20V Standalone or Piggy for Highcams?

EG9

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Subang Jaya
Very interesting and useful topic.
In this case, go for standalone unit instead of piggy back.
Reason:
1. Your cam spec maybe require fuel and ignition mapping tuning that go beyond the piggy back ecu capability to compensate it. (in order to harvest the max capability)
2. Piggy back only alter the signal from your AFM or MAP sensor in order to provide the correct fueling and ignition. It still read the existing mapping on the stock ecu....(google it and you'll know how it work)

Standalone ecu is tuner dependent. It's not about ECU brand but of coz premium ecu provide better capability for tuner to work around.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Another thing, remember to dial you cam after the installation.
Power output is totally different if you dial the cam properly.
for your cam just dial: intake 110 degree, ex: 110 degree
it's easy to dial the cam but you need need the right tools to do it properly.

Last edited:

blanquito

Known Member
Mar 27, 2007
Very interesting and useful topic.
In this case, go for standalone unit instead of piggy back.
Reason:
1. Your cam spec maybe require fuel and ignition mapping tuning that go beyond the piggy back ecu capability to compensate it. (in order to harvest the max capability)
2. Piggy back only alter the signal from your AFM or MAP sensor in order to provide the correct fueling and ignition. It still read the existing mapping on the stock ecu....(google it and you'll know how it work)

Standalone ecu is tuner dependent. It's not about ECU brand but of coz premium ecu provide better capability for tuner to work around.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Another thing, remember to dial you cam after the installation.
Power output is totally different if you dial the cam properly.
for your cam just dial: intake 110 degree, ex: 110 degree
it's easy to dial the cam but you need need the right tools to do it properly.
Hie Derrick ...

met you before ... anyway ... thing is ... cam installation in one place and tuning of ECU at another ...
Just wonder if I can still drive after the cam setting but using Standard ECU ...
As of the standalone part ... I understand much more than before ... only now ... gotta check out the offer ... and let mech see my car 1st ...

very useful advise I am getting from this thread

Thank you very much to all SIFU ! ...

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Cam card says ...

4 throttle ... 288deg ... best is at 100 to 105 deg

should I follow 110 deg ? ...

blanquito

Known Member
Mar 27, 2007
how about degree setting for this cam profile
IN 288 lift 9.2
out 277 lift 9.0

any :idea:
Singlethrottle only up to 272 ... 108~115deg
4 throttle from 288 onwards ... 100~105deg

I can post my cam card later tonight ... gotta go to work ...

Lift is not mentioned ...

EG9

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Subang Jaya
Hie Derrick ...

met you before ... anyway ... thing is ... cam installation in one place and tuning of ECU at another ...
Just wonder if I can still drive after the cam setting but using Standard ECU ...
As of the standalone part ... I understand much more than before ... only now ... gotta check out the offer ... and let mech see my car 1st ...

very useful advise I am getting from this thread

Thank you very much to all SIFU ! ...

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Cam card says ...

4 throttle ... 288deg ... best is at 100 to 105 deg

should I follow 110 deg ? ...
You can dial according the cam card and see what kind of respond and power that you get.
I did that before but 110/110 degree still provide better respond and power band that I want for cam above 272 degree.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Anyway, I'm not Derrick... :)

EG9

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Subang Jaya
110/125 ??? are you sure. How are you going to lock and align your timing with the 125 degree?????
I just done my cam dial for 20v. best respond is 108/110....
it's depend on the cam degree anyway. refer to your cam chart.

1JZtezza

Known Member
Sep 26, 2008
Also depends on accurate shimming and lift.
:adore::adore: respect you guys who have tried different cams(duration and lifts)

272 and above would need probably a 4-1 rather than a 4-2-1 extractor

More so if you have dynoed;recorded and logged the differences in performance with different cams.

Care to share??.....just for interest ( anyways without the fuel map and tuning ..wont be much use)

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
got my reading finally.. thanks for googles..

kinda weird..115 /107.. hahaha..

Last edited:

km_chew

Known Member
Aug 10, 2004
Penang
110/125 ??? are you sure. How are you going to lock and align your timing with the 125 degree?????
I just done my cam dial for 20v. best respond is 108/110....
it's depend on the cam degree anyway. refer to your cam chart.

Cam chart say one ... Not i say la ..

n0th1n

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
japan
junk-dealer.blogspot.com
i want a standalone. what i need to buy?
everyday drives my car.
20v.
intended to run 1.2bar, low compression
440cc injector (dont know low impedence or high)
methanol.
original blacktop cams
please advice sifu2 sekalian thanks

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Looking for camcard for Toda 272in 288ex both 8.5mm lift for 20v.
Thanks!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hello friends! :wavey:

Kavin, my buddy, wanted to have a glimpse of a show-car finish on his modified Toyota EE100. He’s addicted to cars, road trips and started to like detailing too. He wanted to experience the joy of a DIY paint correction. He called me and we planned to do it during the school holidays as I would be free but every time the same got postponed. We finally tackled the bonnet on his very nice ride before school resumption. It was invaded by orange peel and common defects...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience