Improving NVH for an old AE101

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

m|ng

Known Member
Hi Mates.

I have a 17-year-old AE101.
Recently, its beginning to rattle, shake, and growl more (thanks to the roads in Malaysia, and basking under the hot sun everyday)
How do we improve NVH on the car?

Common problems:
1. Going over bumps and potholes are not "solid" anymore. Very hollow causing the car to rattle.
-How can we restore the 'New car' feel. Can we change rubber bushes, absorbers, and mountings
2. Gearbox noise very apparent especially 1st and 2nd gear. (Worn bearings maybe? Can I send for repair?)

3. Rattling noise in the cabin (especially from door panels, A, B and C pillar).
-I am planning to buy sound proof fiber to line the insides of the pillar, and door panels. will it help?

Please advise :adore:

haha...old car really like tat...i'm also driving...92' seg...if u found any solution pls do share....tq:wavey:

what is NVH?

i am also driving 92' SEG.. haha.. 17 years old car is ok to have littlee bit NVH ... hahaha

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

i am also driving 92' SEG.. haha.. 17 years old car is ok to have littlee bit NVH ... hahaha

U sure little bit lar u do back de whole car like changing every single part...lolz...!!!!

U sure little bit lar u do back de whole car like changing every single part...lolz...!!!!

knn.. painiting works doesnt related with this NVH ok..:thefinger::thefinger:

my car suspension start noisy oledi lo. no time & no$$$$ to fixed it yet. 17Years oledi la.. i know urs no sound 1... cus all NVH covered by ur big as exhaust...

bro Ming.. Try to change all those bush + rubber mount+ ball joint.... i think it will improve abit at least.. then is u wan solid sound like new car.. i guess u need to go do teh sound proof... hahahaha

really depends on your budget. amongst the most common fixes would be:
• change all the bushes in the car
• change both front and back rubber top mounts
• change the engine and gearbox mounts if not in optimal condition.
• change all the window rubber linings on all 4 doors
• sound proof the car
• autofoam all the pillars and lower door sill

• sound proof the car

i interested on this autofoam.. went ACE hardware found something tat similar,.. but apply on house ware.. hahaha.. not dare to try.. izzit same ar?

it already consider a good car already la... Proton car only tahan for 5-8 year only, then all the NVH sound will come specially Iswara.

• sound proof the car

cataphrax,
long time no see. your first item 'bushes' means all the bushes for suspension link ?
will changing to brand like SuprePRO helps in reducing NVH ?

cataphrax,
long time no see. your first item 'bushes' means all the bushes for suspension link ?
will changing to brand like SuprePRO helps in reducing NVH ?

essentially yes. as you know over the years the rubber bushes would have hardened and lost their absorption properties. so changing them with new OEM rubber bushes will have significant improvement in not only NVH but also the handling characteristics of the car. if you change to poly-urethane there won't be any N but your V and H will be off the scales. wouldn't recommend if you're going for comfort.

i interested on this autofoam.. went ACE hardware found something tat similar,.. but apply on house ware.. hahaha.. not dare to try.. izzit same ar?

woi, better not la. coz that one i think has a different chemical build up. the autofoam that KL auto uses is different as it is high density foam. and plus foaming is irreversible. so once you do it, you can't take it out already. IIRC some of the older nissans like the RNN14 and such used to come out of the factory with autofoam. so its a tried and tested method.

i personally don't have it but i have friends who have tried it. all happy. no complaints so far. on top of it being a good sound deadener, if injected into the A, B and C pillars, you will improve body rigidity, thus improving handling at the same time.

for more info you can check http://www.autofoam.com.my/
( i don't work for them so don't worry not doing to get commission or anything :biggrin: )

theoretical banglas is ALIVE! :thefinger::thefinger: Fuiyo!!!

Khwong, what u do to ur car is insane... u lucky!! ur house got the space.. :D

better than talking shit that no one understands and flooding the forums.

superpro bush will good in handling and user will loss in comfortable issue. ahahaha

autofoam KL..sound very good.. but i dunhav such a huge budget right now,.. mayb wait my car exceedtiung 20 years old then can consider ger. hahaaha

knn.. wat insane... send to paint shop do paint only ma. u also can do it.. i just wanna save some costing tat y i buka some stuff at home cher.. not like u n ur brother./... send who car to paint shop.. they will settle all for u ..no need " fan " no need headache., pay money only ma.. u rich assssss

hehehe... autofoam i got lobang..... going to pump in next week... less than 900 i think for B n C pillar..

this are the item i tested for NVH

wurth foam - be careful as i think hardware store only sell the foaming for construction use as a filler, not for automotive use, too soft.. i still have one in my room.. tak boleh pakai..

dynamat - i buy the bulk pack dynamat extreme, apply on 4 doors n firewall n boot,NVH not much improvement, but the better sound from speakers, when doors closed, like bmw wor.... RM1.1k for the bulk pack..

change all the door rubber lining - better sound insulation

changed full set lower arm n crossmember, lesser sound when going on uneven road

PU foam sheet behind the door trim - going to try soon

Last edited:
bros,
this guy have tried diy foam his car and he regret. please read.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/do-it-yourself-garage/39348-autofoam-vs-diy-insulation-foam-pls-read.html

Photos listing below -
http://www.autoworld.com.my/photoalbum/member/uploadEditPhoto.asp?AID=4450

Dear All Forum DIY fans,

As you know I was the one started the question on AutoFoam. I saw the AD at a local Mag & was interested as I did use this sort of expanding insulation foam for my projects while in college for Automotive projects.

Therefore I took the liberty to find out more... Initially I thought I could DIY the foam for my car as it seems simple & since I am able to purchase it off the shelf at any major DIY shops at very much less the cost to send to car to the Professionals to do it.

I did try to foam my car last year near Dec but unfortunately had an incident which the can nozzle broke me trying to press the foam out but nothing happened instead the neck broke & foam shot to my face & up the sky coming down to cover my whole car..... well I had an early Christmas!

Now I found out later that the foam cans had a usage timeline meaning if you happened to get some stock this month & decide to foam couple of months later you can end up with 'less pressure + uneven expansion + unstable curing & adhesiveness'

AGAIN I also found out the the foams we buy off shelf are known as 'Insulation Foam' means there are designed to expand & foam in areas with gaps but the same time exposed to air as indicated on the cans! THEY are NOT DESIGNED for other usage especially in a car! The expansion & gas pressure is great and it creates huge air pockets in between and is soft & easy to press down. It also takes in moisture meaning it can absorb water! And due to the larger gaps of pockets water can seep thru as well!

---------------------------

After reading the numerous posting here I decided to re-aquaint myself with this AutoFoam product & got in contact with Desmond & see for myself what a BIG MISTAKE I almost did to my own car! It's not that I could not DIY myself but its the fact that the products are NOT the same even though they are EXPANDING FOAM!

This expansion of AutoFoam is slow - it oozles out NOT shoots out like the DIY cans. Also it does not cure by itself as it need an active agent to cure with. The density is greater akin to a Rubber mattress vs a PU foam mattress! A rubber mattress is denser & heavier & harder to press in than a foam mattress.

The other property I seen is the ability for AutoFoam to hold in water in a bottle & not let the water seep thru or even soak in! That made me think dam lucky I didn't foam my car yet!

Now another thing I found out was the torsional strength AutoFoam has oppose to DIY foams - It's harder to twist AutoFoam after it's fully cured than is to DIY foam!

OK now AutoFoam is not for sound insulation as it is for strenghtening the car... the bonus or perception of less sound is because the body is not flexing so much & creating resonance sound that really BUGS the ears!
Real sound proofing is your usual SP materials for autofreaks OK! (Like SuperLon)

What is really good is that AutoFoam really does what it says and is able to strenghten the car which in returns make the car better, more comfortable, more responsive to drive. In example: if you are driving a Wira you get the similar feel to Waja (just example OK!) Whatever feel you get is your own perception as is my own so you have to find out yourself on that.

Please do your own research if you are keen to foam your car and remember that DIY is fun & cheaper but we are not taking about grounding wires here OK! We are talking about a "Permanent Chemical Reaction Component" for your car! For me this time I have to give up DIYing & go with the Pros .... cause I couldn't buy AutoFoam off any shelf!

Now I am fortunate I didn't managed to DIY foam my car as it seems the exploding incident was "A Blessing In Disguise".

Bump: bros,

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/do-it-yourself-garage/39348-autofoam-vs-diy-insulation-foam-pls-read.html

Photos listing below -

Dear All Forum DIY fans,

As you know I was the one started the question on AutoFoam. I saw the AD at a local Mag & was interested as I did use this sort of expanding insulation foam for my projects while in college for Automotive projects.

Therefore I took the liberty to find out more... Initially I thought I could DIY the foam for my car as it seems simple & since I am able to purchase it off the shelf at any major DIY shops at very much less the cost to send to car to the Professionals to do it.

I did try to foam my car last year near Dec but unfortunately had an incident which the can nozzle broke me trying to press the foam out but nothing happened instead the neck broke & foam shot to my face & up the sky coming down to cover my whole car..... well I had an early Christmas!

Now I found out later that the foam cans had a usage timeline meaning if you happened to get some stock this month & decide to foam couple of months later you can end up with 'less pressure + uneven expansion + unstable curing & adhesiveness'

AGAIN I also found out the the foams we buy off shelf are known as 'Insulation Foam' means there are designed to expand & foam in areas with gaps but the same time exposed to air as indicated on the cans! THEY are NOT DESIGNED for other usage especially in a car! The expansion & gas pressure is great and it creates huge air pockets in between and is soft & easy to press down. It also takes in moisture meaning it can absorb water! And due to the larger gaps of pockets water can seep thru as well!

After reading the numerous posting here I decided to re-aquaint myself with this AutoFoam product & got in contact with Desmond & see for myself what a BIG MISTAKE I almost did to my own car! It's not that I could not DIY myself but its the fact that the products are NOT the same even though they are EXPANDING FOAM!

This expansion of AutoFoam is slow - it oozles out NOT shoots out like the DIY cans. Also it does not cure by itself as it need an active agent to cure with. The density is greater akin to a Rubber mattress vs a PU foam mattress! A rubber mattress is denser & heavier & harder to press in than a foam mattress.

The other property I seen is the ability for AutoFoam to hold in water in a bottle & not let the water seep thru or even soak in! That made me think dam lucky I didn't foam my car yet!

Now another thing I found out was the torsional strength AutoFoam has oppose to DIY foams - It's harder to twist AutoFoam after it's fully cured than is to DIY foam!

OK now AutoFoam is not for sound insulation as it is for strenghtening the car... the bonus or perception of less sound is because the body is not flexing so much & creating resonance sound that really BUGS the ears!
Real sound proofing is your usual SP materials for autofreaks OK! (Like SuperLon)

What is really good is that AutoFoam really does what it says and is able to strenghten the car which in returns make the car better, more comfortable, more responsive to drive. In example: if you are driving a Wira you get the similar feel to Waja (just example OK!) Whatever feel you get is your own perception as is my own so you have to find out yourself on that.

Please do your own research if you are keen to foam your car and remember that DIY is fun & cheaper but we are not taking about grounding wires here OK! We are talking about a "Permanent Chemical Reaction Component" for your car! For me this time I have to give up DIYing & go with the Pros .... cause I couldn't buy AutoFoam off any shelf!

Now I am fortunate I didn't managed to DIY foam my car as it seems the exploding incident was "A Blessing In Disguise".

Bump: bros,

Photos listing below -

Dear All Forum DIY fans,

hehehe.. thats why i m talking about be careful when refering to the foam used for construction, coz those are the filler foam, and not strengthening foam..

My you guys are an active bunch.. half a day and page 2 already! :biggrin:

• sound proof the car

What I heard from my mechanic, he says Toyota's cannot change bushes, as thier bushes comes with the whole set of whatever it is attached to. Its generally not recommended cause its not meant to be changed. True? He might pulling my legs. If this is possible, it might be good, as it will "tighten" up your car when going over bumps.

Engine mounting should be still doing fine. Not much rattle during idle.

When you mention Rubber lining, you meant the door frame rubber?
Those are bloody expensive.. changing ori Toyota rubber will cost slightly above 1000. Any better alternative?

I considered Sound Proof. Ordered a few pieces from my local shop. waiting for stock to arrive.

Autofoam... Penang nobody doing >.<

My you guys are an active bunch.. half a day and page 2 already! :biggrin:

What I heard from my mechanic, he says Toyota's cannot change bushes, as thier bushes comes with the whole set of whatever it is attached to. Its generally not recommended cause its not meant to be changed. True? He might pulling my legs. If this is possible, it might be good, as it will "tighten" up your car when going over bumps.

Engine mounting should be still doing fine. Not much rattle during idle.

When you mention Rubber lining, you meant the door frame rubber?
Those are bloody expensive.. changing ori Toyota rubber will cost slightly above 1000. Any better alternative?

I considered Sound Proof. Ordered a few pieces from my local shop. waiting for stock to arrive.

Autofoam... Penang nobody doing >.<

for door lining, can get from half cut mar... only 50 per piece, 4 rubber only 200 bucks, unfortunately i dun have stock.. hehehe... auto foam well i m waiting fro my fren.. if got i let u know lah...

bro u r from penang ar? pm me ur contact leh.. coz got some toyota kakis here... hehehe...

Top Bottom