Common 4AGZE problems ONLY (let's share them here)

Master D

Known Member
Nov 26, 2004
KL/JB
Visit site
I have intemitten problems with reversing, the gear usually wont engage on the first try....maybe 6/10 will fail.

Agree that the big pulley is a problem....I blew my SC unit as well.

If your car knocks in the afternoons...and you are using High Octane fuel to try fix the problem which still persists...try checking your plugs...I had mine changed and the problem went away.

I too have the idling problem....planning to get throttle body cleaned soon.

so far I've gone through 3 pairs of drive shafts in the 4 years i have had my GZE....thats bad....and its a killer trying to find replacements....

TRDae92

1,000 RPM
Mar 24, 2005
Malaysia....
www.cardomain.com
Master D, u change 3 pair already kah, i only change one pair since i found out the car equip with gze engine also the g'box, cannot lower one lar.... the long drive shaft one is totally different with normal 4A drive shaft....

The gze g'box actually got LSD and the gear oil prefer Penzoil or toyota original LSD gear oil.

I still having 16v head include with throttle body, fuel rail and even the intercooler also....top parts lar...;)

leviathan

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
selangor
Visit site
Vpower expensive wei.... somemore after price hike... cry everytime i fill petrol... gotta buy a daily drive car alraedy...

can't comment on driveshaft.... so far FR no problems...

throttle body cleaning... maybe i should try :)

dell_zidane

May 6, 2005
Summary of issues i have got eversince I bought my gze

eversince I got my Gze installed, I was so thrilled that the engine was so powerful compared to my old mazda that I've sold.
(bought GZE for RM3k -with LSD - no flow sensor - low mileage (70k km) -

and after 1 and a half year ( I didn't lanyak the car) came the problems.

1. D-shaft started to make funny sounds

2. Later,the Lower arms joined the band of loud noise.

3. The supercharger bearing started to wear out and giving loud unwanted sound when engaged

4. gear CLutch - the spring type for GZE clutch is cool to have on but when the problem comes u will know u need to have 20v (4AGE) clutch better.GZE spring clutch tends to wear out faster tho it's more smoother and engage better.From my experience the best to fit in my 4agze is by taking 4AGE's clutch in.I dont know about you guys , but it works well for me.

5. Reverse problems.-GB is good, Oil is premium one, still haunted by the myth of 4AGZE ( LSD GB 4AGZE is like that when reverse mode)

All in all , these are the common issue that I have with my GZE and I'm still trying to fix my reverse , and yes my D-shaft!!

TRDae92

1,000 RPM
Mar 24, 2005
Malaysia....
www.cardomain.com
Dell Zidane, well, read from ur message, hmmm, u using the 4age clutch kah???? cos i dind't use, i just use the stock flywheel, stock clutch cover and clutch plate before la, and already change to exedy clutch cover and clutch plate, keep the stock flywheel. hmm..... at least better then stock one lor..... just correct me if i'm wrong ok.

The D-shaft got sound, what kinda reason the sound will comes out??? can tell me and share? anyway i been changing 2 pair drive shaft, esp for the longer one, cos lower the car before but will heard the krok krok sound. damn irritate lar..!!! wanna dump the whole car:p .

dell_zidane

May 6, 2005
Clutch and D-shaft issues

trd_ae92 said:
Dell Zidane, well, read from ur message, hmmm, u using the 4age clutch kah???? cos i dind't use, i just use the stock flywheel, stock clutch cover and clutch plate before la, and already change to exedy clutch cover and clutch plate, keep the stock flywheel. hmm..... at least better then stock one lor..... just correct me if i'm wrong ok.

The D-shaft got sound, what kinda reason the sound will comes out??? can tell me and share? anyway i been changing 2 pair drive shaft, esp for the longer one, cos lower the car before but will heard the krok krok sound. damn irritate lar..!!! wanna dump the whole car:p .

Trd92- well dude.. i keep all the stock where they belong..Only the CLutch Pedal I switched to 4AGE. my clutch plate Just changed to Exedy (spring core) but still not as good as the stock plate (damper and spring core) .the size is smaller by few mms from the stock.But I had to buy no other choice(er not enuff money).If u want cheap Clutch plate and Housing for 4AGZEs can ask me for the shop location.

My advice is Exedy clutch is no better than the stock tho it's easily available.If u have more to spend get TRD ones or other aftermarkets(i dunno)

With regard to D-shaft - yes .GZEs D-shaft are big and strong and so does the tOrque that its engine produces. Still the Stock D-shaft cannot take it for so long la..as u can ask any 4AGZE owners will come to this D-shaft issues. the main thing to do and I have learned is to customize the D-shaft , get some spares to keep and Never To LOWER the BODY!!!!!

I guess my comments may not be as good .maybe some GZE Sifoo can hop in and say few words abt this.

Last edited:

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
Comon GZE problem

shamburke said:
hi,

as for me the only problem i faced is the inner-head drive shaft... last time always kong after 6-9 months of usage....but after changing to 17" the problem seems to go away....now i thinking of wanting to change to 15".....

other than that everything is okay!!!! .....

cheers...
Hi Sham,

Dah lupa your ECU problem ke hehe...

FYI, ECU problem is not only happened to GZE, it happened to all old injection car.

I have repaired 6 unit of faulty GZE ECU, and successfully restored 5 unit's performance but one failed coz someone attempt to repaired it b4 and had damage the chip (sayang).

When ECU start to have problem, you will experience high fuel consumption, poor idling, black smoke, engine stall at hard brake, etc.

When the problem has become serious, your engine will no longer wake up liao.

The lucky thing is, most of the faulty ECU is repairable with the possibility of 100% performance restoration. So, never throw away your faulty ECU.

synchron

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Agree to what levin818 is saying.

Even a blown s/c, block, and head also dont throw.

Can savage parts from there.

TRDae92

1,000 RPM
Mar 24, 2005
Malaysia....
www.cardomain.com
ECU fault can be trace???

So, that's mean if the ecu when u open it and inner computer board look very very fresh and then also new, didn't got any component oil liking from it, can be check the ecu got faulty soon???.... thanks.

Also wanna ask did u guys ever change the fuel pump in the tank before???? does it matter to change it. The fuel pump is exactly same with the 4age one right??? not quiet sure cos dind't really ask ppls lar. all sifoooss... share share ok?

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
trd_ae92 said:
So, that's mean if the ecu when u open it and inner computer board look very very fresh and then also new, didn't got any component oil liking from it, can be check the ecu got faulty soon???.... thanks.
Hi trd_ae92,
Yes by visual inspection on the ECU board, we will be able to judge whether the ECU has a problem or not.

shamburke

2,000 RPM
Dec 9, 2003
Subang Jaya
Visit site
levin818 said:
Hi Sham,

Dah lupa your ECU problem ke hehe...

FYI, ECU problem is not only happened to GZE, it happened to all old injection car.

I have repaired 6 unit of faulty GZE ECU, and successfully restored 5 unit's performance but one failed coz someone attempt to repaired it b4 and had damage the chip (sayang).

When ECU start to have problem, you will experience high fuel consumption, poor idling, black smoke, engine stall at hard brake, etc.

When the problem has become serious, your engine will no longer wake up liao.

The lucky thing is, most of the faulty ECU is repairable with the possibility of 100% performance restoration. So, never throw away your faulty ECU.

ya lor!!!!

sifu wong...me forgot la......tua oredi...ppl still don't believe....

yes thanks to the sifu wong touch... my ECU has been repaired for some faulty .. don't know what lar... after repair better response......lupa ....that's what i like this toyota forum... the sifu even younger than me... have a lot of knowledge and tha best part is that they didn't mind to share even then i am new to the forum...kudos and cheers to you all....

cheers...

cheers...

trueno101

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
KL-PD-Melaka
waaa... so many sifus in here... good to have SC thread...
mine got the d/shaft problem only, think wanna recond it back...

speedcrave

Known Member
Feb 20, 2004
Klang
dell_zidane said:
Trd92- well dude.. i keep all the stock where they belong..Only the CLutch Pedal I switched to 4AGE. my clutch plate Just changed to Exedy (spring core) but still not as good as the stock plate (damper and spring core) .the size is smaller by few mms from the stock.But I had to buy no other choice(er not enuff money).If u want cheap Clutch plate and Housing for 4AGZEs can ask me for the shop location.
got to thank dell_zidane for this as he help me find the clutch cover even drove me to the shop in P.J. Many thanks dude!!!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello guys,
currently i'm using proton OEM dashboard with proton 1.6 meter panel..can i maintain my proton OEM dashboard meanwhile i install a mitsubishi meter panel,izzit possible to do that?thank you :biggrin:

cheers
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience