
I read that even units up to Nov/Dec 2010 were still having those quality issues. Not sure about 2011 batch, but now I'm loosing interest with Alza and more interested to buy the Livina instead which should be a much safer option.

mick87

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2009
I read that even units up to Nov/Dec 2010 were still having those quality issues. Not sure about 2011 batch, but now I'm loosing interest with Alza and more interested to buy the Livina instead which should be a much safer option.
livina has rear aircond too..and its way more powerful and better handling..the 1.6 model shud be another 25-30k on top of the alza.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
livina has rear aircond too..and its way more powerful and better handling..the 1.6 model shud be another 25-30k on top of the alza.
Hmm not that much, cuz the price list for the 1.6AT is around 88K and they have some discounts now for a few thousand, so maybe can get one for under 85k which is around 15-20k more than Alza Premium/Advance AT.
The engine is more powerful/torquey but the car is also almost 100kg heavier than Alza.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I have an Alza in the family and have tested it going to Penang and back. This is what I wanna say :

1. Don't get the super expensive apa-pun-ada model. The reasonably kitted spec RM70k version is quite sufficient. ABS, airbags and all.

2. The bloody irritating b-pillar thing takes getting used to. But isn't really a big problem for people with small feet.

3. The central aircon duct needs to be facing the roof for the center and rear people to have any aircon. But if positioned facing upwards, the far back will complain about being too cold so yes - the P2 claims of aircon efficiency and air flow is true.

4. The claims about the Alza driving like a car is rubbish. It feels like an MPV, drives like one too. And it's a 1.5, so if you carry 6 average sized adults, it'll struggle in terms of performance and bag space (what space? :P)

5. Wind noise is actually good minimal and NVH is quite good for a car this price range. In fact I'm tempted to ICE this Alza because of it's quiet cabin. Only thing is I'd change the stock Sime tyres cuz they're bloody noisy and useless.

6. Rain handling is quite decent considering the weight of the Alza and very slanted front windscreen. Roof noise is apparent but not annoying. Generally it feels quite safe in the Alza but I wouldn't test the ABS brakes with a fully loaded Alza. It's heavier than the Avanza (even though same chassis) and those skinny tyres won't do miracles.

7. High speed running (anything more than 130km/h is considered fast for me) will introduce wind noise after about 140km/h. With 6 passangers very hard to reach 160km/h. Auto GB is quite smooth though, no jerkiness and overall comfy.

8. FC is about 11km/h which is not bad for a car this size. Highway I got 12km/h fully loaded.

9. I think it's called ISOFIX but it has great locking thingies for baby car seats. Only a family man would buy an Alza so this is a point to consider yes?

For this kinda price, it's impossible to get this kinda space. So if you're in the market for a cheap and spacy car, this is probably a good buy. In fact nothing in the price range will come close other than the Proton Exora and personally I hate that car. Have it in the family too and apart from it's endless headroom I like nothing else about the Exora.

Conclusion :
Would I buy an Alza? Nah. I prefer Sedans with a gigantic boot.
Would I recommend it? Only if you can't afford anything more than 80k. If you can, get a Livina / Wish 2.0 / Caldina / Estima

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My Mitsu Galant V6 viento's door seals are rotting away, and that allows rainwater to enter the cabin. Its kinda hard to find replacement seals as the car is pretty rare, and the perdana's ones dont fit. Can any one with experience guide me on how to fix this? Perhaps some universal door seals which i can use?

Rotten door seals :

Car model (not actual car) ...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience