AE111 can crank but engine start

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
Starter can crank but engine won't start

My manual corolla seg stock engine keep giving me this problem. Today is the third time. I am really hopeless now.

First time (2 weeks ago) it happened, just call mechanic, he just open and close the fuel outlet near firewall, then it was ok.

I suspect it could be due to alarm issue, then go and install a new alarm. On that night, the same problem happened again. The installer just use additional wire to connect the fuel wire to a connector to bypass, then it was ok.

This morning, the same issue happens again. After dinner, come back try luck to start, it was ok.

Below is the history
1. the car overheated 1~2 years ago.
2. change radiator
3. earlier engine die off while driving on the road, change distributor, its wiring, spark plugs and plug cables.
4. fuel pump changed
5. recently change engine gasket, timing belt, water pump etc...

What could be the reason? Please help.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
how about distributor? have you check it?

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
how about distributor? have you check it?
Unlikely as the new distributor has been replaced.

---------- Post added at 12:20 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

Sounds like ECU starts to give way.
But its better to run diagnostic to scan for any fault code.
I have a good ecu and did test on it but still doesn't help.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

Today cannot start again.

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

It looks like there's a fuel cut due to some unknown reason.

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
1. Check Sparks & fuel first (clogged fuel filter?).
2. Then engine sensors (CPS?).
3. Cylinders Compression (less likely, should start but runs crappy).
4. ECU (Less likely).
5. Get engine error code.

Good luck.

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
1. Check Sparks & fuel first (clogged fuel filter?).
2. Then engine sensors (CPS?).
3. Cylinders Compression (less likely, should start but runs crappy).
4. ECU (Less likely).
5. Get engine error code.

Good luck.
1. Fuel filter unlikely as it was not performance issue, but the engine cannot start at all.
2. CPS? Not sure, I ask mechanic to check but he say no crank sensor for this model.

Last edited:

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
1. Fuel filter unlikely as it was not performance issue, but the engine cannot start at all.
2. CPS? Not sure, I ask mechanic to check but he say no crank sensor for this model.
Since you have mentioned engine turn over but will not start. Even witha good fuel pump & clogged fuel filter. Engine still not getting fuel. I just changed fuel pump on my ML55 and many others change their filter at the same time since sometimes it got clogged. Just a thought.

My car will crank but will not start and commonly on ML, it is CPS and changed that, still no start. Checked fuel pressure and it was "weak". Traced it back to fuel pump and bingo. Replaced the fuel pump and now running as normal.

Check fuel and spark first, unless engine check light is on, then get the code first just like the rest has mentioned.

Good luck and keep us update.

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
My mechanic pull extra wiring from fuel pump to fuse box and few days gone the issue seems resolved.
He suspected it was due to the previous cobra alarm which caused the fuel to cut off. The previous tenon alarm installer didn't uninstall my problematic cobra alarm before installing.

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
My mechanic pull extra wiring from fuel pump to fuse box and few days gone the issue seems resolved.
He suspected it was due to the previous cobra alarm which caused the fuel to cut off. The previous tenon alarm installer didn't uninstall my problematic cobra alarm before installing.
Great to know that. So the alarm disabled the fuel pump, no fuel to engine, so no start. It is always good to have a problem solved.

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
The same issue come back again after 2 months of driving. It come randomly, and when it comes, after left it over night, it is ok again. I really wonder what is wrong.

ahaw

Known Member
Apr 1, 2007
wiring con. check, afraid some circuit shorted...

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Happend to me 2 days ago. Drived to office and stop to buy nasik lemak. Then engine can crank but cant start. After Trobleshoot everything, I found that fuel pump wire short.

It short at 'sambungan' BLUE wire after changed halfcut engine. The wire became hot and short to body at the sambungan place. Manage to solved this problem after solder the sambungan. No more heat.

uploadfromtaptalk1380168804607.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

guys... need help here. did anyone know where can I do the mivec rojak (mivec head + 4G9x blok and open the mivec using rsm or rpm meter). tq
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience