when to change rubber bushes?

Freedom_Blue

Known Member
Jun 2, 2005
KUALA LUMPUR
Skywalker i think urs is the stearing rack mounting.I had the same problem wz my iswara last time.Now when i go on humps its making iiioook iiiook sound.When i go on a sharp hump it sound like going to come out.Could it be absobers or something else

kowkl

Known Member
Nov 26, 2003
Guys,

If you have the problem, I would suggest you get it checked out and change it. Most likely it's the bearing and if there is excessive wear, it might get stuck and you can't turn your steering.

Not sure about iswara coz my wife's car don't have that problem yet. As for the price, if it's the rubber bush then it's only around RM30 but if it's the bearing then the whole mounting have to be change that's why so expensive.

astalavista_baby

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Since this topic talks about bush, hmm, I was just wondering, I am driving a Suzuki Swift and I find the ride kinda noisy especially when the absorbers are doing their work. When I go through bumps, the absorber gets kinda loud. I was just wondering if the bushing would help gimme a quieter ride? If so, where do I get one? I am based in Sarawak btw. :)

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
Freedom_Blue said:
Skywalker i think urs is the stearing rack mounting.I had the same problem wz my iswara last time.Now when i go on humps its making iiioook iiiook sound.When i go on a sharp hump it sound like going to come out.Could it be absobers or something else
oo.... how much to change that??.... wallet bleeding again....

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
astalavista_baby said:
Since this topic talks about bush, hmm, I was just wondering, I am driving a Suzuki Swift and I find the ride kinda noisy especially when the absorbers are doing their work. When I go through bumps, the absorber gets kinda loud. I was just wondering if the bushing would help gimme a quieter ride? If so, where do I get one? I am based in Sarawak btw. :)

i think ppl normally change the bushing in sets, considering the labor can cost more that the bushing itself. It least that was what my mechanic adviced me the other day.......oso said that the replacement of bushing can last abt 10-15 years...again depends on the driving style lor...

Fluffy

3,000 RPM
May 1, 2005
>>klang<<
sky : u shud let a experienced mech check out ur steering rack..coz hopefullly that's not the prob...coz if it is..habis.i tarak duit wanna change mine..:_:

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
Fluffy said:
sky : u shud let a experienced mech check out ur steering rack..coz hopefullly that's not the prob...coz if it is..habis.i tarak duit wanna change mine..:_:
i told the mech about the noise and ask him to try but he said cannot hear any noise... hmm, mayb that time problem was minor... now the sound getting louder and louder... gonna get it checked....

Fluffy

3,000 RPM
May 1, 2005
>>klang<<
louder and louder?aikz.but if ur steering doesnt feel lose of shakey then i think u can rule out ur steering rack.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Fluffy,

My car's steering wheel is not shakey-shakey, but got a lot of free play. Why ar? izit becoz of worn bushing?

astalavista_baby

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
ken yeang said:
i think ppl normally change the bushing in sets, considering the labor can cost more that the bushing itself. It least that was what my mechanic adviced me the other day.......oso said that the replacement of bushing can last abt 10-15 years...again depends on the driving style lor...
Right, but I would like to know if it makes any difference in my ride noise and also how much will it cost me to change in sets(inclusive of labour charges)? :)

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
Fluffy said:
louder and louder?aikz.but if ur steering doesnt feel lose of shakey then i think u can rule out ur steering rack.
nope... no feeling lose or shakey... i guess jz some worn out bush lar... hopefully not steering rack problem... if not wallet bleeding....

ntahapahapantah

Known Member
Jun 30, 2004
ken yeang said:
Fluffy,

My car's steering wheel is not shakey-shakey, but got a lot of free play. Why ar? izit becoz of worn bushing?
a lot of free play mean ur steering cushion koyak already. My friend used to had this problem. Go buy this cushion at spare part shop for rm5/cushion (saga price) u need 2 cushions n its located at steering rack. u can DIY or send to mechanic for labor cost about rm10-15.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
ntahapahapantah said:
a lot of free play mean ur steering cushion koyak already. My friend used to had this problem. Go buy this cushion at spare part shop for rm5/cushion (saga price) u need 2 cushions n its located at steering rack. u can DIY or send to mechanic for labor cost about rm10-15.

Uish!?? what's a steering cushion? I went to ask my mechenic and he said he donno le.......Can anyone tell me what is a steering cushion? izit the bushing becoz bushing is also another form of cushion, right?

'[00] TRD

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
wats rubber bushes anyway? one thing im sure is that i got the same problem too.. whenever i started my car, n turn my steerin wheel while cruisin slowly, the squeeky noise will be very loud! super irritating,anyone wats the problem im encountering here?