Advice on buying RX8

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear all rotary sifus...

I am asking on behalf of a friend. He does not have a zth account. He is considering to buy a used RX8 auto. Is there any things to look out for? Any problems associated with this car? Most impotant, any advice on maintenance, running costs?

Appreciate if you guys can share some experience...

Many thanks...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Veloc : I think RX8 or not, maintenance is generally the same.

1. Rotary cars are heat sensitive so cooling has to be maintained very well or upgraded.
2. Apex seal is the life of the Rotary engine, as long as that is maintained properly and changed when worn it's good.
3. Auto gearboxes generally cannot take too much bashing so if the engine is heavily modified, my suspicion on the gearbox lifespan is it's not going to last too long. If engine is stock, then check maintenance records to confirm that the correct type of fluid is used. Using the wrong fluid will kill the GB in the long run too regardless of what mechanics say "Ini bagus punyaaaa. Lagi smooth".
4. Most RX8 cars are weekend cars so they tend to be parked most of the time meaning the battery wouldn't be in too good condition. Worth checking how easily the car cranks when cold.

That's all I can think of. I'm sure there's more!

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Thank you bro Izso.That was helpful...

dream.tent

500 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
KL
www.cardomain.com
Hi Veloc,

For any RX8 in the dealer ship, it's best to check:
1. Compression Test. At least them all number at 7.x ish~8.x is better. Anything too low might indicate worn apex seal.
2. Check the power steering if it's jerking when you start the car. Specially when it is cold. Jerking or the steering turns by itself means the rack is gone. (a new rack cost up to RM5k)
3. Best to get the OBDII read out and see if any fault code in the system still
4. For 2003/2004 cars, O2 sensor mostly about to die or dead already. Can get a wideband O2 check at workshop to confirm as CEL might not come up yet.
5. Ignition Coils .... Common things to die on you at this age.
6. Have those plugs check and change too.
7. Rear absorber. Try uneven road that has sudden drop or normally coming down from a overhead bridge/ramp. If you felt the rear end bottoms in, the shocks likely are dead.
8. Fuel Pump. Not easy to check but it's another part tat would cause problem for 8's that has 50k km done or more... Symptoms: Can't rev above 5k~6kRPM (but can cause by faulty ignition coils too).. Choking or felt like fuel cut at high RPM..

Some other minor things but not critical...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Thank you Dream.Tent!!!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey im pretty new to these engine swaps so please dont go rattling off too much jargon off the bat...
at the moment i have a 1991 Toyota Celica SX 2.2L Auto, and i am wanting to get rid of the ST184-R stock engine. I was considering simply upgrading to the ST185-RT (from the AWD turbo celica), and then i also considered a Holden VN V6 motor. i dont want to spend a fortune for the engine, let alone too many conversion parts. if you have any advice at all id really appreciate it. thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience