4-1 0r 4-2-1 works best for drag racing??

wiramax

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2006
hi zthrian,

if u guys have experience with drag racing either 300m or 400m, please share ur knowledge & infos on which header/extractor works best for drag racing especially on NA setup.Thanks

wiramax

cartoon

500 RPM
Sep 7, 2005
KevinGarage.com
www.kevingarage.com
Are you really sure for drag use only??

For sudden drag (road use), 4-1 is recommend, the weakness is poor low end torque.

For drag racing (race use), no need to use exhaust extractor, just direct blow to open space.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
4-1 best for drag use... coz in drag races, u'll be utilising mid-high revs alot... hence, u need quick exit of ur exhaust gases... get a tuned length 4-1 extractor and straight piping is the best....

of coz wif this, ur low end sucks...

wiramax

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2006
Are you really sure for drag use only??

For sudden drag (road use), 4-1 is recommend, the weakness is poor low end torque.

For drag racing (race use), no need to use exhaust extractor, just direct blow to open space.

thx for sharing.drag race oni lar. by smtime oso for street drag..hehe

Bump:
4-1 best for drag use... coz in drag races, u'll be utilising mid-high revs alot... hence, u need quick exit of ur exhaust gases... get a tuned length 4-1 extractor and straight piping is the best....

of coz wif this, ur low end sucks...

thx for the info.arghh..need to get2 header like this.421 for daily drive, n 4-1 for drag competition. Btw, does 4-1 low end really sucks? i mean for daily drive, where normaly we will drive at 2-3krpm oni?

Last edited:

cartoon

500 RPM
Sep 7, 2005
KevinGarage.com
www.kevingarage.com
Yes bro, 4-1 extractor has poor low-end torque performance.

For stock engine, they are good in low-mid range torque output, like you say, it is design for daily use, but for modified engine like using high cam, the maximum torque output will focus on mid-high range. Now even using the 4-1 extractor, the car will go crazy on high rpm, but low-end rpm? you can imagine how worst it is ^_^

Since you are focus on race use, poor low-end torque and high fuel consumption should be no problem to you ^_^

wiramax

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2006
Yes bro, 4-1 extractor has poor low-end torque performance.

For stock engine, they are good in low-mid range torque output, like you say, it is design for daily use, but for modified engine like using high cam, the maximum torque output will focus on mid-high range. Now even using the 4-1 extractor, the car will go crazy on high rpm, but low-end rpm? you can imagine how worst it is ^_^

Since you are focus on race use, poor low-end torque and high fuel consumption should be no problem to you ^_^

thanx a a lot for sharing the info.:biggrin:

shawnho

Known Member
Mar 31, 2009
For a drag racing car its better u use 4-1 extractor. it doesn't really matter because it depends on the car u use and wat sort of mordification you do to your engine. If u tune your engine for more low end torque then 4-1 extractor with straight piping would be good. :P

wiramax

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2006
For a drag racing car its better u use 4-1 extractor. it doesn't really matter because it depends on the car u use and wat sort of mordification you do to your engine. If u tune your engine for more low end torque then 4-1 extractor with straight piping would be good. :P
erm..smtg interesting..btw my car is sohc..which my low-end ady good..i m looking for mid to hi-end//:listen:

cartoon

500 RPM
Sep 7, 2005
KevinGarage.com
www.kevingarage.com
For engine with high cam-shaft, over-size throttle, strengthen valve spring; using the 4-1 extractor will amplified the power on high rpm, because all this setting is focus on high rpm performance.

But talking about the stock engine with using SOHC, due to the cam shaft design, it is focus on daily drive with less fuel consumption, so the performance will focus on low-mid range.

Stock engine plus 4-1 extractor, actually it is not a good idea. The engine with good low-mid range performance but using the extractor that focus on high rpm output, this is very clear and show that it is not match with your engine, you will not get the performance you want, and end up with higher fuel consumption with less power output.

Making a extractor for the engine with high rpm output is very easy, just let the exhaust gas going out as fast as possible.

But for the engine with low-mid range output, that is totally different story, the extractor must base on the characteristic of the engine to build it, only the product that prof from the test lab can give you the correct answer, if not, you need to be a "tikus putih" to test the extractor one by one, in order to get the perfect match.

wiramax

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2006
For engine with high cam-shaft, over-size throttle, strengthen valve spring; using the 4-1 extractor will amplified the power on high rpm, because all this setting is focus on high rpm performance.

But talking about the stock engine with using SOHC, due to the cam shaft design, it is focus on daily drive with less fuel consumption, so the performance will focus on low-mid range.

Stock engine plus 4-1 extractor, actually it is not a good idea. The engine with good low-mid range performance but using the extractor that focus on high rpm output, this is very clear and show that it is not match with your engine, you will not get the performance you want, and end up with higher fuel consumption with less power output.

Making a extractor for the engine with high rpm output is very easy, just let the exhaust gas going out as fast as possible.

But for the engine with low-mid range output, that is totally different story, the extractor must base on the characteristic of the engine to build it, only the product that prof from the test lab can give you the correct answer, if not, you need to be a "tikus putih" to test the extractor one by one, in order to get the perfect match.

thx for ur advice. say this is my engine spec 1.8sohc, 272degree cam,mild port,oversize throttle n intake,bigger capacity injector n fuel pump,2.1 inch mandrel bend piping but follow std route. so with this kind of setup, do you think i benefit more if i m using 4-1 extractor? currently my low end is ok..looking for more mid to highend power. ur opinion is much appreciated.

Last edited:

cartoon

500 RPM
Sep 7, 2005
KevinGarage.com
www.kevingarage.com
I think you have know the answer already, because the last post has give you the clear answer :biggrin:

I think more important thing is, you must know what is the reason you get all this part for, and how the part works.

Even you have all this performance part, with out proper tuning to re-write the air/fuel ratio on ECU, all this part is useless.

If this drag car is only use for race and not use to driving on the street, it should be fine.

If it is also your daily drive car, then you must very careful to drive it, if you did experience the power over weight before, you should know what I mean. Because you will be kill by your own car, don't over confidence.

wiramax

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2006
I think you have know the answer already, because the last post has give you the clear answer :biggrin:

I think more important thing is, you must know what is the reason you get all this part for, and how the part works.

Even you have all this performance part, with out proper tuning to re-write the air/fuel ratio on ECU, all this part is useless.

If this drag car is only use for race and not use to driving on the street, it should be fine.

If it is also your daily drive car, then you must very careful to drive it, if you did experience the power over weight before, you should know what I mean. Because you will be kill by your own car, don't over confidence.

thx.i should get the clear picture now.:driver:

oligokoko

Known Member
Aug 17, 2008
hie all zthians,

from my experience, 4-2-1 is gud 4 low (1-3.5k rpm) end rpm range n 4-1 for mid n high end rpm range.

just 2 ask sumthing 4 u guys, for auto cars, it is not advisable 2 use straight pipe exhaust right? can sumbody explain y? n also from sum ppl's POV, twisted center bullet is better for auto cars. y is this eh? i tot free flowing exhaust is better for engines coz twisted center bullet will create back pressure which will hurt ur performance. n also sum ppl's POV, open pod air filters is not gud 4 auto cars. care 2 explain this too. tq sifus =)

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

emm... Just wondering..

Is it possible to put the H22A or H20B from Honda into our engine bay.??
I'm not sure about the engine mounting, but, I do believe that all the wiring, ECU and other electronic stuff to change also..
Has anyone has ever did this swap.? How hard is it...

It would be gud if all the sifu's can put in their comments about this one.

~help me to help you~
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience