Advice on buying Mazda RX-8

May 1, 2012
Gemas
Hello there..
i'm a newbie here..
just wondering that i can get some advices here..

i'm planning on buying a Mazda RX-8..
so, could any of you tell me things that i need to know about this car?
i know that this car runs on rotary engine..
need advices on maintenance and etc..

does it worth the money i'm spending on it..??
does the car performance is really suits it's prices..??

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
RX8 Club Malaysia

Do not buy if you budget is just ngam ngam pay the installment. Plenty people did that and proven that the ownership not gonna last long.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I second that advice. Don't buy.

K2 stanley

Known Member
Mar 24, 2009
Not don't buy just that if u buy Rx8 u must have the passion on the car n rotary.
Like me n my bro said she's our second wife, need attention, need care and just meet at the weekend.
Once u knew her well, u will hve great fun with her and how sexy she is.
Anyway this is just my personal view.

Jaymz

Oct 27, 2011
Johor bahru
1) Cost maintain this machine?
Idemistu Rotary oil cost 58-68 RM per bottle (1 Quart, 0.94L), you need 5 bottles each service, 4 for engine, 1 for top up.

Gear oil depends on brand, you need about 4-5 bottles.. about 150 RM max.. change every 20K KM..

2) How to maintain? Same like normal engine?
Warm up your car before driving.. if forced to drive cold engine.. keep rev below 2k..
Normal engine? no..

check engine oil at approximately every full tank of oil.. or everytime..
check radiator level..

all these before driving.. :3

3) How about labour charge? Workshop?

Different area charges different price.. where are you at?

4) How about spare parts?

Tons of spares and aftermarket ones.. price wise are the same as evos and subarus

Well.. it is expensive for non-car lovers.. its like any other car.. just a bit more delicate.. its got a higher temp engine bay compare to others.. with all the right mod = no problem.. which this is what everyone dont understand why we need to mod to get the issue solved.. and we often question ..isit because there is a flaw in design? Well not all cars are perfect..and thats why there are aftermarket products that brings the stock model to another level..

PPle always question..Why spend so much on mod.. why not just buy a ferrari or lambo.. then no need to mod jor.. ans: Not everyone can afford ma.. and bullshit if they dont mod.. surely will buy rims.. surely will buy turbokit for ferraris.. surely will buy bigger BBK.. same shit la.. confirm will mod this and that..

So what attract you most on a RX8? Looks? mobility?

RX8 is underpowered as the base model do not come with turbo.. but a tuned NA 13B rx8 street car can do 2:37 on SIC.. and 1:50s on Pasir Gudang.. so it proves its drivability :3

Advantage
1) Looks good..exterior and especially the interior..
2) Well balanced car..

Disadvantage
1) Not enough torque.. Max power comes in only at 5000 RPM..

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

If you wan straight power and good corner speed.. go for Subaru ba.. :3

alot of pple say subaru got no looks.. but.. if you invest in widebody kit.. no one will say no looks :3

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
the main problems always appear is

EPS aka power steering issue
Water Temp sensor issue
VDi,SSV and Secondary air injection issues

these are what i met most of the time

and dun forget the engine overhauling too

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

[/COLOR]If you wan straight power and good corner speed.. go for Subaru ba.. :3

alot of pple say subaru got no looks.. but.. if you invest in widebody kit.. no one will say no looks :3
Better yet, get Lancer Evo if you want power and cornering speed plus practicality of a sedan and much better look than Impreza or RX8 IMHO (but again looks are subjective). :)
Anyway back to the original question, since it's a rotary engine, not many workshops can service and not as reliable as regular engine. IMHO the only positive aspect of the RX8 is that it's a good handling RWD car and got nice interior, but that's about it.

Jaymz

Oct 27, 2011
Johor bahru
Its a reliable engine.. the only issue we have are the owners.. alot owners cant be bothered..

Mazda's rotary came to fame when 787 won LeMan 24hr.. so what is reliability.. anyways.. thwe whole point is the owner :3

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Still not as reliable as normal engine since it's more 'sensitive' to detonation/knocking so the tuning and fuel quality are more critical for rotary engines. They need to be rebuilt more often than normal engines.
CMIIW though since I'm not a mechanic, let alone a rotary expert. :)

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Shorter maintenance interval doesn't mean it's less reliable, just that it's more 'delicate'. Reliability is defined by how well the component performs under the specified condition for a specified period of time. For an example, let say a rotary engine needs rebuilding/overhaul at 30k km interval. If the engine didn't suffer any problems up to that specified measurement, then it's a reliable engine. A rotary engine needing repairs twice during that 30k km is just as reliable as a normal engine that breaks down twice during it's own specified period (let's say 100k km).

The issue here is, a rotary operates under a different condition compared to a normal engine, therefore it has a differing set of 'standards'. Maintenance is key. You don't treat a dog the same way you treat a cat.

Ask yourself why an RX8. Does the rotary engine factor comes into it? If it doesn't, better look elsewhere is what I would say.

zuruzuruz

Known Member
Nov 12, 2006
Ampang
is it true or is it a myth that RX7 > RX8? if that's so, what's the main reason? Is it because uncle wankle died before he managed to complete his design for 13B?

kariayam

Known Member
Oct 3, 2007
Maybe cost of rebuilding rx7 is a lot cheaper than rx8 and perhaps cheaper compared to all performance car in the same class..spend 4k-5k,u'll get a refreshed engine with new performance apex seals for rx7...
What else to expect with that amount? Maybe only top overhaul for piston engines? :wavey: hehe

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Shorter maintenance interval doesn't mean it's less reliable, just that it's more 'delicate'. Reliability is defined by how well the component performs under the specified condition for a specified period of time. For an example, let say a rotary engine needs rebuilding/overhaul at 30k km interval. If the engine didn't suffer any problems up to that specified measurement, then it's a reliable engine. A rotary engine needing repairs twice during that 30k km is just as reliable as a normal engine that breaks down twice during it's own specified period (let's say 100k km).

The issue here is, a rotary operates under a different condition compared to a normal engine, therefore it has a differing set of 'standards'. Maintenance is key. You don't treat a dog the same way you treat a cat.

Ask yourself why an RX8. Does the rotary engine factor comes into it? If it doesn't, better look elsewhere is what I would say.
Well if say a rotary has to be rebuild every 30K while normal engines can go up to 100K before needing rebuild than IMHO still rotary is not as reliable as normal engines. If it's designed to only last to 30K then my argument is that the design is not as reliable as normal engine design. The way I see it, in the end the numbers does not lie, as simple as that really, especially since people has the choice to buy which one, so it still can/has to be compared to other available choices. I also never said it's not reliable, slightly different meaning there. :)
But again of course comes back to how ready the prospective owner is to maintain the car. Once you commit to buy it, you also commit to follow the way it should be treated/maintained. Do not expect to maintain a Merc like a Perodua. :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

allo

My car is very old and the white paint on some parts are crisping, I would like to spray over the parts to atleast cover it. The old paint is still very white, is not yet turn yellowish or anything, but its not reflective, just plain white. So hopefully patching it wont get very obvious unbalance look.

So what type of paint should i use and where can I buy it? Preferable can spray type. And can I make it look reflective by polishing it?

But i dun think can polish also bcuz the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience