4age 20v BT warms up really slow...

foolat

Known Member
Dec 24, 2005
I have got a question... my car warms up pretty slow. Takes more than 15 mins to go up to quarter. And when I turn on the air cond, it is usually around quarter, when air cond is off it will go to half but takes a long time.

I was looking at a friend's car and the temp goes up to half in about 5 mins.

Is there anything wrong with this?

r60262

Known Member
Mar 23, 2006
try check ur thermostat. dh by pass ko.. if i'm not wrong la...

foolat

Known Member
Dec 24, 2005
errrr *scratches head* how do I test the thermostat ah?

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
c c tat thermo stat got rusted or jamned or not.....if got change it.....

if condition still ok.. u can dril some hole on the thermostat to allows circulation of the water even the temperature is low.......

when u ac off.. temperature half i think ok gua cus ac fan not run mah... just left 1 radiator fan run onli.. may be ur radiator fan not kuat liaw.. put ur hand there feel it the power of ur fan... .correct me if i wrong...

but mine svt always on half section temperature even i On or OFF the AC... keke..just share share my experience..,.

thanks..

wilm3

500 RPM
Aug 4, 2005
KL
i think ur thermostat got jam so it can't fully close hence water can circulate eventhough temperature still low ....and causing ur engine slow warm up...ask ur mechanic to check lor...

strontium_bismuth

Known Member
Apr 20, 2005
malacca-s.alam
yeah.. all i can see here the prob from the thermostat. for normal bt , when warming up it only takes less than 10 minutes.

foolat

Known Member
Dec 24, 2005
errrr.... let me see if I can find tools to remove the thermostat :D but what you guys said makes perfect sense.

If i take the thermostat out, do i need a new gasket sealer or anything? or i can just take out and put in without having to change anything. Scared water leak only after i meddle with it :D

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
after taken out...if gasket still ok...use it back if not change it...or u can use the gasket paper n customise yourself...then add gasket seal to make a better seal...tight the screw...start the engine check if there's any leaks...

foolat

Known Member
Dec 24, 2005
okieesss... i just took a peek at the thermostat area (i didn't take it apart yet) and I don't think I see the thermostat :(

I think it's been bypassed. Will I be able to see the thermostat without removing the water inlet unit? I just see the inlet connected to the side of the body, no extra metallic ring in between inlet and engine body.

Hmmm... is it advisable to run without a thermostat? though it keeps the engine cool I'm sure, but the temp is always not at operating temperature then. If that's the case, the VVT won't be turned on isn't it?

foolat

Known Member
Dec 24, 2005
oh btw sexycar, where do i get a brand new thermostat for rm50? are all toyota ones the same?

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
hmm.. BT warm up 10 minute ar? how about SVT? my SVT take blardy long to warm up as well, 15 min. but on aircond it go up faster lar since hot air from aircond goes over the radiator heating it up even faster.

however, when reach normal temperature it won't go down anymore... unless i travel at 110km/h ram air inside then it drop to 1/3 lar. if not stay at 1/2

otismummum

500 RPM
Oct 28, 2005
Hey, foolat! change to TRD thermostat la. hehehe. dunno how much. When coming back KL?

wilm3

500 RPM
Aug 4, 2005
KL
rollakid; last time my temperature exactly like urs...once i travel fast the temp will drop....but after i change a new thermostat, no matter how fast i go the temp still maintain at 1/2.... and i found tat my old thermostat jam a bit(can't fully closed even temp low) so the water keep on circulate....