Air Filter Advise

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear Sifus,

From my previous thread asking about stainless steel mesh air filter, I have decided to stick back to cotton/paper from the advices given. About how our engines won't last because of our conditions here. Dust, etc...

For the short story, has anyone any experience on cap ayam open pod? Those RM50 ones. How is the airflow, power gain, filtration quality and can re-use how many times?

For the long story,
So I am now considering where to use back the ori paper or mod in an open pod. Cost is an important factor for me so I have work out the calculations for 2 years, sicne I plan to swap the engine in 2/3 years:

OEM Paper
RM22 per filter,
Total of 8 filters, RM176 in 2 years

OEM paper with blow and resuse
RM22 per filter
Total of 4 filters, RM 88 in 2 years

Open pod branded (Simota)
Cost of filter, silicone, pipe and maybe CAI, RM300

Open pod cap ayam
Cost of filter, silicone, pipe and maybe CAI, RM200

Based on this, I am interested in the open pod cap ayam. But am concerned on the effectiveness. Has anyone any experience on cap ayam open pod? Those RM50 ones. How is the airflow, power gain, filtration quality and can re-use how many times?

Thank you.

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
If have budget, go for branded air filter.
However, my old junk is running with cap ayam taiwan brand air filter ... due to budget concern.
Interm of performanance, no significant different on my 4G92 engine.

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
go for knn, no regret , better filtration, can be cleaned too but not spray use pressure gas, use the cleaning spray of knn

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
i would recommend apexi power intake
dual funnel :biggrin:
plan to use also, since quoted by sifu X ..... but since i think i cant get my size, so i use knn:biggrin: y dun u tuned up ur e3 engine since the sifu so near u? i need to pay a lot to ask sifu X and joshua come here to tune my lt10 later:banghead:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
All those you all mentioned, KNN, Apexi Dual Funnel... Even HKS super suction kit, Simota of course good la... But budget constraint la...

I do not want to spend so much on my "uncle" engine yet. Even spend a lot also not too much performance gain. Until I ditch it 2/3 years later, then I'll use some good ones ^^.

I actually took out my stock filter just now to check. Because I have been blowing it for about 3 services i think? That's why this time after service my car, the difference in response and power is not as big.

So I took out and try to observe... See whether any way to wash or not:biggrin:. Then I tried and wet a small corner of the filter.... When I observe the material, I said alamak:hmmmm:! Better don't do this la... Haha... The materials of the stock filter can't be washed and It's best to not blow clean it more than 2 times.

Meanwhile, I tried to drive around just now without the filter. Just in my taman. I guess its okay since its at night, little cars and just after rain. Air should be quite clean.... And the cold after rain air was so tempting... What else?:driver:. Can see the rpm response very good, but no obvious effect on the road as all that power is lost through the torque converter :bawling:. Auto...:banghead:

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
plan to use also, since quoted by sifu X ..... but since i think i cant get my size, so i use knn:biggrin: y dun u tuned up ur e3 engine since the sifu so near u? i need to pay a lot to ask sifu X and joshua come here to tune my lt10 later:banghead:
ehehhe soon bro reall sooon :biggrin:
yeah im dam lucky live super near with sifu x
btw thta is a killer nickname wait till he sees it :top:
lol

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
Dear Sifus,

From my previous thread asking about stainless steel mesh air filter, I have decided to stick back to cotton/paper from the advices given. About how our engines won't last because of our conditions here. Dust, etc...

For the short story, has anyone any experience on cap ayam open pod? Those RM50 ones. How is the airflow, power gain, filtration quality and can re-use how many times?

For the long story,
So I am now considering where to use back the ori paper or mod in an open pod. Cost is an important factor for me so I have work out the calculations for 2 years, sicne I plan to swap the engine in 2/3 years:

OEM Paper
RM22 per filter,
Total of 8 filters, RM176 in 2 years

OEM paper with blow and resuse
RM22 per filter
Total of 4 filters, RM 88 in 2 years

Open pod branded (Simota)
Cost of filter, silicone, pipe and maybe CAI, RM300

Open pod cap ayam
Cost of filter, silicone, pipe and maybe CAI, RM200

Based on this, I am interested in the open pod cap ayam. But am concerned on the effectiveness. Has anyone any experience on cap ayam open pod? Those RM50 ones. How is the airflow, power gain, filtration quality and can re-use how many times?

Thank you.
stainless steel mesh filter no good?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
i prefer a good filter dats able to do just dat, and provide unparalled airflow through it.. apexi and knn are two of the best in the market, i prefer the twin intake apexi filter, i cant keep oiling my filters forever, lol