Improving NVH for an old AE101

m|ng

Known Member
May 13, 2006
Hi Mates.

I have a 17-year-old AE101.
Recently, its beginning to rattle, shake, and growl more (thanks to the roads in Malaysia, and basking under the hot sun everyday)
How do we improve NVH on the car?

Common problems:
1. Going over bumps and potholes are not "solid" anymore. Very hollow causing the car to rattle.
-How can we restore the 'New car' feel. Can we change rubber bushes, absorbers, and mountings
2. Gearbox noise very apparent especially 1st and 2nd gear. (Worn bearings maybe? Can I send for repair?)

3. Rattling noise in the cabin (especially from door panels, A, B and C pillar).
-I am planning to buy sound proof fiber to line the insides of the pillar, and door panels. will it help?

Please advise :adore:

wilm3

500 RPM
Aug 4, 2005
KL
haha...old car really like tat...i'm also driving...92' seg...if u found any solution pls do share....tq:wavey:

m|ng

Known Member
May 13, 2006
Noise, Vibration, Harshness i reckon.

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
i am also driving 92' SEG.. haha.. 17 years old car is ok to have littlee bit NVH ... hahaha

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

DentPSF

500 RPM
Jun 5, 2006
i am also driving 92' SEG.. haha.. 17 years old car is ok to have littlee bit NVH ... hahaha

U sure little bit lar u do back de whole car like changing every single part...lolz...!!!!

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
U sure little bit lar u do back de whole car like changing every single part...lolz...!!!!
knn.. painiting works doesnt related with this NVH ok..:thefinger::thefinger:

my car suspension start noisy oledi lo. no time & no$$$$ to fixed it yet. 17Years oledi la.. i know urs no sound 1... cus all NVH covered by ur big as exhaust...

bro Ming.. Try to change all those bush + rubber mount+ ball joint.... i think it will improve abit at least.. then is u wan solid sound like new car.. i guess u need to go do teh sound proof... hahahaha

cataphrax

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
really depends on your budget. amongst the most common fixes would be:
• change all the bushes in the car
• change both front and back rubber top mounts
• change the engine and gearbox mounts if not in optimal condition.
• change all the window rubber linings on all 4 doors
• sound proof the car
• autofoam all the pillars and lower door sill

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
• sound proof the car
i interested on this autofoam.. went ACE hardware found something tat similar,.. but apply on house ware.. hahaha.. not dare to try.. izzit same ar?

scomatic

2,000 RPM
Sep 20, 2005
Kota Bharu, Kel

it already consider a good car already la... Proton car only tahan for 5-8 year only, then all the NVH sound will come specially Iswara.

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
• sound proof the car

cataphrax,
long time no see. your first item 'bushes' means all the bushes for suspension link ?
will changing to brand like SuprePRO helps in reducing NVH ?

cataphrax

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
cataphrax,
long time no see. your first item 'bushes' means all the bushes for suspension link ?
will changing to brand like SuprePRO helps in reducing NVH ?
essentially yes. as you know over the years the rubber bushes would have hardened and lost their absorption properties. so changing them with new OEM rubber bushes will have significant improvement in not only NVH but also the handling characteristics of the car. if you change to poly-urethane there won't be any N but your V and H will be off the scales. wouldn't recommend if you're going for comfort.

i interested on this autofoam.. went ACE hardware found something tat similar,.. but apply on house ware.. hahaha.. not dare to try.. izzit same ar?
woi, better not la. coz that one i think has a different chemical build up. the autofoam that KL auto uses is different as it is high density foam. and plus foaming is irreversible. so once you do it, you can't take it out already. IIRC some of the older nissans like the RNN14 and such used to come out of the factory with autofoam. so its a tried and tested method.

i personally don't have it but i have friends who have tried it. all happy. no complaints so far. on top of it being a good sound deadener, if injected into the A, B and C pillars, you will improve body rigidity, thus improving handling at the same time.

for more info you can check http://www.autofoam.com.my/
( i don't work for them so don't worry not doing to get commission or anything :biggrin: )

cataphrax

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
theoretical banglas is ALIVE! :thefinger::thefinger: Fuiyo!!!

Khwong, what u do to ur car is insane... u lucky!! ur house got the space.. :D
better than talking shit that no one understands and flooding the forums.

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
superpro bush will good in handling and user will loss in comfortable issue. ahahaha

autofoam KL..sound very good.. but i dunhav such a huge budget right now,.. mayb wait my car exceedtiung 20 years old then can consider ger. hahaaha

theoretical banglas is ALIVE! :thefinger::thefinger: Fuiyo!!!

Khwong, what u do to ur car is insane... u lucky!! ur house got the space.. :D
knn.. wat insane... send to paint shop do paint only ma. u also can do it.. i just wanna save some costing tat y i buka some stuff at home cher.. not like u n ur brother./... send who car to paint shop.. they will settle all for u ..no need " fan " no need headache., pay money only ma.. u rich assssss

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Some dog's anus broke my driver side window and stole my boost meter, inside a-pillar plastic trim and the meter pod.

The boost meter is an APEXi EL (1) white face. White Greddy meter pod with some minor cracks. White a-pillar trim for mazda 323.

If anyone comes across these items, please PM me immediately. I'm online all day.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience