Choice of Project Car

CountersteerSan

Known Member
Feb 16, 2013
Johor
why no one mention corolla SEG? with BT 20v...though i think these are the lower cat compared to the ones like supra/skylines/evos...
I'm driving an AE101, but it is running on 4afe only. Wanted to swap BT but then decided to just scrap the plan and find a cheap FR layout track car, at least can alternate between drifting and abit of grip racing :driver:

YellowFlash

Known Member
Sep 28, 2009
Jb
I'm driving an AE101, but it is running on 4afe only. Wanted to swap BT but then decided to just scrap the plan and find a cheap FR layout track car, at least can alternate between drifting and abit of grip racing :driver:
ah...nice, thats a very reliable workhorse...so which FR layout car are you getting?

CountersteerSan

Known Member
Feb 16, 2013
Johor
ah...nice, thats a very reliable workhorse...so which FR layout car are you getting?
Don't know yet, needa see if I'm able to find cheap track cars. If can't find then I'll have to just wait and save up more $$$. It would be nice to find a cheap yet not so rusty/banged up S13/14 or 86..
What about you?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
A shame no one here likes rotaries. I for one would love a chance to disassemble a Rotary engine and mod it to be a 3-rotor, finally fitting it in a FC. FD would be a mistress for alternate days

ae101rulez

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
erm...
Hello guys, interested in ur project car topic. I have a old Toyota LE Ee80 Chasis only for someone to turn it to a project car. It currently has a 2e turbo in it. Able to take svt, bt or even 3s. Comes complete wiv Geran too if wanna make it daily. Selling without engine. Anyone interested? Can drop me a pm.

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
Some Altezza came with 1G-FE while some are using 3S-GE.
why no one mention corolla SEG? with BT 20v...though i think these are the lower cat compared to the ones like supra/skylines/evos...
Stock 4 cylinders is a little less "punch" or torque. So take off will be a little slower compares to 6 or 8 cylinders. Older Toyota & Honda engine lacks of HP and torque, has to keep high rpm 4K or even higher to get the power.

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

A shame no one here likes rotaries. I for one would love a chance to disassemble a Rotary engine and mod it to be a 3-rotor, finally fitting it in a FC. FD would be a mistress for alternate days
Who said no one ?? :confused:
I am one of the nut case :biggrin:
I think rotary engine is very unique. It needs a little more maintainance than "conventional" cylinder engine but I think it is not too bad at all. The GT series RX8 uses 20B built engine pushing out around 360 to 380 HP. Sounds amazing at high speed, with the sequential shift, almost like a motorcycle sound. I did see a 911 with 13B turbo in it :biggrin: Very cool swapped.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
And transplant 4A-GE into it? You must be a fan of 4A-GE since your avatar pic is a pic of 4A-GE, haha.

Lol, my name is based on the RENESIS 13B-MSP engine. I like rotaries too but I prefer the older 13B-REW in FD3S more than RENESIS. I like the rotary engine sound too. Very unique.

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
Don't know yet, needa see if I'm able to find cheap track cars. If can't find then I'll have to just wait and save up more $$$. It would be nice to find a cheap yet not so rusty/banged up S13/14 or 86..
What about you?
86 with 20V engine running individual injection throttle body, runs & sounds wicked. :driver:
4AFE is single cam. 4AGZE will be a nice upgrade with the supercharger.
S14 still high $$. I think S13 will be a great & inexpensive track car. Tons of aftermarket parts. SR20 is a good starting for S13. Just take care of brakes, tires & suspensions. It is good to go.

CountersteerSan

Known Member
Feb 16, 2013
Johor
S14 still high $$. I think S13 will be a great & inexpensive track car. Tons of aftermarket parts. SR20 is a good starting for S13. Just take care of brakes, tires & suspensions. It is good to go.
Yeah, same as what I was thinking about. Cheap track car, some light mod. Just shove off the extra weight, better brakes, tires and suspensions :driver:

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I guess ST has wider modding option compare to BT which is now as rare as RT. And I personally like the 4 throttle sound on ST.
Some people prefer the originality in and out but for track / race prepared car, money is the only limitation.
You can even cut the firewall and plonked in a 2JZ into the KE70 or same engine into an Altezza and custom the transfer case!
Maybe 3.9x final ratio for a drift session is fine.
Modding a car to be road legal does has it limitation due to JPJ rules but I have seen a Satria Neo with SR16VE N1. According to the owner, engine mounting location is identical but minor fabrication is required on the mounting itself.
Again, budget aside, its very much depend on modding objective. hp , torque or both? drift, time attack or drag? or as many young people put it nowadays : I want my car to be able to smoke most of the car on the road...lol!

Btw, my idea of a good project car is something legal and sane on weekend or touge ride while I still can have fun on track without being
too far behind. Nissan S1x series is fine but Altezza with 1.5J just fit the bill as I am leaning more towards FR or RR layout!
FF layout car does have it's limitation when it comes to torque. Just look at the wild torque feel of 1st generation Mazda MPS.
Even Ford RS has torque vectoring control. The fantastic torsion beam rear setting Megane RS is an exception because it has independent front steering Axis and mechanical LSD which makes her rides almost similar to FR layout!

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
Power to weight ratio is very important in building a good race car. A light weight race car with decent power is better than a more powerful but heavier car. Example, light weight like Lotus Elise & Exige and heavy weight like M5. Lighter weight car has the advantage in a long run on fuel consumption, tires wear, easier on brakes, better corner weight, etc. I have seen a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 has all 4 worned tires just a few laps in while the Miata last the whole day. The new Exige is quite perfect since they increase their power with supercharger.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I guess ST has wider modding option compare to BT which is now as rare as RT. And I personally like the 4 throttle sound on ST.
Some people prefer the originality in and out but for track / race prepared car, money is the only limitation.
You can even cut the firewall and plonked in a 2JZ into the KE70 or same engine into an Altezza and custom the transfer case!
Maybe 3.9x final ratio for a drift session is fine.
Modding a car to be road legal does has it limitation due to JPJ rules but I have seen a Satria Neo with SR16VE N1. According to the owner, engine mounting location is identical but minor fabrication is required on the mounting itself.
Again, budget aside, its very much depend on modding objective. hp , torque or both? drift, time attack or drag? or as many young people put it nowadays : I want my car to be able to smoke most of the car on the road...lol!

Btw, my idea of a good project car is something legal and sane on weekend or touge ride while I still can have fun on track without being
too far behind. Nissan S1x series is fine but Altezza with 1.5J just fit the bill as I am leaning more towards FR or RR layout!
FF layout car does have it's limitation when it comes to torque. Just look at the wild torque feel of 1st generation Mazda MPS.
Even Ford RS has torque vectoring control. The fantastic torsion beam rear setting Megane RS is an exception because it has independent front steering Axis and mechanical LSD which makes her rides almost similar to FR layout!
SRVE N1 in Malaysia? I dint know such a rare engine ended up here. I thought only 200 of those are produced.

YellowFlash

Known Member
Sep 28, 2009
Jb
What about you?
hmm...me? i am looking at below 40k range for something that i'd pay full in cash or 80-100k range which im going to need to take a loan. it will mainly be a weekend car which i can bring for occasional tracking. some of the cars may be

eg6, starlet gt, crx...maybe a seg? still saving the money for it though since im quite broke after my wedding and honeymoon recently..seems like lots more commitment coming up and it'd be hard to realise my dream.

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
SRVE N1 in Malaysia? I dint know such a rare engine ended up here. I thought only 200 of those are produced.
So far I have only seen them on an old Sentra and AD Resort, another one on Neo. All bought halfcut
only one comes complete with LSD. 2x opening. Intake and exhaust if I could recall.
Even the bigger SR20 is using SR16 top, much like those 2J with 1J top for better flow.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi Bros,

Ard 5months ago I installed a works engineering 5puck racing clutch. However driving for a while, I realise my gear 1 keeps getting tougher to engage as the days go by. I check with my mechanic he said its because of the clutch no good.

No offences to works engineering but I'd like to find out if any bros here face the similar problem??? Thanks!!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience