Paramagnetic Paint : Change Colour As You Like

MeraBoy

Feb 6, 2007

One of the hardest decisions when picking a new car is choosing the right color but the day when cars will be available in multiple colors could be here sooner than you think. Scientists have developed a new coating called ‘paramagnetic’ paint that has the ability to change colors at the touch of a button. One carmaker looking into the technology is Nissan, which has already developed a self-healing paint.

Before the vehicle is painted, a special polymer containing the special ‘paramagnetic’ iron oxide particles is applied to the car’s body. An applied electric current then adjusts the spacing of small crystals within the iron oxide particles and therefore affects their ability to reflect light and change color.
The process is perfect for metal objects like cars because a continuous small current is needed to maintain the desired color. When the vehicle is switched off, the car returns to a default color of white.
The coating has the ability to reproduce any color visible to the human eye and it takes less than a second to change the entire car. The first commercial applications could be on the market as early as 2010.

Source:
Motor Authority
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://www.motorauthority.com/phpadsnew/adx.js"> </script> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"> <!-- if (!document.phpAds_used) document.phpAds_used = ','; phpAds_random = new String (Math.random()); phpAds_random = phpAds_random.substring(2,11); document.write ("<" + "script language='JavaScript' type='text/javascript' src=""); document.write ("http://www.motorauthority.com/phpadsnew/adjs.php?n=" + phpAds_random); document.write ("&what=zone:3"); document.write ("&exclude=" + document.phpAds_used); if (document.referrer) document.write ("&referer=" + escape(document.referrer)); document.write (""><" + "/script>"); //--> </script><script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://www.motorauthority.com/phpadsnew/adjs.php?n=784701387&what=zone:3&exclude=,&referer=http%3A//www.motorauthority.com/"></script><!-- FM Medium Rectangle Zone --> <script type="text/javascript"> var federated_media_section = ''; </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://static.fmpub.net/zone/855"></script> <!-- FM Medium Rectangle Zone -->
<noscript></noscript>

azlan87

Known Member
Sep 7, 2005
kajang,pj
last time u could oni c it in tv shows like in viper....
now it's real... can't believe it.. what's next our brilliant scientists????

man, i feel so old nowadays with all this new inventions

bien335

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2009
Johor Bahru
Dispatch: 10-4 10-4 Be on the lookout for a black sedan. No wait. A yellow sedan. Last spotted at Jalan Simpang Siur

Trooper: Copy that

Dispatch: Update, it is now a red sedan. I repeat a RED sedan.

Trooper: Copy that

Dispatch: Erm, attention, it is now a...... what colour is it now??

GAGAGAGAGGAGAGAG

rusifiz

Known Member
Nov 15, 2005
kl-sban
www.fgsn9.com
yup, I agree, last time I saw a car that can change color was in VIPER.. I thought it's ridiculous back at that time.. but now its coming true..

it going to be harder for the law enforcer later..
for the cops to nail down a car with specific color.. for the custom and RTD to put the real color in the grant.. hehehe

later.. cars that change color based on mood, the driver's mood that is.. hehehe...

skyancient

Known Member
Mar 10, 2005
if the driver horny... colour change alternately... from yellow, red, green,blue.. wat ever colour tat relate~!!! hahahahhaha

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
after they can change color, they might want to think of having changable strips, decals, etc.....

Just like computer desktop, can have theme....

MaRvyn

Known Member
Nov 9, 2007
www.vixiousworks.com
Hmm... Thought I heard that the Sultan of Brunei had one of this colour changing car a few years back... the problem is, you need to constantly polish it. Otherwise, there will be spots here and there... maybe due to the paint polymer contain... ??

LANE

Known Member
May 20, 2005
Cheras
dont hope this technology will be apply in our country ma , of course those JPJ will cut off ma ..

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
simple

cops/JPJ guys will say it's illegal.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

civic EH5 (local model)

just noticed my PS fluid are low and found out that my tie rod have leaks. what are possible solution?

p/s: i've replaced whole steering rack less than 2y ago

another question from pic below... do i need to replace bush? (outer tie rod)

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience