A Truly Sad Story on Modding Car!

WiraLoh

Feb 25, 2006
Original spec
Proton 1993 wira a/b 1.6 XLI auto

Change to 1.6 MIVEC auto
at he beginning all is working fine, mivec can engage at 5.5K RPM

then within a year the gearbox spoil twice, (this is where the story start)

The mechanic suggested to change to Manual as well as upgrade to 1.8 block, so i go along with it.

1st day after the conversion, i notice :
1) The gear is hard to engage on all gear especially the 2nd gear
2) My alarm is not working anymore
3) reverse sensor and light not working anymore

I ask why the gear box hard to engage
reply the mechanic : all mivec gear box like that one lar hard to engage one! Its normal one.

I ask why my alarm and reverse sensor and light not working
reply the mechanic : Its already like that when the car is tow to my workshop, we didn’t do anything related to electrical in the car, its your car problem so do not blame it on us!.

2nd day, i go back again and he change the gearbox oil, but still deny having done anything to the alarm and reverse sensor.

So after i when home, i DIY and found the problem is they did not connect one of the wire causing the alarm not to function

3rd day, go back again and they found out the switch on the gearbox is spoil causing the reverse light and sensor not working. So i thought finally everything is fixed.

then at the same day, i went to another workshop and try find out if all the MIVEC gearbox is that hard to change gear, So i let the new mechanic to try the car, after one round and he pop open the hood, and to my horror this is what he say to me:

New Mechanic : This is not even a MIVEC gearbox, its made in Malaysia 1.5gearbox with the HICOM logo on it, your MIVEC does not even function after 5.5K RPM and this car is not even near to a power produce by a putra engine. I think you have been #@$^@# by that workshop!.

lesson learn today (17-01-2007) : Before doing any major Mod on a car, please go to a reputable/trusted workshop.

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
hey wiraloh..
where is the stupid act clever shop..
post it in zth so tht we all take note and alert!!
stupid con fellow!!

Stewart

Known Member
Jul 26, 2005
kl
go sue that workshop la..

and please name that workshop name so we go to that workshop again

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
just put the shop name here.......no need shy-shy and we'll blacklist this shop....in no time, he and his family will be eating lalang by the roadside...

VinceFS

Known Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah they are right, you should put the name of that fu*king shop in BOLD and CAPITAL LETTERS!!!

WiraLoh

Feb 25, 2006
The purpose of creating this tread is not to condemn or blacklist workshop, but its to educated those new people who are fresh/newbie in modifying cars to be more alert and not to repeat the same mistake as I do.

This workshop is open less than a year , it was introduce by a friend friend’s which is also one of the boss but he is seldom at this workshop as the other partner(mechanic) is managing the shop. There will no naming of the shop as this will definitely effect the business there. Because I know few of customer is also a member of this ZTH community.

The saddest part about this story is how I found out about the fake gearbox that was installed in my car, I ask him straight in his eyes if this is a Mivec gearbox and he “Yes” and DARE me to go to other workshop if don’t believe his words and kept saying about his more than twenty more years as a mechanic In this field.

So If you are not familiar with car engine’s or thinks that something not right, please go to other workshop for a second, third opinion. Prevention is always better than cure. I learn it the hard way and now need to fork out $$$ to cure my car.

Last edited:

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
WiraLoh said:
Original spec
Proton 1993 wira a/b 1.6 XLI auto

Change to 1.6 MIVEC auto
at he beginning all is working fine, mivec can engage at 5.5K RPM

then within a year the gearbox spoil twice, (this is where the story start)

The mechanic suggested to change to Manual as well as upgrade to 1.8 block, so i go along with it.

1st day after the conversion, i notice :
1) The gear is hard to engage on all gear especially the 2nd gear
2) My alarm is not working anymore
3) reverse sensor and light not working anymore

I ask why the gear box hard to engage
reply the mechanic : all mivec gear box like that one lar hard to engage one! Its normal one.

I ask why my alarm and reverse sensor and light not working
reply the mechanic : Its already like that when the car is tow to my workshop, we didn’t do anything related to electrical in the car, its your car problem so do not blame it on us!.

2nd day, i go back again and he change the gearbox oil, but still deny having done anything to the alarm and reverse sensor.

So after i when home, i DIY and found the problem is they did not connect one of the wire causing the alarm not to function

3rd day, go back again and they found out the switch on the gearbox is spoil causing the reverse light and sensor not working. So i thought finally everything is fixed.

then at the same day, i went to another workshop and try find out if all the MIVEC gearbox is that hard to change gear, So i let the new mechanic to try the car, after one round and he pop open the hood, and to my horror this is what he say to me:

New Mechanic : This is not even a MIVEC gearbox, its made in Malaysia 1.5gearbox with the HICOM logo on it, your MIVEC does not even function after 5.5K RPM and this car is not even near to a power produce by a putra engine. I think you have been #@$^@# by that workshop!.

lesson learn today (17-01-2007) : Before doing any major Mod on a car, please go to a reputable/trusted workshop.
Sorry to hear about your stock brother but i have some question for you....

1. How much you pay for the entire conversion ?
2. You getting fullhalf cut Mivec or just engine, engine + ECU + gearbox only ?

I think one of the reason why your Mivec is not working is the mech didn't change your ECU since Auto and Manual ECU is different.

Also when your new mech claimed yours is 1.5 gearbox, are you running on 4 speeds gearbox with overdrive or 3 speeds gearbox ?

WiraLoh

Feb 25, 2006
Phase 1 – Change to complete 1.6 Mivec auto halfcut + JPJ + others less than 7k (This was done at a different workshop as later the shop close down so no choice but to look for other workshop and found current workshop)

Phase 2 – Part 1 Change 1.8 block (Current workshop)
- Part 2 Change to Manual 5 speed gear box (Current workshop) how much is unknown, initially he quoted me the conversion from mivec auto to mivec manual, but now he plug in a 1.5 wira manual gearbox, so price is difference. Not settle yet!!.

Now no budget to fix the Mivec activation, will have to drive the cripple car to work everyday.

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
slowly bro ,
get the gearbox codes and go tiu him , dont pay him , u get a mivec gb somewhere else, ask him to fix.

- J f D -

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Aiyo that is shocking. Hope you are able to find a solution soon. I too am a noob at this, thanks for the heads up. Absolutely cruel. Damn them

kk9972

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
jeremy... penang too far la.. before you reaches at subang... wiraloh already melted....

Lord_darkslide

Known Member
Oct 19, 2005
WiraLoh said:
The purpose of creating this tread is not to condemn or blacklist workshop, but its to educated those new people who are fresh/newbie in modifying cars to be more alert and not to repeat the same mistake as I do.

This workshop is open less than a year , it was introduce by a friend friend’s which is also one of the boss but he is seldom at this workshop as the other partner(mechanic) is managing the shop. There will no naming of the shop as this will definitely effect the business there. Because I know few of customer is also a member of this ZTH community.
hello there... really sorry to hear what happen to ur car...

can u please put the name, and location of the workshop??

it is not condemn (but if me, i sure condemn 1..money hard to find.. this ppl easily cheat...but that just me..).
but do you want ur fellow brother in zth to be conned like u at the same shop???later they just copy paste ur post and change the nick only...

dun falme me pls, because i have read long time ago(2-3 cases) in zth like this...
"dear forumer.. i have problem with bla bla bla workshop"
and the reply....
"damn i had the same prob too with them"
and other reply..
"y dun u tell us earlier???"

just trying to help...

edit: thanks for reminding noobie like me about how w/shop con ppl...

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Greetings,

Just need to confirm with you guys, is it possible that Satria 1.6 using the small spare tyre (like Honda) rather than the normal spare tyre?
Thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience