Acetone as a fuel saver

Victa

Apr 29, 2005
Kuantan
n305er said:
Ethonal is actually good inside the engine. In fact, in the US where Petroleum is really expensive, they used E85 petrol... Which is 85% Ethonal and 15% unleaded Petrol. The result, 102 octane feul. Very clean and powerful that it's even used in Nascar racing.

Read all about it!!
http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/e85toolkit/e85_fuel.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_fuel

But did u know thet the high actane feul can burn ur engin the cilinder head gasket...Because high octane feul has a very high tempreture.. My friend did ones and after thet he had to overhole his engin...
And its not cheap..

n305er

Known Member
Jan 25, 2005
- Penang -
www.n305er.com
Victa said:
But did u know thet the high actane feul can burn ur engin the cilinder head gasket...Because high octane feul has a very high tempreture.. My friend did ones and after thet he had to overhole his engin...
And its not cheap..
Not sure... but ethanol's temp is only 425°C... And engines can go way higher then that. it's not recomended for old engines that's for sure. newer engines are deisgned for feuls like these.

antugile

Known Member
Dec 8, 2004
pg.photos.yahoo.com
if Im not mistaken last time someone mentioned to put "moth balls" or "ubat lipas" then put it into ur tank to give boost and power, issit have any connection to save fuel?

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
extracted from the website:

Add in tiny amounts from about one part per 5000 to one part per 3000, depending on the vehicle -- just a few ounces per ten gallons of gas. This comes to between 0.0003 % to 0.0025 % acetone maximum or approximately 1/15th of one-percent. Note that is around 0.78 cc per liter or one ounce per 10 gallons. Not more than three oz. per 10 gallons.
This is totally confusing as the values given are contradicting each other.

statement 1 says: "one part per 5000 to one part per 3000"
1/5000 to 1/3000
= 0.02% to 0.03%
= 0.20ml/L to 0.34ml/L

statement 2 says: "0.0003 % to 0.0025 %"

0.0003% v/v to 0.0025% v/v
= 0.003ml/L to 0.025ml/L

the value range way too small to be measurable even with a microlit pipette!! The value is also way too small compared to statement 1.

statement 3 says: "0.78 cc per liter". (note: cc = cubic centimeter = mL)

0.78 ml/L = 0.08%

the value is way too large compared to statements 1 and 2.

statement 4 says: "not more than three oz. per 10 gallons"

3 oz (US) = 88.7 mL
10 gal (US) = 37.854 L

3 oz/10 gal = 2.34ml/L or 0.23%

statement 4 is however comparable to the graph:

So which one is the correct value?!

statement 1 do not match any of the following statements and the graph-- OUT
statement 2 is not logical -- OUT
statement 3 do not match any of the following statements and the graph -- OUT
statement 4 matches the graph. Well, definitely i can't say that two false make a right. But these two data are the only matched pair.

OK. I did my experiment using the value given in statement 4 and the plots in the graph.

Last edited:

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
TEST SUBJECT:
I drive a Year-2004 Wira 1.5GLi Sedan with Siemens-VDO ECU, mileage clocks 24,000 km.

EXPERIMENTAL:
100 ml of acetone (99.9% purity) purchased from our chemical supplier was added into a tank-full of Caltex Vortex Gold, presumably slightly over 50L.

So the percentage is 0.2% or about 2ml/L, slightly lower than 2.34ml/L as in statement 4, but still well within the optimum range in the graph.

OBSERVATION:
Before the test, i managed to get about 0.08 - 0.09L/km, 80% town drive on daily routine. My wife uses about 50% of the mileage. So it's kinda mix driving style and traffic condition. However, our daily routines do not vary much. Same route same time same traffic condition to work, to get homed, to dine.. yes, darn boring. Once a while we do go out for TT thus the 20% of highway drive.

OK, with this tank, I must admit that i drove a little bit more aggresive. However, i have installed a manifold vacuum gauge and it seldomly reads lower than 5 inHg below atmosphere (that's about full throttle). I didn't feel that the car is more powerful, nor more responsive, nor smoother idling, nor less exhaust odor.

RESULTS:
I ran for exactly 222.1km and the gauge points the middle. I went back to the same station, same pump at almost the same time (i always top my tank at around 8pm before i go for dinner). The fuel pump reads 22.366L or RM34.

So, i used 22.37L for 222km, it works out to be 0.10L/km.

CONCLUSION:
From the calculation that show an increase in the FC, and considering that i drove a lil' bit more aggresive, just a little. Adding 0.2% of acetone into my regular fuel DID NOT help in reducing the FC.

FURTHER STUDY:
Could it be too high (if statement 4 and the graph are false)? Since the concentration is now diluted to about 0.11% v/v, we will see. I will top the tank at the same station, same pump, same time. Keep the driving style as the first tank, use the same road, remains my boring daily routine, and most importantly - DO NOTHING TO MY CAR, except toping the fuel.

Again, we'll see.

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
read my report again and understand it.

ok.. let me explain this

FURTHER STUDY:
Could it be too high (if statement 4 and the graph are false)? Since the concentration is now diluted to about 0.11% v/v, we will see. I will top the tank at the same station, same pump, same time. Keep the driving style as the first tank, use the same road, remains my boring daily routine, and most importantly - DO NOTHING TO MY CAR, except toping the fuel.
The concentration (conc.) reduced about 50% each time i top the tank when i have done about 220 km or half-tank. So the test routine will be full (conc. 1)-half-full (conc. 2)-half-full (conc. 3)-half-full (conc. 4)-half-full (conc. 5).

conc. 1 > conc. 2 > conc. 3 > conc. 4 > conc. 5

If i top exactly the same amount at exactly half-tank, according to the dilution equation, the concentration of acetone will be:

0.2% - 0.1% - 0.05% - 0.025% - 0.0125%

(definitely this is imposible. However, any concentration will do, it's not neccessarily to follow these values)

After the 5th reading, i will finish-up the tank and top it again. This will dilute the acetone concentration to nearly negligeable. and repeat the test all over again.

Last edited:

dcsj

Known Member
May 31, 2005
Selangor
fabrixchic.blogspot.com
babahni said:
By the way where in Malaysia could be buy this acetone ?
Hi all, i'm a chemical trader (Shell Agent) myself. Petroleum chemicals such as Ethanol, Methanol, IPA, Acetone are a few to named from my stocks. Any enquiries are welcome. [email protected] Thanks!

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
yes drexchan, what was the result of ur experiments? i hope they were good ler, dis is an interesting topic

CarroTT

Known Member
Nov 9, 2006
arent u guys worried of the side effects of adding acetone to the fuel ? :hmmmm:

will it dilute ur engine oil ?
acetone is corrosive stuff, its almost as bad as paint thinner

aktuali i tink just as simply as adding a bit of 2 stroke oil into the fuel tank of a fuel injected engine will automatically makes the combustion much richer, and the engine will automatically counter adjust by burning less fuel, coz simply now the engine register the fuel burns richer litre per litre.
Does this makes sense to u guys ?
anyway, this i tink is much safer than adding acetone . . . .
oso, cheap 2t oil is more economical than pure acetone . . . . .

oso, can someone tell me wat is " COLD acetone "?
i do not understand this :hmmmm:

icecube

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
cold acetone i think it mean that when u pour it out to a alluminium can (any coke can that u cut into half) and the can will become very cold like ice... :D maybe that what they mean by cold acetone??? anyway, most car running richer already so by adding 2T to make it richer wouldnt it cause higher consumptiion? (just curious and i have no fact or prove on this). anyway can try with high quality 2T oil which u can get roughly around rm60 per litter which doesnt have smoke or eat up ur piston ring faster compare to RM2 type of oil.

CarroTT

Known Member
Nov 9, 2006
i tot if the fuel pound for pound is richer burning oledi, the computer in ur car will otomatik adjust burn less fuel meh :hmmmm:
i dunno for sure meh, jus a stoopid idea

mebi add 2t oil, then u adjust ur fuel mapping so it burns less fuel. heheheee

This is the oni method tat i can tink of using the methodology of " making fuel burn with same quality with less quantity" :rofl:

If use Rm60 fully synth 2t oil, liddat like defeats the purpose oledi lor coz so expensive meh. Buy around RM30 plus oledi veli good enough oledi i tink. Here not concern bout the 2t use to lubricate the piston n ring, oni use it to make the fuel burn richer.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

Anyone knows where or who sells h2b kit in Malaysia. I don't mind used unit as long as usable condition.

Thanks and regards,
Drick
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience