Proton Owners Pride

shawnzz

500 RPM
Sep 6, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Er.. this isn't entirely true. Honda City was one of the first 'affordable' cars to use the CVT gearbox in M'sia. Most of the time you'll only find CVT in 100k++ cars. Unfortunately for the 'affordable' range of cars, you get car owners who weren't willing to spend on much-more expensive CVT gear oil and then there were those idiotic mechanics who'd tell you "can la.. no problem one" and pour in some other type of oil into the CVT gearbox resulting in gearbox failure after a while.

CVT gearboxes are highly sensitive to the oil used and overheating isn't one of their main problems, it's ignorance. VW, Mitsu Lancer, Nissan all have been successfully using CVT without issues.

I don't know if you're being an ass or just being sarcastic.

If everyone could afford Astons and other luxury cars, we wouldn't have Proton and Perodua.

The saying is : If you have nothing better to say, say nothing at all.

Iszo. Dont think the cvt thing is related to owners unwilling to spend to cvt oils. Only 1st batch of honda city (2003 October batch) . Some of them have this problem because the service centers used wrong gb oil. They are not well informed/ trained by honda. Think of it this way.. if someone can afford a Rm80k car, they will mostly have a monthly income of a minimum 3.5k rite? . Im sure they can afford a bottle of cvt oil ? At that time also.. most consumer is also not exposed enough to cvt. Hence the whole "cvt problem crisis"

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Iszo. Dont think the cvt thing is related to owners unwilling to spend to cvt oils. Only 1st batch of honda city (2003 October batch) . Some of them have this problem because the service centers used wrong gb oil. They are not well informed/ trained by honda. Think of it this way.. if someone can afford a Rm80k car, they will mostly have a monthly income of a minimum 3.5k rite? . Im sure they can afford a bottle of cvt oil ? At that time also.. most consumer is also not exposed enough to cvt. Hence the whole "cvt problem crisis"
This is also due to experience mechanic that thinks their knowledge wins over design and science...

Had an experience putting my car(Satria 1.6 4G92 SOHC) in a workshop when I was a fresh driver... Then I was outstation for about a week. When I came back to collect my car, mechanic gave me a bill which includes Fuel top up. And he told me, car ran out of fuel and Need to top up for testing... When I drove my car, I can immediately realize there was a power drop... And there he goes... The red fuel... And the answer was... "Petrol are all the same.. Green fuel or red fuel don't differ much..."

Back to transmission... Everyone complain about 1.6 Auto gb have problems... Those whom I know having problem service with TQ.. At least me, a friend of mine, my brother, my cousin are using Diaond SP3. They didn't have problem with the Auto trans coming with the car until they sell the car... And I not until I convert to manual for the sake of turbocharging...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I don't know about service centers effing up the oil change, but I can guarantee you CVT oil costs is one of the main reasons for the ignorance. And let's not forget these days (even 10 years ago) 3500 is small. You buy a car, RM800 to RM1200 monthly installment, rent / buy a house RM1000, food, petrol, other expenses.. and RM3500 is gone.

CVT gear oil is almost 3 times as expensive as standard DIII oil.

shawnzz

500 RPM
Sep 6, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
I don't know about service centers effing up the oil change, but I can guarantee you CVT oil costs is one of the main reasons for the ignorance. And let's not forget these days (even 10 years ago) 3500 is small. You buy a car, RM800 to RM1200 monthly installment, rent / buy a house RM1000, food, petrol, other expenses.. and RM3500 is gone.

CVT gear oil is almost 3 times as expensive as standard DIII oil.
anyhow also, if u buy honda city. They give u free 3 years / 60,000km service mah.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
anyhow also, if u buy honda city. They give u free 3 years / 60,000km service mah.
If I'm not mistaken, it's not 3 years free service, it's free labour and warranty only right? You still need to pay for their oil and all? If it really is 3 years free labour, service and oil, then that's a pretty good deal!

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
You are spot on Izso:

1. Mechanic's ignorance;
2. Owner's ignorance.

This thing happens to Subaru and Hyundai too, as far as I know.

The days of owner 100% leaving it to the mechanic is over. You have to:

1. Have a fairly bit of knowledge on YOUR car;
2. SUPERVISE/monitor the maintenance/repair.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I second that. Nowadays we must not only get one service center for info. Must always do comparison and understand our car and situation well.

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
I had a chat with a salesman at MI Subaru PJ, and he told me how one customer claimed warranty for faulty gearbox. When checked, the MI mechanics found out that the gearbox oil used on the car was not the type that was recommended.

I know a lady owner of a new Hyundai car, sent her car for 'service' at a workshop which messed up the gearbox: also with the use of non-recommended oil. Also claimed warranty, which also failed, and ended up selling the 'new' car.

ALMOST all of the mechanics in our local workshops are poorly-educated, and poorly-updated especially in the use of new technologies. DSG? SMG? SST? Maybe all they know is the colour of the packaging or the colour of the oil itself: red, green, etc.

Logically, if they are not poorly-educated, they won't be troubling themselves to do hard labour for a living.

Remember Savvy's so-called notorious AMT gearbox? I'm sure Proton is kicking themselves for making the AMT available for such a market made up of small-income public. Because MOST of the buyers in the small-income are cheapskates: they cut costs. When they cut costs, they cut their own throats, but still able to scream that they're being victimised by Proton.

That's why I think Proton hesitated in making their turbo engine available early.

Think about it, you ask uncle auntie what they think of turbo engine, first thing they'll say is fuel consumption high. Hello, turbo engine RECYCLES EXHAUST air. But the Malaysian public PERCEPTION is so influential, even Proton had to counter it by making the name of their turbo engine synonymous with fuel efficiency: CFE.

A classic case of 1st world technology pwned by 3rd world mentality.

ghohz

Known Member
Nov 13, 2008
early buyers for proton new model is actually tikus makmal
for proton..cvt..cfe..blah blah blah..
my ofis mate exora boldwas heading back to its home(proton dealer) just about 4 days jln2 cari makan on the road..
n guess wat?5 same model was faced exactly the same problem in the same week..some kind of sensor faulty..well then..for some one who's brave enaf..can be the 1st buyer for diz
new preve..n i can gerenti u la..u will be the tikus makmal for proton..heh:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
my ofis mate exora boldwas heading back to its home(proton dealer) just about 4 days jln2 cari makan on the road..
n guess wat?5 same model was faced exactly the same problem in the same week..some kind of sensor faulty..well then..for some one who's brave enaf..can be the 1st buyer for diz
new preve..n i can gerenti u la..u will be the tikus makmal for proton..heh:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:
In the UK, there is a forum DEDICATED to DSG problem:

DSGwoes.co.uk - Index

so I guess 'early' DSG-equipped car owners are VW's 'tikus makmal'...

khencana

Known Member
Jul 31, 2008
Penang
yes, the correct words, "tikus makmal", same as (ass) my gen2, 2005 batch...

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
launching on 16th april...lets see how Proton gonna make it this time...hope they don screw up again......

ae101rulez

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
erm...
I had a chat with a salesman at MI Subaru PJ, and he told me how one customer claimed warranty for faulty gearbox. When checked, the MI mechanics found out that the gearbox oil used on the car was not the type that was recommended.

I know a lady owner of a new Hyundai car, sent her car for 'service' at a workshop which messed up the gearbox: also with the use of non-recommended oil. Also claimed warranty, which also failed, and ended up selling the 'new' car.

ALMOST all of the mechanics in our local workshops are poorly-educated, and poorly-updated especially in the use of new technologies. DSG? SMG? SST? Maybe all they know is the colour of the packaging or the colour of the oil itself: red, green, etc.

Logically, if they are not poorly-educated, they won't be troubling themselves to do hard labour for a living.

Remember Savvy's so-called notorious AMT gearbox? I'm sure Proton is kicking themselves for making the AMT available for such a market made up of small-income public. Because MOST of the buyers in the small-income are cheapskates: they cut costs. When they cut costs, they cut their own throats, but still able to scream that they're being victimised by Proton.

That's why I think Proton hesitated in making their turbo engine available early.

Think about it, you ask uncle auntie what they think of turbo engine, first thing they'll say is fuel consumption high. Hello, turbo engine RECYCLES EXHAUST air. But the Malaysian public PERCEPTION is so influential, even Proton had to counter it by making the name of their turbo engine synonymous with fuel efficiency: CFE.

This is so true on the 3rd world mentality. I know people who bought new Toyotas/Hondas/Protons/Peroduas but just chucked it out to pariah mechanics even not sending it for the 1k break in service. This is when the car gets screwed up badly then they complain that the car is a piece of shit :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:..ironic..

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com

who was the salesman at MI subaru? Paul ah?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i guys, i have been looking around for a ke70 with a 4age to be a play car and a learning car for a rwd platform. i have checkout a few Ke's with 4ag and most of them that are within the budget are in very very bad condition. i know it is suppose to be a play car but it has to be roadworthy and not be an aquarium and a rust bucket. i have seen some decent onces in standard form. looked around at few shops for the halfcut and it is pretty scarce now. granted it is as old as i am. so anyone...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience