AE111 20V BT 6Speed Gearbox to be mounted on 4AFE engine

monsh

Known Member
Mar 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
yeap, RPM for 120 on gear 5 is around 4k RPM .
basically on 6k could go around 180 :)

6.3k probably around 190-195 .
if ur willing to push ur car up to that point la .

btw, yes im using original driveshaft :)

@D7Zul

The bolt is actually the flywheel, 4afe engine uses 6 bolts while 4age uses 8 bolts.
The clutch plate should be the same which is 8.5".

4afe and 4age gearbox is same .
just gear ratio is difference.
not sure bout 6 speed, by right should be able to use since using same mounting mechanism :)

but not so sure bout this part, and also the performance part .
maybe okay also bcos 6 speed is short ratio :)

AE101-Wong

4,000 RPM
Jul 26, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
Actually what's the purpose of doing it? Converting it from AT to MT?
If so, the common method is to get a 5spd box from Blacktop. Reason being 6spd box is not cheap (more expensive if 6spd LSD) and you'll need full set including gbox mounting, shifter cable and shifter itself. The clutch and brake pedals u can use local corolla MT or even 5spd ones. If i'm right, one of the driveshaft also needs to be replaced.
Next is the ECU, where it is possible to use your current AT ECU with some minor rewiring.
Last but not least, the 6spd ratio might not be suitable with lower revving 4AFE unless the engine is modded to some extent.
FYI, for a price of 6spd box you can get a BT engine lantai with some spare change.
Also, you'll need to go to JPJ to update your geran from AT to MT...maybe puspakom inspection required as well.
My suggestion is to get a decent 5spd box (C56) and if you want improved handling, get one with LSD.
Cheers
bro Prem...
the drive shaft can maintain..juz the mounting bracket have to change another 1 to mount on AE101 chassis without any mod..
ECU for 4AFE on AE101 or AE111 are the same for AT or MT, so ecu is not a big deal for that, but the wiring have to bypass some wire so that can start the engine..many foreman know how to do this too....
the most concern is the ratio...
i don think 6 speed on 4AFE easily handle..
self experience on C56 BT 5MT on 4AFE, too light to pick up, heavy foot abit can cause u tire burn out for 1st to 3rd gear..

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

yeap, RPM for 120 on gear 5 is around 4k RPM .
basically on 6k could go around 180 :)

6.3k probably around 190-195 .
if ur willing to push ur car up to that point la .

btw, yes im using original driveshaft :)

@D7Zul

The bolt is actually the flywheel, 4afe engine uses 6 bolts while 4age uses 8 bolts.
The clutch plate should be the same which is 8.5".

4afe and 4age gearbox is same .
just gear ratio is difference.

not sure bout 6 speed, by right should be able to use since using same mounting mechanism :)

but not so sure bout this part, and also the performance part .
maybe okay also bcos 6 speed is short ratio :)
should be saying same housing.....

---------- Post added at 02:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

C56 cruising RPM quite high for blacktop. BTW change gearbox is just like change paint colour, don't need to go puspakom, just go jpj fill some simple form only, if you don't update the grant also no problem.

Monsh, your driveshaft still same with stock 4afe?
bro...change color also have to go puspakom lerrr...
and also changing from auto to mt, have to make a hole on firewall, so means.....
u hitting "ubahsuai struktur badan" law..
better go for puspakom for inspection for no regrets...

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

can PnP ke?

i thought 4AFE & 4AGE gbox can't exchange..

something to do with the number of bolts..

i might be wrong :biggrin:
can exchange bro...
gear ratio different only...
also the flywheel, 4AFE and 4AGE different the number of nuts, clutch size same...

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
As per all reply above, u can mount 6 speed gearbox. Suitable or not, maybe you can learn to drive is wisely

4afe and 4age silvertop is using same gearbox which is C52
4age blacktop using C56.

both of these gearboxes PnP to 4afe engine.
the only difference is gear ratio.

C56 has longer gear ratio on 3rd and 4th.

1,2,5 same for C52/56.

I asked my mechanic find me the GB, he said C52, i dunno la he tipu or what, but so far quite nice ride :)

Gear speed at 6300RPM

1 - 40
2 - 85
3 - 120
4 - 155
5 - 180 <- RPM 5500 something like that .

not bad i guess :)
with proper ignition timing, well maintained system, exhaust 2" possibly reach 200 with this engine.

and to be honest, the pick up is not bad as well. easily reach 150 for normal high speed cruising :)
My previous 4afe with ori M/T (C52 I presume) also can go to 200km/h but take longer time than 4age

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
so, if i wanna use 4AGE gbox on 4AFE engine.. i need to use the 4AFE flywheel?

how bout 4AGE auto gbox on 4AFE engine?

Last edited:

lkeong88

Known Member
Nov 1, 2009
Cheras
From my experience, I changed my colour from silver to blue just update the form at JPJ without going to Puspakom. Take less than 20 minutes

A

An Unregistered User

yeap, for a healthy 4afe with good condition gearbox, 200 is possible :)
i cruised up to 180 but sked edi, too slow to reach 200 .

my engine oso old edi, so i dont really want to push up to that point .

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
(repost..)

how bout 4AGE automatic gbox on 4AFE engine? can be done?

AE101-Wong

4,000 RPM
Jul 26, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
(repost..)

how bout 4AGE automatic gbox on 4AFE engine? can be done?
cannot bro....4AFE have to put back local spec 4AFE, imported spec not ngam also

IketaniX

Known Member
Dec 8, 2008
JB
how to mod that bracket? appreciate if you can share some photo for the modified bracket.
from your pic yours is AE101 right...
dun think u need to mod bracket,
mine is 99" AE111 SEG chassis,
so have to mod/made to fit...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I converted my 4AFE AT to MT but I used back a 4AFE 5 speed MT gearbox. I agree with AE101-Wong. The ECU are all the same! My engine with auto ECU runs perfect after I swap to manual. But I know a person who swapped manual to auto. His car got a bit of problem. Engine all okay. But when tap down on the accelerator during cruising, the gearbox will not downshift like a normal auto would. i think it's more of a workmanship problem rather than a technical one.

IketaniX

Known Member
Dec 8, 2008
JB
if i din rmb wrong there's 1 cable connect from the auto gb to the throttle,
which trigger the downshift when u put ur foot down...
mayb the cable is missing during the conversion...
in auto's there's 1 extra bracket to hold the cable near the throttle...

intel2800

Oct 6, 2010
Sabah
I converted my 4AFE AT to MT but I used back a 4AFE 5 speed MT gearbox. I agree with AE101-Wong. The ECU are all the same! My engine with auto ECU runs perfect after I swap to manual. But I know a person who swapped manual to auto. His car got a bit of problem. Engine all okay. But when tap down on the accelerator during cruising, the gearbox will not downshift like a normal auto would. i think it's more of a workmanship problem rather than a technical one.
bro,

which model of the transmission did you use? as i know the 4AGE transmission C56 can be match with 4AFE...:hmmmm:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
bro,

which model of the transmission did you use? as i know the 4AGE transmission C56 can be match with 4AFE...:hmmmm:
I don't know the code. It's a normal 4AFE MT.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Photographers in China has spotted an Exora prototype running around in northern China. It might indicate that the proton-youngman partnership might also include this MPV in the future. This will mean that the production volumes of the Exora will be big to give the economies of scale, meaning more affordable cars for the consumer. It will add another destination for the export of the Exora, other than the Europe, Iran and the rumoured Mitsubushi rebadging of the Exora...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience