AEM V2 Intake - DIY & Review

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
further_seems_forever.blogspot.com
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share my experience installing the AEM V2 intake I recently got from Singapore.

The science behind air intakes:

1. For low-mid torque increase, you want a longer intake tube with smaller diameter.
2. For top end horsepower, you want a shorter tube with bigger piping diameter.

The AEM V2 intake gives the best of both world's with a dual sized pipe. The front end (air filter end) is larger in diameter for better air flow, while the tail end (throttle body end) is smaller in diameter and longer to provide more pressure.

Combining the 2, you have an intake that increases low-mid range torque, while giving maximum air-flow at the top end. :cool:

YouTube- AEM V2 Intake Review on Acura RSX Type-S

I bought mine used from Sillypore for SGD180 (~RM430). My buddy was traveling to Singapore over the weekend, so I got him to pick it up for me.

Package arrived in good condition on Sunday night. Seller was nice enough to pack it up in a box filled with newspaper so the intake wasn't damaged by our very own Air Asia luggage crew.

The only downside was that the seller forgot to include all the spacers and nuts needed to lock down the intake. :eek:

But no worries, from my experience in the US, we could always ghetto rig the damn thing to fit...

The air filter is an AEM Dryflow air filter that doesn't need oiling (easier to clean compared to K&N which needs the oiling kit after being washed).

Since mine was 2nd hand, it came rather dirty. So I did some research online and decided to wash it before installing.

AEM recommends to use their AEM Filter Cleaner kit, but from my readings, regular soap and water is good enough. So seeing as I've already burst my budget for the month... I filled a pail of water and dumped in some floor cleaning detergent and washed the heck out of the filter.

After a few washes all the gunk came off the filter... but it wasn't entirely clean.
NOTE: Will try the AEM cleaner kit for future washes.

These past few days its been quite gloomy, and since I'm at work the whole day I didn't want to leave the filter out in the sun in case it rained. The damn thing took more than 24 hours to dry.

I recommend doing the washing over the weekend so you can leave it out in the sun for it to dry.... If not... you can always use the oven to "bake" the filter at 150 degrees Fahrenheit for roughly 15 minutes and it'll dry right up. (Ghetto style from the US haha... :biggrin: )

So after it dried up... I headed over to my friend "GHETTO CHEK's" place to get the damn thing rigged up at 10pm at night.

I read some comments online that the installation took 3-hours.
"Pfftttt... who the hell needs 3 hours to install a damn intake"...

OK...I admit...It took us 1.5 hours to get it installed when I thought 30 minutes was good enough...

We started at 10pm and got done at about 11.30pm...

The easy part was removing the stock airbox... but everything went downhill from there.

A few things to note when buying and installing the AEM V2:

1. Make sure you have all the spacers and nuts for the intake to lock onto the body. We had to use nuts and bolts of different sizes just to get a correct fit. And even then it wasn't perfect.

2. The hoses are a bitch to take off because they harden. So getting the nozzle out of the idle hose was one of the hardest parts. In the end we decided to cut an entirely new hose from one of my friend's old intakes.

3. Fitment is rather tricky because the AEM V2 sits DIRECTLY above the gearbox shift linkage. You don't want it touching that and causing problems in the future.

4. The AEM V2 is a tight fit (probably because of my alarm horn)..and everything has to line up perfectly in order for it to not touch anything.

5. Locking down the intake is a bitch with the stock No.10 nut. We dropped it a few times and lucky for us it didn't end up somewhere in the engine bay (fell straight onto the ground..phew).

So all in all...with teamwork, elbow grease and 20+ blisters...we got it installed.

The AEM V2 looks grrreat in the engine bay!
With its brushed metallic finish... it compliments the red of the Type R engine cover. Thinking of removing the fuel rail shield (the part with the I-vtec DOHC etched on it)

We needed to relocate my alarm horn because it was in the way... so we ghetto rigged that thing again.
Cable Ties are your best friend!

Initial feedback:

I could INSTANTLY feel a difference upon my first drive.

My friend lives in Cheras and I stay in section 17, PJ... so I had a good long pull on the Cheras highway and also on the federal.
The intake sound is AMAZING.... and EPIC in Vtec...

This is the first time I could feel a difference in power from just changing an intake.
In the past I've tried dozens of air filters (on other cars)... from Apex'i to K&N to HKS... but nothing compares to what I felt yesterday on the drive home...

I'm still shaking from the Vtec noise... and as I write this at work... I'm aching to take her out for a spin again tonight...

Hope this was entertaining... and I definitely recommend the AEM V2 intake to those of you looking for an upgrade! :burnout:

"VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO!"

Last edited:

subcon

1,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2005
Turn 5
eh please la. ur car roars louder than mine. :adore:
well its loud but painful kind of loud? err u get my drift??

anyway i've sold DC5R and my current car so senyap one. i can't mod the car yet because i dun want to void the warranty.

but it's amazing just by changing the filter you can feel a significant increase in power!! good for you. another reason for dyno perhaps?? :biggrin:

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
U gotta try this setup with a super90 70mm TB + RRC and get a intake manifold thermal gasket!! :nurse: :biggrin:
no moolah la...

i found this from a recent Hondata conference in the US:

Hondata added almost 20 hp on top, AEM CAI another 10, Greddy catback added a bit, ITR cams another 15 hp. Raceheaders from Comptech added yet another 15 up to almost 230. - Tuning an RSX Type-S

The surprising thing is that on the DC5, the most restrictive part is not the exhaust (like most other sports cars)... its actually the Intake... Changing the intake can easily make at least 10whp...

This is epic... I'm looking to hit 230whp with the AEM intake + Comptech/whatever good headers I can find + Fujitsubo RM01A catback + Hondata tuning...

Shouldn't be an issue... :biggrin:

But anyways... I'm actually quite keen to dyno the car since I already have my baseline dyno done. :biggrin:

On a seperate note:

http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/f27/rsx-aem-v2-review-45654/

check this out. a review of the AEM V2 intake on an RSX Type-S.

i love this part...and its very similar to my experience: :burnout:

"I've heard that the V2 was loud but wow, when you floor the pedal at 3k - 4k rpm... its a nice low rumbling sound... at 5-6k its a louder roar... and after 6k rpms wow it just goes NUTS! i mean this thing was echoing off the freeway walls and i was loving every moment."

Last edited:

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
:adore: RM 430 for whole set AEM V2?
yup. 2nd hand. i know someone else on the singapore integra forum selling for S$150. Good price. but i think he mentioned the filter needs to be changed.

ENEOS sells AEM air filters...and i'm pretty sure they can bring in the V2 intake if you're interested in a brand new one. Not sure how much that will cost though. i'm thinking it'll be around RM800 ~ RM1000.

lazybass

Known Member
Jan 31, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
increase 10 hp just for AEM v2, i think it's worth. hehe. Anyway, do we need to re-tune after change to AEM v2 intake?.

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
increase 10 hp just for AEM v2, i think it's worth. hehe. Anyway, do we need to re-tune after change to AEM v2 intake?.
just unplug your battery while you're installing the intake to reset your ECU... it'll "adjust" itself to the new airflow faster that way and you wont have rough idling for the 1st few start ups...

hondata is recommended to smoothen out and widen your powerband. but only after you've done all ur i/h/e mods...

with hondata tuning...you'll optimize all your mods and get the most out of each. but its expensive to tune...thats why wait till you've gotten all the mods done before getting hondata.

according to hondata.... K20A runs very rich in Vtec... that would explain why by changing your air filter to an open pod... you'll suck more air during Vtec...making combustion more complete....generating more power...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Boss..wanna know if aircon receiver spoilt/the switch which control the rpm ( usually on top of the receiver ) spolt means what happen ???I've been having this problem recently and it's soo sickening.The rpm will be soo inconsistant and it effect the temp too.I brought it to a/con shop n that fella change the switch ( 2nd hand ..new one is pretty costly ).The next day the same problem happened.I'm feeling sick as the car is sooo inferior to drive !!Whenehev I stop ( eg traffic light ) the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience