4k salary can buy what car?

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
Hi everyone,

I must say the advice given has been very good, i myself am looking at buying a car . As an intro, Im a 26 year old earning about 5K after tax. I was thinking about buying the 2.0 civic but spending 1800++ per month (including maintenance+insurance+roadtax+misc) for a car doesnt sound sustainable to
me as im planning to get married in a couple of years :D.
So im now looking at a unregistered 2001 celica thats going for 108K.However
im missing some important data in terms of reliability and maintenance costs for the celica.Can some of the sifus here tell me what i can expect in terms of yearly maintenance for the 2001 celica and how reliable it is?My gf already has the family car for our future as she has already bought a pesona. What were looking for now is a car for us to have fun with but still reasonable on the pocket.Would really appreciate all the bros advice 2cents or otherwise!

P/S: I have 20k for downpayment. If any of the bros have any other car suggestions im all ears :) Preferrabaly sporty though as we already have a family type car.Thanks!
Bro, I'm 4 years older than you, salary about yours x 4.x times (tax free). But sadly to tell you that, you need to have at least 50% cash (depends on the car value) before you commit to a sport car. Why? A lot of hidden cost / indirect expenses. To own a car, monthly repayment is not the only thing. You can ignore the RM3-4k+ insurance, you can ignore the tires wear and tare, but you can't ignore the parts cost when the car break down. Once happen, you still can pay for it. But you will lost your economy balance for the rest of the year. Except someone can borrow you money and you have the options pay him back next life, or, a workshop can let you pay installment for 1-2 years. Other thing like buying nice clothing, TT and etc not include yet. I spent about RM4xk on this year for my car maintenance and mods, including repaired my blown engine. What do you think if this happen to you?

RM5k salary, better just buy a Vios or City. Got extra money, go and buy a house or a 2nd house. After all settled and have 6 digits of cash, then can think about which sport car to buy. Those rich men's kids are different la. They can buy whatever they want. But for those who have no good family background (rich family) like you and me, need to think more before spending. Just like playing real time strategy games, your opponent start the game with a strong base and plenty of tanks/army but you only start with a resource collecting tank, how to play?

A good advise will never sound good. Don't let your urge and emotion ruin your bright future.

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
Own it for a year, experienced the fun & glamour, then quickly sell it, b4 'pain' starts to kick in.......

lil_piggy2

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
CSL.... my sympathise to u on ur blown engine man... i know the stress u went thru... I almost had to go thru that as well.... thank goodness it was a false alarm... else i probably would spend about the same amount as you too... Yeah... driving a sportscar is all glamorous and all... but back to the reality is that its inpractical.... unless u have more than Rm50k to throw every year... else any sportscar for that matter is basically burning money... sure its fun when u get the attention and when u feel the thrill of the speed... but whether or not the pocket can support it...

bro.. if u are only willing to spend 1.5k a month... dun go buying urself a car beyond your means ler... its better to build the wealth first... then if u wanna burn away 5% on some luxury sports cars.. do it...

"Wise man learn from their own mistakes, Successful Men Learn from Other People's Mistake"

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
A good advise will never sound good. Don't let your urge and emotion ruin your bright future.
Yeah, wise words. Most young people get taken in by all the glamour of owning a sportscar, not fully realizing that there are can be significant sacrifices both in terms of utility and finance.

Honestly, first get yourself to the point of being a made-man before dabbling in the luxurious life. Many young people with the stars in the eyes are writing cheques their bodies can't cash.

Gambar666

Aug 31, 2005
Ampang
Wah Bro CSL, RM40K?? Thats freaking expensive dude. What kind of sports car do you have?? My god if i kena like i that i sure die one lorrr...

Your 30 years old and earning RM 20K ++?? Damn thats good man!! What are you doing for a living? Do you have your own business? Or are you working for a company? Man i need to get a piece of that action... I wanna earn 20k++ a month too!

lil_piggy2

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
Wah Bro CSL, RM40K?? Thats freaking expensive dude. What kind of sports car do you have?? My god if i kena like i that i sure die one lorrr...

Your 30 years old and earning RM 20K ++?? Damn thats good man!! What are you doing for a living? Do you have your own business? Or are you working for a company? Man i need to get a piece of that action... I wanna earn 20k++ a month too!
Brother 666,

The average cost of Changing engine is about RM10k already for those old cars.... when engine blow u need to change the engine... therefore u gotta hunt for either a halfcut or an engine itself... that will set u back for...urm.. lets use EG6 as an example.. the halfcut cost Rm7k... and then dun tell me u wanna put that engine straight inside.. u need to overhaul the new engine first mar... coz u dunno what is really screwed up inside( u dun wanna drive after a month then need to send in to overhaul rite).. that will cost another RM3k( port polish, balancing, etc etc) that wil bring total cost of halfcut and overhaul to RM10k liao... then the initial cost of take out and check engine old engine... will be around RM2.5k (cheap cheap figure)... then fit back ur new engine in... cost around another RM1.5k.... that is already total cost of RM14k... then change oil lar, etc etc etc... another few hundred... Bring it closer lar..

RM15k.... that is the cost of change engine just for old cars like the EG6(take note... this is an early 90s car... newer cars such as the celica or whatever would be at least double that price lar) therefore RM40k for change of engine is not surprising lar...

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
I'm in O&G industrial, Russia. My dad passed away before my 1st birthday.

I guess Lennon should know how much I send my Renesis to Autoexe Japan for rebuilt.
Sorry dude, Russia O&G in Malaysia??? Not schlumberger??

lil_piggy2

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
Oh.... RX8 engine ar... no wonder lar.... wah.. quite a lot of RX8 seem to have blown their engine ar... sheetz..... scary ler... but honestly.. if I know my car will have to spend around Rm40k to repair... I will spend Rm300 to tow it to a hill... and then roll it down and then jump out to crash it... total lost it.. muahaha.. then claim insurance lar...

Last edited:

xbalance2002

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
guys sorry to say this way ...dont u feel bore this topic on and off for some time and now already page 32... have you get any idea wat car to buy?

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
Oh.... RX8 engine ar... no wonder lar.... wah.. quite a lot of RX8 seem to have blown their engine ar... sheetz..... scary ler... but honestly.. if I know my car will have to spend around Rm40k to repair... I will spend Rm300 to tow it to a hill... and then roll it down and then jump out to crash it... total lost it.. muahaha.. then claim insurance lar...
He can choose a cheaper option, but he didn't..... But an engine from jap kinda worth it....

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
To be safe, a civic 1.8 or Lancer GT will be the maximum (need to get 9 years loan). These cars have less/cheaper running cost. The Optra also can consider ok for long term (my wife has 1). But have doubt on Altis. Cuz both my friends' car got their drive shaft replaced and the quote from toyota was about RM4k+. Luckily both also under warranty. 1 In KL and 1 in Kuantan.

BTW, I'm not working in Malaysia. Cuz bosses are usually too smart and too stingy. :rofl:

And, I won't forget Lennon did help me a lot when I was in trouble at the beginning. Else, more bleeds on my wallet.

Last edited:

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
Bro, that was a human error la. Cuz I push the car to 9.5-10k rpm in 1st,2nd,3rd gear (as long as got chance :rofl: ). Total repair cost was only RM2xk. The rest was on other things/mods. New engine cost below RM20k (hidden cost unknown). Celica's engine should be more lasting. But need to calculate the timing chain, road tax/insurance, tires and etc. Easily burn away RM4-6k a year, excluding regular maintenance (except week end car). Need celica owner to tell.

Last time with my wira, 1 month salary used to last 3-4 months. Now....money just disappear like that without knowing where it gone.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i currently converted to four disc brake, parts all new and serviced(seals,brakepads and rotor).......i have installed steel braided hose and double layer servo too.... but, when i do emergency brake at high speed, my car just being pulled to right side....... why this can be? the right brake has jammed before but my mech fixed it by open caliper from my rotor and put it back(without release the brake fluid)...... my car is wira converted to mivec1.8 turbo.. i admit that my car has accident...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience