Need some info about brake pads

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So dot 4 dry boiling point is 230 and wet is 155, so can quite easily boil up when braking downhill....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I'm using Bendix dot5.1 for the last 2 years now, noticeable improvement over regular Bosch dot4 especially downhill Genting.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I'm using Bendix dot5.1 for the last 2 years now, noticeable improvement over regular Bosch dot4 especially downhill Genting.
How much and where do you buy yours? I need a regular supply. I occasionally get the Ferodo one but my supplier doesn't bring it in that often.

y2188

Known Member
Jan 4, 2016
Petaling Jaya
Yup, spongy or even no brakes, pedal can just go down.....

Track different leh because braking hard, and only got one or two straights only, others all corners.....hahhahahha
Haha i always wonder that after extensive use of brakes, on a straight how much would the ventilated vents cool the brakes rotor down :rofl:

Pedal feel is instantly different, like suddenly you need to press more to get the same amount of braking. And easier to fade. Very scary experience, will make you drive slower instantly. And gearbox overheated too that day.

:biggrin:

When brake fluid boils, it boils the water in the mixture and introduces pockets of air, which in turns makes pedal feel crappy and spongy. Your brakes just aren't the same after that.
I totally understand it now...because my mom's first gen myvi always tend to have this feeling after few hard stops hahahahah

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I totally understand it now...because my mom's first gen myvi always tend to have this feeling after few hard stops hahahahah
Myvi is due to a other things I suspect. Expanding brake hoses, flexing firewall, shitty brake pads, etc. I have 2 of these monstrosities at home both 1.3L so I know what you're referring to

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
How much and where do you buy yours? I need a regular supply. I occasionally get the Ferodo one but my supplier doesn't bring it in that often.
What Difference in price against dot 4?
What's the price bro?
Last time I got it for rm25/500ml bottle, previously about rm20 or 21. I bought it at a part shop in Ampang Point, just next to HSBC bank, but I bought their last stock of 2 bottles like over a year ago and since then I've never seen them restock again. Not sure if can order again thru them.

hitz

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Kepong, KL
Did you change your brake pump when you use Bendix Dot5? I thought our X can use Dot 4 brake fluid only. :driver:

y2188

Known Member
Jan 4, 2016
Petaling Jaya
Myvi is due to a other things I suspect. Expanding brake hoses, flexing firewall, shitty brake pads, etc. I have 2 of these monstrosities at home both 1.3L so I know what you're referring to
Yeap, exactly not to mention you have to press the pedal alot to feel the bite. The ori pads is good enough for stop and go traffic only imho, slightly more aggressive then it will start to fade.... :thefinger:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Did you change your brake pump when you use Bendix Dot5? I thought our X can use Dot 4 brake fluid only. :driver:
Nope, just flush and change. Dot 4 is minimum requirement for our car, doesn't mean it cannot use higher which is dot 5.1.
It's dot 5.1 btw not dot 5, those 2 are different and you cannot use dot 5.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Last time I got it for rm25/500ml bottle, previously about rm20 or 21. I bought it at a part shop in Ampang Point, just next to HSBC bank, but I bought their last stock of 2 bottles like over a year ago and since then I've never seen them restock again. Not sure if can order again thru them.
Probably less users so they sell back dot 4

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Not dot 5 but dot 5.1. Best to flush the whole system and no need change the brake pump if still in working condition.
Dot 5 is silicone base fluid, so if want to use seems you need to change all the rubber seals...

hitz

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Kepong, KL
Nope, just flush and change. Dot 4 is minimum requirement for our car, doesn't mean it cannot use higher which is dot 5.1.
It's dot 5.1 btw not dot 5, those 2 are different and you cannot use dot 5.
Not dot 5 but dot 5.1. Best to flush the whole system and no need change the brake pump if still in working condition.
Dot 5 is silicone base fluid, so if want to use seems you need to change all the rubber seals...
I see, ok next service will flush and change to Dot 5.1 also. Thank.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

brothers..

in need of help..sifus...i wan to install a piggyback...e-manage probably...wanna remove the limiter...one thing i wanna ask..can a 4G18 internals withstand/tahan the high revving..cos now..i noticed the rev cut is at bout 4k++...

thnx guys
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience