Burned rubber smell

wwilliamm

Jul 12, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Has anyone experience it before? As I'm experiencing it myself currently on my myvi 1.5 auto tranny.

After a couple of hard rev's with my windows slightly down, I could smell the burn rubber smell

coming in. Stop the car aside, pop the hood and found nothing was wrong as the smell is coming

from the engine bay tho. Any suggestions? :confused: :hmmmm:

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
There might be a possibility its your tyres that are new giving that smell...

But pls dont take my word for it...

Just drive and when the smell comes stop at the nearest petrol kiosk and put your nose near the wheel to smell if its the same...:smokin:

wwilliamm

Jul 12, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Sure. Bring it to the workshop for inspection
There might be a possibility its your tyres that are new giving that smell...

But pls dont take my word for it...

Just drive and when the smell comes stop at the nearest petrol kiosk and put your nose near the wheel to smell if its the same...:smokin:
Nyantong, yeap would definitely ask the sc on my next OCI.

Lesly, thanks for the info will check it out if the smell arises again. Only happen during hard rev tho.

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
Might be burned engine oil smell..
I drive few car also have smell when drive it hard.
I think not a problem but check ur engine oil, or anything that is visible around the engine bay that is burned

Last edited:

wwilliamm

Jul 12, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Might be burned engine oil smell..
I drive few car also have smell when drive it hard.
I think not a problem but check ur engine oil, or anything that is visible around the engine bay that is burned
Hmm, how do i know if the engine oil is burned? I tried checking around all the cables and fuses but everything seems to be fine.

wwilliamm

Jul 12, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
u won't notice because only little amount of oil burned.
I think suppose to be relate to oil catch can.
Okay here's the thing, I just double check and my engine oil is at the proper level, timing belt not slipping and the auto transmission fluid is still pinkish and no burn smell. Weirddd! guess I'm just gonna ask the sc.

Last edited:

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
Okay here's the thing, I just double check and my engine oil is at the proper level, timing belt not slipping and the auto transmission fluid is still pinkish and no burn smell. Weirddd! guess I'm just gonna ask the sc.
u got my meaning wrong:banghead:, i mean small amount of engine oil circulate through ur throttle body and intake manifold when u drive it hard.
The more i write , the more confuse u are.:listen:

wwilliamm

Jul 12, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Check ur brakes
Yeap, that I'll pass on to the sc to check it.

u got my meaning wrong:banghead:, i mean small amount of engine oil circulate through ur throttle body and intake manifold when u drive it hard.
The more i write , the more confuse u are.:listen:
Lol I was just double checking on the engine bay only. And I get what you meant :)

spoon civic

Known Member
Jul 12, 2012
terengganu
Has anyone experience it before? As I'm experiencing it myself currently on my myvi 1.5 auto tranny.

After a couple of hard rev's with my windows slightly down, I could smell the burn rubber smell

coming in. Stop the car aside, pop the hood and found nothing was wrong as the smell is coming

maybe your pad brake burning?some engine oil can cause burning smell when u high revving..i think there's no problem la....many new cars when high revving can cause that smell bro....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I only smell burnt smell from other cars when coming down from genting but thanks for sharing, at least something new to take
note.

spoon civic

Known Member
Jul 12, 2012
terengganu
Hmm, how do i know if the engine oil is burned? I tried checking around all the cables and fuses but everything seems to be fine.
if there no burned equipment,maybe your engine oil burned when high revving..its ok then..just check wheter the loil decrease or not.if decrease from the safety dip level..shlud add some....your pad btake burned also can give smell...............

wwilliamm

Jul 12, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
it was your catalytic converter smell.. it was normal for stock car nowadays.
I see thanks for the advice :)

Could be your ATF or engine oil dripping on the exhaust, thus giving the smell..

Check if theres any leaks....
Did double check my engine bay, no leaks on the ground as well as on the heatshield of my stock extractor so yeah.

maybe your pad brake burning?some engine oil can cause burning smell when u high revving..i think there's no problem la....many new cars when high revving can cause that smell bro....
doubt is brake pad because i brake hard and no smell only after high rev's from 4k-6k.

after a couple of weeks the smell will be gone...
Hopefully it will haha.

I only smell burnt smell from other cars when coming down from genting but thanks for sharing, at least something new to take
note.
Agree to that !

if there no burned equipment,maybe your engine oil burned when high revving..its ok then..just check wheter the loil decrease or not.if decrease from the safety dip level..shlud add some....your pad btake burned also can give smell...............
Did double check my dipstick tho, level still the same never decrease. And can't be my brake pad as it only happen during hard revs. When I hard brake there isn't any smell only got the " Squee Squee " sound lol.

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
every time i chase a car with this smell.. i knew they are still using the catalytic converter.. most of them with stock exhaust.. the smell only comes when u revved the car hard.. that is normal for nowadays car bro.. the catalytic converter burned excessive build up that goes through them..

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

tyre burnt la hard rev=spinn tyre sure got burnt rubber smell :driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,

Until today my brake system is still not that powderful. Few weeks ago, i brought my car to check my brakes .. so what they did is .. they change both front and rear brake pump, new brake fluid, clean the inside caliper and replace the tubes. I also change a new brake pad.

Then I found some weird noise when I stop the car .. I can hear this 'tik tik tik' sound. And, when I engage 1st gear got this weird noise too not 'tik tik tik' sound. :(

Any sifus can tell me what is wrong...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience