damm... i burned my woofers..

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

renxun

1,000 RPM
bought my self a brand new mohawk extreme series amp of 2000.1 ....

powered it up to whack my 3units of MTX RT12-44..... after a while ... screw was blasted out cuz my enclosure papan start to fail. i changed to bigger screw... then i whack again .... around 15 minutes later i smell something real bad from inside my car.... and before i could turn down anything... my bass stops...

went to the back and saw lots of smoke coming out from the woofer ports... all 3 failed same time.. one of them stuck inside the woofer diaphrage wont come out aledy.... damm.... more than 1k gone....fcuk.....

i asked my friend why my sub damage till like that... how can 3 sub fail same time..and they say my woofer port hole shouldnt be 2.5inches if wanna be xtreme... and should blast closed enclosure to maintain the load... i dont know how true is this... but the damage is too big for me this time... im tinking to settle down with 1 unit of 15inch double voice coil and double magnet sub to save space, enclosure size ,wiring headaches, and cost to replace my subs...

any opinion guys?

how did u wire the 3 subs....? if it was parallel/parallel u will end up with 0.67 ohms, suprising the amp didnt burn, and im guessing the subs were overpowered, since theyre only 200W rms, and 400W max power. make sure u wire them series/parallel so u end up with a load of 2.67 ohms only which would be safe for both amp and subs.

this link will explain the wiring for you...
JL Audio

Last edited:
wow dude.... didnt ur installer said anything when u wanna whack 3 subs with one monoblock...?

i dun think the box hav anything to do with the process of burning yor subs... like zenn... i think you over powered your subs...

i wire my subs at 2.67 ohm as per diagram in d website given by zenn..
and i remember the time i blast, the amp setting everything was not around middle setting or slightly less then half of the knob turn and i was playing my HU around volume 26 out of 30(max).

i thought i heard that its ok for amp having bigger power then the subs as lack of amp power is more likely to damage the woofers .. and i never thought of overpowering will melt 3 subs down the drain just like that... awwww...

what are the power figures for the mohawk amp? not familiar with it sorry, but the mtx subs u were using are really low power handling, just 200W rms....

my mohawk amp are pumping out 2000w rms at 1ohm load and the peak is 4k ++ watts if im not mistaken from the booklet in the box. i thought 3unit of 200w rms sub is ok to play loud but it turns the other way round..will go for 15incher very soon.any opinion? heard that one unit of good 15" sub can drive heavier deep bass then 2 units of 12". again its heard from friends and im still dont know how true tis can be.. can enlight me on this?

1. I highly doubt that the amp will put out 2000w@1ohm.

2. Sub RMS rating is normally set on thermal rating. You can have 1000w to a 200w but at 6 seconds and it will be fine. In fact I remember someone burp a Sony Xplod sub (rated at 200w rms) at 4000w and hit 150Db and the sub is still fine.

3. 15" plays lower than 12" is some misconception which most ppl live with. A 12" can play lower than a 15" with good ported enclosure on it.

I had my 2 CVR's (total 800w) powered by a 2000w amp and its still working fine up to today.

the life span on a sub is very much dependant on how you play your music. maybe you do not go till the extend that your woofers working at their max load and changes sound. for me .. im not sure cuz the woofers are located behind my seats im not sure whether im playing the sound loud too over that it started to change sound (maxing out) and still continue.i hardly able to listen if there is any slight change in sound if there is any if the sub is behind the seat.unless im standing right in front of the sub then i can notice if im maxing out my subs.

for the person who burp one UNIT of sony xplod of 200watt sub can whack up to 150db i should say its impossible... and where does he take his db measurement from? dashboard at 150db i will be the first one not to believe this claim...

whether or not my amp is churning out true 2000w rms at 1ohm im not sure either. i just know for a local brand amp to be priced at rm1.8k should be somewhere close to d figure regardless of the sound quality it produce. running originally at 175amp fuse i guess it still can power most sub that are available in our local acc shop

Is it possible that the sub operates beyond their Xmax?
Is this = overpower?
Your LP also on right?

I though low notes are omnidirectional? So, it doesn't matter where you're sitting at right?

you blast your music too loud. AND (i'm guessing) with bass boost at max.

next time, whenever u blast your music, go behind and see if the output is distorted or not. And get used to what music to be played at xx volume. Some musics are recorded at high level than others..

you blast your music too loud. AND (i'm guessing) with bass boost at max.

next time, whenever u blast your music, go behind and see if the output is distorted or not. And get used to what music to be played at xx volume. Some musics are recorded at high level than others..

oh ya... thats a good point there... i never thought of music recorded sometimes is higher than others.... ya.. i noticed that too .. ... and about this term distortion.... i read about this in jl audio website... however i still dont quite understand wat they are trying to tell ... how do u define whether there is distortion happening or not?

renxun,
i think u shld try to get better subs than those mtx Road thunder series lo...try the thunder series..as the thunder series more suitable for hardcore pounding...and see if the same thing happens...cheers

oh ya... thats a good point there... i never thought of music recorded sometimes is higher than others.... ya.. i noticed that too .. ... and about this term distortion.... i read about this in jl audio website... however i still dont quite understand wat they are trying to tell ... how do u define whether there is distortion happening or not?

the easiest way is to listen... other than tht i think you should hav your amp o-scoped to set the gain... mayb all this while you hav been feeding distorted signals to your subs without even knowing it...

cheers...

how do u define whether there is distortion happening or not?

for a subwoofer, it can be either mechanical noise i.e. where you over-excurt the sub or the sub start to sound different.

just go behind and slowly increase your volume, if your bass starts to sound different then that is your max. limit on vol.

common sound i hear is that *plak*plak*plak*...

with such enclosure i still find it hard to believe.. further more the figure being posted up is not showing enough evidence whether its taken from there.

cuz 140db+ is already very loud and among the normal standards in local spl competition. and it definitely involve 4units sub and above.

with such enclosure i still find it hard to believe.. further more the figure being posted up is not showing enough evidence whether its taken from there.

cuz 140db+ is already very loud and among the normal standards in local spl competition. and it definitely involve 4units sub and above.

Do you really think numbers of sub you have will tell you what numbers you hit?? So I would say that if I have 4 15" then I would certainly hit 150Db??

I can do 140 Db with a single 15".

Dude SQ or SPL is about install. Mike Bartels with 1 18" Fi BTL and JBL Crown amp hit 170.1 Db. Even higher than Steve Meade with 4 18 BTL's

But anyway thats your believe.

since with one woofer can achieve those number , then could u share how you hit 140db with a single 15"? what type of enclosure you recommend? vented?sealed?cubic feet capacity?

i just bought a 15" this afternoon. i did the statement above is because i saw the 1st runner up in the local spl competition hitting 147db with 4units of 12"woofers powered by 2amps of 1500w. i know myself cant afford all those and hence i cant achieve the db. so is there any guidance on my enclosure design? i havent do my enclosure yet

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom