17" 7J rim with 205/40 ZR17 on Perodua Myvi 1.3 EXi have problems... HELP!!!

tk2005takeru

Known Member
Jun 15, 2005
KK
I currently have a big problem... After I'd changed to a 17" rim with the above tire stated, every time a few of my friends came up my car and sit at the rear, the side of the rear tire will be eaten away by the metal above the tire and many tire strips can be found hanging there. I'm current using stock spring and abs.

I'd think about a solution,
Change abs to more stiffer and adjustable height.
-> Can I adjust the height without taking the whole abs down? I know there's a knob on the topside to adjust the stiffness. Are there any knobs to adjust the height ?

Is there any other better solution to this problem without changing the 17" rim as the shop owner refuse to change a 16" to me and no body hammering.

TQ!!

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
look for add on bush for your rear shock rubber mount but your car will look high when w/o passenger...

17" look nice but power and fc sux (pardon me) :P

tk2005takeru

Known Member
Jun 15, 2005
KK
find a aftermarket absorber, that will done =) or some stiffer spring =)

i tried hotbits before, 17" and respond very good.
Can you recommend me any good aftermarkets absorber around the market besides hotbits? Where can I find them? TQ!!

tk2005takeru

Known Member
Jun 15, 2005
KK
look for add on bush for your rear shock rubber mount but your car will look high when w/o passenger...

17" look nice but power and fc sux (pardon me) :P
How high will it be raised after adding bush? Any recommended workshop for fixing the bush on my car? Can Perodua Workshop do it? TQ!!

hansonchen

Known Member
Jan 25, 2007
a cheaper way would be knocking the inner lip with a hammer till it lets the tyre clears

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
17"?? oh my...u really ah beng....

hey! ask ur friends take cab laa...

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
so many ppl had problems after installing larger rims and tyres.....ppl see, ppl do. but they seldom think abt practicality. Always want to have a chun looking car, so chun until the car almost cannot carry pasengers liow...

however, ppl still don't be bother and now got problem oredi...haih.....

Some ppl need to learn through HARD way.....:shcokedcamo:

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
Some ppl need to learn through HARD way.....:shcokedcamo:
maybe they think we live life once....later die and they will be the laughing stock in heaven coz neva experienced using super large wheels....or in hell. who knows.

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
best way is.. using adjustable shock absorber n its expensive way..

or- get a stiffer shock absorber/springs
or- add a rubber buffer at the shocks
or- ketuk the inner fenders

and i dont understand, y is ur standard shock so soft when got pax? r u sure u didn't modified it or replace springs or potong spring n such?

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Or did the guy at the tyre shop conveniently forgotten to tell you by fitting 17" rims, your tyres will knock the fenders?

That is why when you wanna change bigger rims, don't ever believe whatever the mechanic says. More than often, they'll advise you the wrong rims and when you carry more people on board the car, it'll start to knock the fender and damage the tyres. Do your research online first. Make sure you're getting the right offset for rims that you wanna buy.

tk2005takeru

Known Member
Jun 15, 2005
KK
Planning to put Titan Customized, but won't it be stiffer? TQ!!

LuKa

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2005
Kedah
if u already plan to customized it.. then dont custom it to be stiff..

wuzzles

Known Member
Dec 1, 2003
before we butcher the poor guy for putting something which is "impractical", why not see where the problem actually lies? BTW, myvi on 17 are a common sight and on the practical-o-meter, i would say it's a 6 out of 10. nothing too outrageous. anyway....

Tk,
Firstly, from what i've read, your tire specs are correct. Using stock abs and springs, the gap between the tires and the rim are actually higher than if you changes your springs. In other words, ppl actually find the car very high on the standard spring and usually opt for after market springs to bring it even lower down. Yes, even with 3 big adults at the back. If it rub only when you hit a high speed bump, then it's something normal (considering how heavy your frens are). It is constantly rubbing when you have ppl or just when you hit holes and speed bumps?

1 information i don't see is what is the rim offset. I think that might be the culprit of the problem. Can you check what is the offset of the rim? anything around 38~42 should be fine. If more or less, that might be the source.

Check this out 1st. If this is the problem, better to solve the problem then pay for a work around

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm thiking of upgrading my Charade Aura........
1..wat shud i do?
2..where do i start?
3..hoe much is da cost roughly....

all i knoe is that to convert/transplant it to a Gtti engine

Confuse..........!!!!

HELP........:confused_smile:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience