what does it takes to install a high cam?

93na

500 RPM
Mar 9, 2009
cash he he he!!!! no la u need at least the basic better exz system, air intake!!! p&p head, valve spring since u going to port save on workmanship....... that the beginning.... later clutch cause u will rev higher, remap or rechip on the ecu.......it all depand wat u expect from the cams! full used it power or to make ur ride sound better!!!!!!!!

Che.Det

Known Member
Jul 11, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
thnx, btw what is the diff... between billet cam and regrind??
does it produce the same result in term of performance and durability?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
u can install a set of aftermarket cams into a std engine, but u wudnt be gaining the maximum potential it can offer. i suggest u go step by step, starting with cams installation, and take baby steps (not reall,y lol) from there onwards.

a billet cams are cams dat are grounded from A PIECE / A BLOCK of metal, to the shape of a cam. regrind cams are cams dat regrounded to achieve the wanted setting, but i wudnt go for any regrind as ive seen regrounded cams not performing well. a regrounded cam wud lose much if its lift, which is bad imo. get a set of aftermarket cams instead. a billet cam is usually more durable

btw, what engine are u using now sir?

93na

500 RPM
Mar 9, 2009
Camshaft regrind - original camshaft will be regrind. Lepas regrind, lobe camshaft akan jadi lagi kecil dari standard. Rocker ratio akan diubah - itu beza dia.

Rocker ratio nih macam jongkang-jongkit - see-saw. kat tengah2 ada pivot. on the right side ada camshaft lobe. on the left side ada valve. kalau ubah pivot tu towards camshaft lobe, the opening of the valve will be bigger.

Kalau billet camshaft, rocker ratio tak perlu diubah. just plug and play. dia punya lobe pun visually nampak lagi besar dari regrind camshaft.

ada jugak yang weld dekat camshaft lepas tuh dia grind.

Mrnazmi

500 RPM
Jan 17, 2005
Drag City
Visit site
Better go for aftermarket cam (TOMEI, JUN, Duratech), better performance, easy jobs and also can sell back if dont want play car anymore..hehe! :driver:

Che.Det

Known Member
Jul 11, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
4g93p only, ohhh i see,
so the matspeed cam are not good la? or else?
beside that, i heard, after installing the cam, the air cond are not functioning as well, is that true? y?
what is the best degree of cam for street/daily use ? and air con must be functioning. hehehe~~

93na

500 RPM
Mar 9, 2009
93 na ah bro!!! he he he my fav engine!!! matspeed cams are ok! was using 288/288 last time on my putra 4g93! matspeed are the choose if u have low budjet! cause they are regrind if u have extra around 2500 and above then go for billet there lots of brand! rpw, billet, jun and so on! plus u have to know where u be fitting those cams are your tuner familiar wit that cams!

when it comes to idilling it all depand on tuner! when i was using matspeed cams i had no problem. cause the ecu has been tune also plus i had safc!

dont mind me askin is your engine standard! y high cams!........

Che.Det

Known Member
Jul 11, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
for now std only, but all of this information is for future mod hahahahha~~,

u have using 1 from matspeed? is it okay? and the aircond are still functioning?

aftermarket cams such as tomei and duratech if im not mistaken the cam degree are 300?
is that suitable for daily drive and street?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
4g93p only, ohhh i see,
so the matspeed cam are not good la? or else?
beside that, i heard, after installing the cam, the air cond are not functioning as well, is that true? y?
what is the best degree of cam for street/daily use ? and air con must be functioning. hehehe~~
iam not saying the matspeed cams arent good value for money, its just dat.. its less hassle and cheaper if u get an aftermarket set of cams. y cheaper? pm for details sir.. the best set for street application imo is the 272degree.

i dont understand y the aircond wudnt be functioning when installing a set of aftermarket cam, my customers have never complain about their aircond not functioning well, at least not yet..

93na

500 RPM
Mar 9, 2009
matspeed cams for 4g93 going for 1700 bro! jun and so on we takin bout 2500 to 2800..

yup evrything should be like normal! unless u go for 299 and above then it will mess wit idiling..

but if standard engine bro! i would say better look at other 1st then cams, portin head, better air flow, basically stage 1 la!!!! if we are talkin bout cams that would be stage 2 bro!!!

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
the way i remember about matspeed cams, u need to trade in ur old cams ke? it sounded like 1700 for the regrinding process jer, at least the last time i heard about them..

93na

500 RPM
Mar 9, 2009
yup pass ur standard cam to them! can get cheaper bro! they are ok la if budjet low! like now also i m in stalling billet cams!!!

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
dat was y i told its more expensive, if u r paying for an aftermarket set, at least u get a new set and be able to stash away ur old cams.

y do u need to change to a new set sir? what specification if i may ask..

93na

500 RPM
Mar 9, 2009
love the cam sound, doing my block, ecu and all so decided to plunk in the cams to la! if i m not mistaken is 288/ 288 lift 11.5 if i got it correct la!