Discussion: what makes a vehicle fun to drive?

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
Why light weight? I thot heavy car more stable and planted. Light weight will give better accelaration though.:confused:
heavy stable but not planted...its the inertia..at zero speed it its planted...but gain any movement, it will have larger inertia thus slower to accelerate
or stop or change direction...and you feel more stable..

Heavy is only good for cruising on straights. The heavy weight will make it slower to accelerate, longer to stop, and more sluggish to change directions, plus it increases fuel consumption. Basically weight is the enemy of performance.
GTR? the 1800kg theory...can't understand that..lol

RX-7 FD3S is light? Kidding right. Then Lotus Elise must be feather weight and Caterhams are weightless :P
if if RX7 heavy...EVO can be considered superheavyweight...GTR sumo wrestler...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
ixeo : FD not light meh? Relative compared to other cars in the same category la. Ok ok.. Honda Integra DC2 then! Transplant B18R and wooooooosh

keeltha

Known Member
Jan 13, 2011
Selangor
GTR? the 1800kg theory...can't understand that..lol
Because they are not conti supercar... :tongue:
Because of its weight, GTR need more frequent, wear and tear maintainance than their main rival Porsche 2-3 times more...

Yeah the GTR is a technological marvel, it's like defying the laws of physics, simply an exceptional car!
Thats exactly their intention, I remember I watched a interview on GTR designer.

They know they can never get a same treat like conti supercar (Ferrari, Lambo, Porchy etc) in consumer eyes, even they have the skills to produce 1...

So in marketing prospect they throw a lovely challenge letter to conti... to make a supercar that everybody can buy (not only very rich people can affort), can drive (no need to be so tense all the time when driving it) that without follow the old conti supercar concept (MR, light weight, etc)...

Hell yeah... they did it... Yes! They DID IT !!

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Because they are not conti supercar... :tongue:
Because of its weight, GTR need more frequent, wear and tear maintainance than their main rival Porsche 2-3 times more...

Thats exactly their intention, I remember I watched a interview on GTR designer.

They know they can never get a same treat like conti supercar (Ferrari, Lambo, Porchy etc) in consumer eyes, even they have the skills to produce 1...

So in marketing prospect they throw a lovely challenge letter to conti... to make a supercar that everybody can buy (not only very rich people can affort), can drive (no need to be so tense all the time when driving it) that without follow the old conti supercar concept (MR, light weight, etc)...

Hell yeah... they did it... Yes! They DID IT !!
Unfortunately in Malaysia and other South East Asia countries due to the crazy taxes/duties imposed, the GTR is still for the rich only! :(

2.0turbo

Known Member
May 9, 2004
Fun to drive is a subjective measure—an elusive quality that can mean different things to different people. From our experience, a car can have a very powerful engine and accelerate quickly, but without handling agility, it's not much fun. For us, fun is a combination of factors such as handling response, sound, and the nature of the power delivery that lead to grin-inducing satisfaction.

The above is copy & paste from careport.org

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Frankly speaking, I feel its only a few Manufacturers in the world that can consistently deliver cars that are fun to drive.

Among them I can identify 2...
Anything with the Type R badge.
Anything made by Lotus.

keeltha

Known Member
Jan 13, 2011
Selangor
Frankly speaking, I feel its only a few Manufacturers in the world that can consistently deliver cars that are fun to drive.

Anything made by Lotus.
Look like u have good experience with this 2, mind to elaborate why u feel they are fun ?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Anything made by Lotus.
Well Honda actually makes many boring cars too IMHO. :) Type-Rs along with NSX & S2000 are ok but the rest, not so much fun I think.
Lotus though I agree coz it's their goal all along to make great lightweight sports car.

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Look like u have good experience with this 2, mind to elaborate why u feel they are fun ?
My experience with Lotus was limited to passenger seat, in Elise S1 & S2, the way that thing grips around a corner is unreal. Don't need to be in the driver's seat when you're stuck to your own passenger seat around a corner.

Type R was a EK9, VTECCCCCC. Also had handling on rails. I'm not a pro driver or anything, brake, slow down & downshift, take the corner, blip the throttle gently.. and when you're exiting the corner gradually full throttle..and it always finds itself in the sweet spot.. of VTEC..it wasn't super powerful like an instant kick in the balls like turbo (EVO 8 for reference), but the matching of the VTEC while exiting the corner was fun.

I have yet to come across anybody saying these two makes are boring and dull...

2.0turbo

Known Member
May 9, 2004
My experience with Lotus was limited to passenger seat, in Elise S1 & S2, the way that thing grips around a corner is unreal. Don't need to be in the driver's seat when you're stuck to your own passenger seat around a corner.

Type R was a EK9, VTECCCCCC. Also had handling on rails. I'm not a pro driver or anything, brake, slow down & downshift, take the corner, blip the throttle gently.. and when you're exiting the corner gradually full throttle..and it always finds itself in the sweet spot.. of VTEC..it wasn't super powerful like an instant kick in the balls like turbo (EVO 8 for reference), but the matching of the VTEC while exiting the corner was fun.

I have yet to come across anybody saying these two makes are boring and dull...
Wow! U very experienced ah! Sitting in Lotus is a real treat. I read somewhere Citroen zx also corner on rails. But I not sure what it means.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Citroen ZX corners? That's if the hydraulics don't break first.

Ixeo : Rs are not dull or boring that's for sure. But I think it's a personal opinion whether they are great. I mean, I've driven the FC, FD, a 316Ti with a 3L BMW engine, etc and the one that always makes me want one is the FD (twin turbo variant). I'm fond of the DC2 and the EK but ultimately (for me) they were just good cars, not great. I've never sat in a Supra before but having tried to follow one in a IS200 it was bloody awesome to see it dissapear from my passanger view even though the IS200 was already maxed out. I'll bet it'll be a damn interesting drive too. But that's all my personal opinion. Not saying your choice of cars are bad, they're great. Just not as great as the FD I'm so obssessed about, personally speaking of course.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Its not fun to drive... it's just cheap... distinct difference there...
Couldn't agree more on this. Myvi lots of the road definitely is not cuz it is fun to drive. Just lots youngsters are having too much imagination when driving one. Speed at 180 in that car...:afraid:

Anything made by Lotus.
What about Ford? Ford Focus RS is also known as one of the best FWD. Some reviews comparing the cars with others, it seems it is chosen as the fun to drive car.

Citroen ZX corners? That's if the hydraulics don't break first.

Ixeo : Rs are not dull or boring that's for sure. But I think it's a personal opinion whether they are great. I mean, I've driven the FC, FD, a 316Ti with a 3L BMW engine, etc and the one that always makes me want one is the FD (twin turbo variant). I'm fond of the DC2 and the EK but ultimately (for me) they were just good cars, not great. I've never sat in a Supra before but having tried to follow one in a IS200 it was bloody awesome to see it dissapear from my passanger view even though the IS200 was already maxed out. I'll bet it'll be a damn interesting drive too. But that's all my personal opinion. Not saying your choice of cars are bad, they're great. Just not as great as the FD I'm so obssessed about, personally speaking of course.
So far really never seen BH's Supra on the streets before other than roadshows.
I have only seen one Top Secret Gold Supra in KL. Nicely done and well maintained on the exterior.

Only got a ride in RX-7 once, it was fun even though im only in the passenger seats drifting along.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Your car ah??

Since Kent selling buy his la....wait what time for you to learn to drive MT since you don't know how
Might as well convert to manual instead a cheaper option than buying his blm.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi everybody
After i bought my new car, i start to learn how to detail it, at 1st i only learn how to clean and also maintaine it, now i think is time for me to learn more on correction part, it take me some time to save money to buy a Makita 9227c rotary from KC, before started i also get some advise from Sifu Seech and also Sife KC, i have the opportunity to meet them both when they come to penang. Sifr KC also demonstrate in front of me how to use the rotary. I think is time for me to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience