Affordable suspension around 1k

Ashyie_Ferio

Known Member
Oct 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hello. Its been a while since I've been on here.
Im looking for some suggestions on upgrading my stock suspension system.
I drive a honda eg8 with stock absorbers and springs. I believe that its time for a change as the ride is uncomfortable and the body roll is worrying.
I have installed a front 4 point strut bar and also a rear anti roll bar.
I was thinking of a setup of honda absorbers with aftermarket springs.
My goal is to decrease body roll but not sacrifice too much on comfort when going over bumpy roads.

Is there any other setup that can be used to my purpose? Any recommendations on perhaps adjustables or spring brands? My budget is around 1k. Any help is much appreciated.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Eibach springs with stock absorbers. But that combo probably will reduce the lifespan of your absorbers.

For 1K I don't think you can have the best of both worlds. If you can jack up your budget Bilsteins + Eibach.

Or just go straight for hi/lo/soft/hard.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Eibach springs with stock absorbers. But that combo probably will reduce the lifespan of your absorbers.

For 1K I don't think you can have the best of both worlds. If you can jack up your budget Bilsteins + Eibach.

What about just Sports Abs and Springs? At least not as uncomfortable as Adjustables?

Koni + Elbach I heard is a good combo too :biggrin:

Ashyie_Ferio

Known Member
Oct 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
[/COLOR]

How much of an increase qould be enough for this setup? 1.5k enough?

What about just Sports Abs and Springs? At least not as uncomfortable as Adjustables?

Koni + Elbach I heard is a good combo too :biggrin:
Whats the price range on that setup?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
[/COLOR]

How much of an increase qould be enough for this setup? 1.5k enough?

Whats the price range on that setup?
Way beyond your budget bro. Even the Elbach springs alone would be close to ur budget IINM.
Also adjustables u won't be expecting comfort ride for sure. So far only been on my friend's saga flx with HWL Adjustables. To me the comfort rate is acceptable. But it seems only for the front passenger and driver won't feel much but those sitting behind will be very uncomfortable.

But then comfort level of each individual is very subjective. Izso explanation should be good enough to give u a rough idea on it since he has experience using adjustables. :biggrin:

Ashyie_Ferio

Known Member
Oct 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Way beyond your budget bro. Even the Elbach springs alone would be close to ur budget IINM.
Also adjustables u won't be expecting comfort ride for sure. So far only been on my friend's saga flx with HWL Adjustables. To me the comfort rate is acceptable. But it seems only for the front passenger and driver won't feel much but those sitting behind will be very uncomfortable.

But then comfort level of each individual is very subjective. Izso explanation should be good enough to give u a rough idea on it since he has experience using adjustables. :biggrin:
Thanks for the input.. I really dont have much to spend since money is tight. Someone suggested i inject my old absorbers and just buy sport springs. Any drawbacks to this?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Thanks for the input.. I really dont have much to spend since money is tight. Someone suggested i inject my old absorbers and just buy sport springs. Any drawbacks to this?
Like Izso mentioned earlier. Using sports springs but stock absorbers might shortened the lifespan of your stock absorbers but is also vice versa if using sports absorbers with stock springs.

Unless is just for temporary and u plan to change something better in near future should be fine.
I tried before using sports absorbers + stock springs as a combo. Just because I told them I want to maintain the comfort so they ask me not to change the springs.

Anyway it was Sports GAB Absorbers that cost me RM900+ as promotion. Only lasted me about 1 1/2 years and I felt the GAB Absorbers is softer after that. Back to square one. But they said is the normal lifespan of absorbers around there it seems.

Handling wise, only improve not much. But can feel the difference. Cornering was better when it was new. After that, back to square one. Maybe u can save up a bit more for better ones?

I not sure about hi/low/soft/hard adjustables. Maybe that one u can ask Izso to elaborate more. T
To have great handling, u sacrifice comfort. To have comfort, u sacrifice the handling. :biggrin:

Ashyie_Ferio

Known Member
Oct 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Like Izso mentioned earlier. Using sports springs but stock absorbers might shortened the lifespan of your stock absorbers but is also vice versa if using sports absorbers with stock springs.

Unless is just for temporary and u plan to change something better in near future should be fine.
I tried before using sports absorbers + stock springs as a combo. Just because I told them I want to maintain the comfort so they ask me not to change the springs.

Anyway it was Sports GAB Absorbers that cost me RM900+ as promotion. Only lasted me about 1 1/2 years and I felt the GAB Absorbers is softer after that. Back to square one. But they said is the normal lifespan of absorbers around there it seems.

Handling wise, only improve not much. But can feel the difference. Cornering was better when it was new. After that, back to square one. Maybe u can save up a bit more for better ones?

I not sure about hi/low/soft/hard adjustables. Maybe that one u can ask Izso to elaborate more. T
To have great handling, u sacrifice comfort. To have comfort, u sacrifice the handling. :biggrin:
Okay.. Thanks for the input bro. I'll wait for iszo to reply regarding adjustables.. :adore:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Bro, if you want comfort and handling, stick with stock suspension. Buy new absorbers (stock) and if springs are worn, replace those too (Ferio kinda old. Might need changing).

After you do that, upgrade front and rear antiroll bars to the biggest and fattest ones you can find. That'll reduce body roll a LOT already. You don't need to mess with suspension too much so you won't lose too much comfort (ARBs will reduce comfort to some extent).

In my old Wira, front 23mm ARB, rear 19mm ARM and with stock suspension it was surprisingly good in corners. I would know cuz the ARB was one of the last things I removed when I was selling my car so I got to test the differences as I removed the parts. You'll still have some body roll, you can't avoid that if you don't want to sacrifice comfort, but it will be significantly reduced with the thick ARBs. Ori ARB for Wira is front 21mm and rear 16mm.

That'll be within your budget.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

The minute you put in adjustables, even with Hi/lo/soft/hard with soft springs, you'll lose comfort whether you set the dampers to the softest settings or not.

My old hi/lo/soft/hard had 6k front and 4k rear springs which is considered reasonably soft and this is usually the normal combi for adjustables and their springs. If you want to change to something softer you probably can depending on your relationship with the shop that's selling it to you.

Initially I played around with the damper settings a lot to get the perfect amount of comfort. First test was to set to 22 clicks (max 30) front and 18 (max 30) rear. Bumped like hell on any road surface mainly because the rebound is considered fast at that setting. Then reduced to 10 front and 7 rear, the thing became wishy washy and I still could feel every bump on the road. I was told later my particular suspension had progressive damping so only after 10 clicks would it get better. Then finally I tried 13 front 11 rear and it was somewhat perfect. Bumpiness still there but it wasn't bone jarring or back breaking. And it wasn't wishy washy magic carpet ride-ish. Quite good. Considering the stock Wira suspension is bumpy to begin with, this was slightly firmer than stock only.

But hi/lo/soft/hard usually costs 1800 and above, mine I sold kinda cheap so maybe you might get lucky and buy used ones that are in good condition within your budget.

You can forget about hi/lo if you want comfort. Been there done that and even with 5k front springs and 3.5k rear, it was still bone jarring for me.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

One last thing - comfort is very relative. Your tolerance and my tolerance for bumpiness is probably different, so if you can, test drive cars which already have been modified then only decide which ones you want. Otherwise your best bet is the ARB + stock suspension upgrade.

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
There are no such thing as comfortable adjustable for low budget user. That is what most adjustable cannot do, only giving you handling and sacrificing major of your comfort.

You want the best of both world, then prepare your fund and go get hi-lo soft-hard with monotube shocks which generally agreed among adjustable enthutiast most monotube provide better comfortability. Mind at least 3k budget.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
There are no such thing as comfortable adjustable for low budget user. That is what most adjustable cannot do, only giving you handling and sacrificing major of your comfort.

You want the best of both world, then prepare your fund and go get hi-lo soft-hard with monotube shocks which generally agreed among adjustable enthutiast most monotube provide better comfortability. Mind at least 3k budget.
Actually till date I don't really get the difference between Hi/lo/soft/hard and fully adjustables. I mean Fully adjustables can be adjust to what Hi/lo abs can do?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Actually till date I don't really get the difference between Hi/lo/soft/hard and fully adjustables. I mean Fully adjustables can be adjust to what Hi/lo abs can do?
hi-lo can only adjust ride height via adjusting the spring seat.....

but hi-lo-soft-hard can adjust height via spring seat+body and bracket shifting+damping hardness adjustment...

Ashyie_Ferio

Known Member
Oct 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Thank you all for the input. Given my current situation where i have not yet felt new springs and absorbers, i might just stick to stock until the time comes when i have more money to work with. Perhaps new stock suspension with the existing :biggrin:arb will be close to what I'm looking for. Fingers crossed. If not, i could always change to sport springs. Hehe

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Warning: Rasta Car Wash At Taman Tun Dr Ismail.

My advice kepada semua,

Today 28/3/16 saya hantar cuci kereta saya di rasta ttdi. Mereka basuh kereta menggunakan soap powder dan some red chemical untuk basuh body kereta and those banglas are too lazy. Rim lansung tak bersih dan masa mereka vacuum carpet pun mereka tak keluarkan.

So sesiapa yang sayang kereta jangan hantar kat rasta TTDI. Kalau sesiapa yang tak percaya cakap saya you boleh cuba sendiri hantar kat rasta ttdi.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience