SNF Round 5 Experience Report from me.

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
SNF (Saturday Night Fever) Race series round 5.

Date: 13th July 2011, (category 1.8L open)
Paid Adian the registration fee and I can't chicken out no more. This time going again with the same target. To finish in top 10 position and complete all 3 heats. However, my junk is making some clonking noise at the rear boot whenever I turn a bit harder in corners. Visual inspection shows everything is in good condition. No worn bushings, no loose bolts. Cornering feels ok. Sigh...
-
Date: 25th July 2011,
I've got me-self some cheap on-board DVR (digital video recorder). Hopefully can get some nice videos. It says 720pixels in High Definition. Wahlaoweh.. Total cost MYR240.00 with memory card. I have tested it on-road it seems acceptable.
Cheapo DVRs

-
Date: 26th July 2011,
Re-check the stuffs I will need during the event. Helmet, shoes, gloves, balaclava and of course some cash in hand.
Stuffs to get ready.

-
Date: 28th July 2011,
2 more days to go. Have up boost a little to 1.1bar up 0.1bar from the previous round. Lets see if the car can go a little faster. Check alignment seems okay. 2.38" negative camber at the front and 1.45" at the rear. Cars to look out for in my category. AE86, KE70 Turbo, VIOS Turbo, MIVEC and Honda's.... deng.
Po pee peng an for snf
..Holy blessing by a buddhist monk for the race. (This is Mr.Lee's car) Mine was blessed years back. :)
-
Date: 30 July 2011
Finally the dust settled down and here are some of the pictures of the event. Everything went smooth for me and Mr.Lee as we finished all 3 heats without any incident. As for me, I've achieved what I aimed for. I got position 6 out of a total of the balance 16 cars in the final. My lap times were faster too. I managed to shave off some 3secs per lap this time round and a total of 15secs faster (7:03) on the final heat compared to the previous round (7:18). There were also some less fortunate dudes with blown engine. Honda EG driven by Aun Yue Wei from Johor didn't manage to complete the heats due to a broken conrod stud. Another Civic EF didn't make it as well. Honda EG driven by Zailan had some incident and his fender was damaged.
Another Wira GSR in FF Festival Car number #19 (this is my only twin i guess) He managed to get 1:28sec best lap time and thats pretty good!
ahaks... 4g93T.. rare in SNF eventhough there are alot on the road.

My lap times
-
Very tired..
Do you see half dead people??
-
Date: 2nd August 2011
Conclusion:
As expected, lots of fun and I've met new friends too. I am very lucky to get position 6 as many of the fast cars got into problems before the final heat. I hope they are ok and the damage is minimal. I also experience things "out of this world" this round.. refer to my on-board video heat 3 comments... cheers and happy motoring!
Feel free to browse my photo album @ Facebook for more pictures.
My On-Board Video
You Tube Video Heat 2.

You Tube Video Heat 3.
As for the next round 6, on 9th Sept I haven't decided to join yet or not.
-
Congratulations to the winners of SNF Round 5.
1.8L OPEN Winner Mr.Vincent posting 1:20 fastest lap time.

-

This EK is very fast indeed. Driven by Ashan (all the way from Sri Langka). Posting 1:18 fastest lap. He was a little less fortunate as he spun out at T1 after the rolling start and had to catch up all the way and finished 2nd place. What a battle!!!

My Junk

Last edited:

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
thanks james. you say this type of write up good manner ar? hahahaha.. i cincai cincai only la... looks like dis-organized bunch of crap only.

BE5RSK

Known Member
Dec 31, 2009
Besaout
Nice video bro :top:

Congratulation also for your 6th place and best time achieved :party:

BTW, how did you see and manoeuvred your car? From the video, I only saw darkness.. You must be very pretty familiar with the SIC curves, don't you? :biggrin:

[H] [K] [S]

1,000 RPM
Dec 22, 2006
Firstly congrats. My advise, learn the lines during corners cuz it seems you're kinda slow on corners however fast on straights. Hopefully you be able to shed few secs & improve your timing. IMHO. Anyways good job... Happy boosting.

jiusan

Known Member
Feb 13, 2008
thumbs up for the monk blessing !!!
took the idea of devil possessed vehicle to divine powered ~

jamesweh

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
I am also quite scared of SNF as Turn 5 & 6 is really dark. I have played before during S1000 practice session. I give up: I rather forfeit my RM300 practice fee. Plus the swing around to straight is really bumpy and dark. Boss, takes balls to drive! My salute to you.

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
BE5RSK, I've been to trackdays several times... so I drive using memory when drive at night. Video is darker.. actual is not that dark. Still can see.. but you require more focus thats all compared with day time.

HKS, I will try to be a little faster during cornering ya? hehehe.. because I don't have that kind of guts ler.. at T3 those VTECs seems to exit the corner faster compared to 2WD Turbo (my car) if I use 2nd gear the tyres will spin even when i just use 60% throttle... at T5 people can do 130-140kmh.. I only maintain on average 115kmh only.. if I use more speed I felt like the car's rear moving out little by little... scared la..

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
xbalance2002, I don't have the best answer for you as every car got it's own unique handling features. You will have to try and try to get the best feel and also by looking at your tyre wear pattern after trackdays. However, negative camber is always required when you are using the car for circuit racing. My settings are mentioned at the first post.. I would like to have more negative camber but my junk allows me so much only.. sigh.

[H] [K] [S]

1,000 RPM
Dec 22, 2006
HKS, I will try to be a little faster during cornering ya? hehehe.. because I don't have that kind of guts ler.. at T3 those VTECs seems to exit the corner faster compared to 2WD Turbo (my car) if I use 2nd gear the tyres will spin even when i just use 60% throttle... at T5 people can do 130-140kmh.. I only maintain on average 115kmh only.. if I use more speed I felt like the car's rear moving out little by little... scared la..
The trick to enter & exit corners in high speed is to minimize the steering input (turn). That's where being on the perfect line plays an important part. The exit speed is what gives you the advantage – so slow up early and accelerate through the corner on a trailing throttle building up power and speed toward the exit vector. :driver: Also tire choice play an important roll as well in terms of traction/grip/handling. May I ask what tires were you on?!:hmmmm: Lastly, weight to ratio - lighten your car as much as possible.

Last edited:

jamesweh

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
I think bro FTZONE, you basically have the principles right. In fact you have more balls than me playing SNF. I have been playing in Sepang for countless track days not really improving but having good fun. The first aspect is your machinery set up, does it have an LSD, are you using semi slicks like Arciles, Federal or Toyo? Brakes, I always sling shot faster vehicles like a Subaru by braking later, This is my fun!
The rest is pure practice, the more you play the more confidant are you around the track.
Then to improve which I havent, go buy a G Force Meter, then use telemetry readings to improve your timing. There is a very good article in the home page of zero to hundred. Saying that a Lambo can get under 2.30 in Sepang.

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
HKS, I think if you are talking about racing lines, I guess I've got that covered. But in events like SNF, best racing lines is no longer the decisive factor in winning. Because mostly everyone either is in a defending line or attacking line especially those positioned in the first 3. Utilizing best racing lines is for time attack events.

I am using the Federal FZ201 semi slicks at the moment for SNF. I cannot lighten the car further otherwise I won't be qualified for the category I am in. Furthermore, my car is used daily as well. So making it street un-friendly is out of the picture.

jamesweh, haha..(refering to the balls thingy) anyway I have a standard 4G93T gearbox with semi lsd + federals fz201 in 195.50.15 I guess my car setup is already pretty neat for a Proton Wira. heck.. what more can I ask for? Furthermore I am not able to compare myself in a Wira with other Wira in Sepang.. because they are so rarely seen @ the tracks.. mostly EVOs, Subaru.. how to compare Wira n Subaru la? Not fair! >.<

jamesweh

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Bro FTZONE, for my SGTI, I lose in the straight. But give me a set of slow corners and late braking. I can sling shot my SGTI just infront of the Subaru's. But that is if the Subaru is a newbie. I brake at 100 - 80 meters, mine is a NA SGTI but with a roll cage and many chassis mods. Now engine and gearbox is taken out for a rebuild. No its not a daily drive.

SE86

Known Member
Nov 21, 2005
nice drive for the night..handling plays an important role in SNF and also the guts for late braking..

i have driven for 3 round in SNF for the 1.3 open category.. always being in 4-6th placing as using stock engine where else the one front have modded engines..

SNF is a good platform to start off for competiton..

ftzone: so hows the FZ201 on track?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The wait is finally over now that Toyota just officially launched its new and much anticipated Toyota 86 sports coupe in Malaysia! The launch of this automotive legend at the Sepang International Circuit was accompanied by the launch of another Toyota icon, the new Toyota Camry...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience