4age SVT - Air Intake questions

sbirdz

1,500 RPM
Mar 27, 2005
S.Kembangan
sbirdz_jackals.blogs.friendster.com
Guys, I remember the far back thread, there was one sifu mentions about air intake vs exhaust outlet...

just can't find that little thread back...

So mind if i ask back here....

I am curious as hahhaa!! well, going to be start back active now.. in my AE101...

now, one of my friend mentions to me... by changing my air filter box to either Blitz or ARC box... your air intake will increase... by the terms of, the air field being allowing air VS the air hole in original air intake box on svt is small.... So your engine can have a larger air flow.

*I am just using my maths in brain and logic sense here*

and i actually have to agree on this, although i haven't tried it out... but i be trying out a blitz soon...

2nd question, what can i do to make the air intake even more?
- by changing my intake cam lift?
- or can i actually do something with the throttle body here? errr... no idea... Can the throttle body be change to a larger ones...

alright, going to end my search for today... it is freakening 5am here already... my brain and eyes aren't coupling up already... :)

my budget aren't huge here btw...

KHWONG

3,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2006
crazy insane birdz is alive. hahahhahahaha

u need this for sure.. hahahahha

grab it be4 ur best fren come my house .. hahaahha

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Trumpet = more air intake
... as simple as that. :listen:

scottwrx

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2007
hehehe... juz got my trumpet 30 min ago.. sound damn chun loh.... go pop the bonnet of my mechanic's car and ask him pinjam the trumpet.... and force him to take out.. muahahaha...

bro sbirdz, i used 3 types of intake system before, trd drop in, blitz SUS - the stainless steel mesh one, and trumpet.. all i can say is trumpet is damn loud, but good response, lose a mid range torque,

blitz - got a bit of sound, air goes in faster, slightly better than standard drop in filter

trd drop in - one of the best drop in available, damn silent but good response.

ARC gotta ask kevfoo already... paging paging...he got one terbalik one.. previously take out from mitsubishi, and terbalik the thing to fit to bt..

as for lift or cam, i know a fren is using bt cam and vvt pulley on svt head, but using bt wiring, as for svt wiring, i m not sure whether the signal for vvt from svt is same as bt, if same u can try that also,

budget upgrade for svt is using bt extractor n flywheel loh.... less than 400 bucks only... confirm got improvement one..

calvin - open pod means using filter without the filter box, trumpet mean take off the air ram box( dunno is that the correct term) n put the 4 trumpet lah...

if open pod the air wont go in as fast as trumpet, due to the design, coz trumpet has more area for air to go in, instead of the narrow space limited by the air ram box intake diameter...

Bump:
Trumpet = more air intake
... as simple as that. :listen:
of run on trumpet need at least 2.5k,

coz need to change to bt wiring... muahahaha....

bro sbirdz u can try to mod the afm in one of the trumpet n see how... i would be damn interested to know..... muahahaha.....

Last edited:

scottwrx

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2007
use something to cover the trumpet loh...

few material can choose... hks sponge, stainless steel mesh, superbike filter.. or the best.. lady's socks.. hehehe....

but a lot of ppl prefer naked one.... a bit gamble loh... no protection.. hehehe...

banzai

1,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL \ Ipoh
Visit site
satisfaction guarantee....go 4 no protection :nurse:
Don't. at least wire mesh. tat's the least you can do. a small stone with a few mm in diameter will cause serious damage to ur throttle body. best is if you can find the proper filter from Pipercross or imec.

Last edited:

NA_Lover

Known Member
Jul 19, 2008
Wahahaha... its like going for a round with your gf and telling her you're not using a condom.
(Its up to you really!)

Can op for ladies pantyhose.. very good filtration but if rev too hard sumtimes whole thing can get sucked in. Hahah!!!!

Calvin(ST)

Known Member
Dec 24, 2008
last time im saw a thread selling svt trumpet, tat's mean i juz pnp it without change anythings? really confuse wif it cos as i know tat when u use trumpet u need 2 change alot bt stuffs!:confused:

sbirdz

1,500 RPM
Mar 27, 2005
S.Kembangan
sbirdz_jackals.blogs.friendster.com
crazy insane birdz is alive. hahahhahahaha
How much you are selling it, and well... that is somethig i dunno yet. WHy B16b can use a HUGE air box with a huge air intake hose... i duno what they call it, but usually honda guys if they mod their air intake to larger ones, u will see that SNAKE ANACONDA sized air intake system there... it is like a Cobra after swallowed a chicken or duck ....

but still, i dun think i be planning to move on to another level such as MAP setting.

I prefer my car to be running in AFM at the moment. If you ask me, i would just said budget. I am not trying to waste a huge sum of money to either:
- convert the top half system to BT MAP + svt engine... that cost me 1-2k at least
- run on a full standalone managements and still i be requiring something from BT MAP there.. i believes was their damnit sensors...
and AFM is actually something i sort of interested in too... been doing some research back here on AFM vs MAP... AFM produce a power which is slightly pull back when u engage on heavy pedalling... while MAP produce a smooother power when u engage heavily... I am not too sure, but my back bone told me this with those internet research i done. I tried this on BT before.. it is really a smooth launchs... while svt, if u really press it hard... u actually can feel there is a slight pulling strenght there... (not la as G-FOrce or whut VTEC+MIVEC pulling factor), it is just a slight different feeling.. :)

so at the moments, i am just trying to balance back something inside my car now. I know my engine is chocking and grasping of air at the moment and also lacking of the spark fire... so No open trumpet r.. brother!~:biggrin:

I seen ARC box before, and i seen Blitz before... and i never see a TRD set before...

and this is just the first upgrades on the air...

still, does anyones know.. how can i increase the air flow?
- larger valve? <-- can this really be done?
- cam intake lift higher? <-- IF once touched 272 cam + 264 cam~ ok, this one is next year plan... dun wanna move in that fast pace yet..

Bump:
Calvin, you can't simply open ur SVT engine to breathe free air, SVT runs and detects on vacuums, they find any leaking or leakage of air, ur engine will goes chocking all the way... and mostly, i don't think u can even start your engine already.

Scott, you are running in BT or just their wiring? :) can't run using open trumpet de... and like other said... that will be another stage of setting jor. :)

right now, i am just trying to maximize my car with the current management i am using and doing more and more search on what i can squeeze out from this management... before i kill my 2nd svt engine.... or should i save this 2nd engine and rebuild it...

:biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

scottwrx

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2007
How much you are selling it, and well... that is somethig i dunno yet. WHy B16b can use a HUGE air box with a huge air intake hose... i duno what they call it, but usually honda guys if they mod their air intake to larger ones, u will see that SNAKE ANACONDA sized air intake system there... it is like a Cobra after swallowed a chicken or duck ....

I seen ARC box before, and i seen Blitz before... and i never see a TRD set before...

and this is just the first upgrades on the air...

still, does anyones know.. how can i increase the air flow?
- larger valve? <-- can this really be done?
- cam intake lift higher? <-- IF once touched 272 cam + 264 cam~ ok, this one is next year plan... dun wanna move in that fast pace yet..

Bump:

Scott, you are running in BT or just their wiring? :) can't run using open trumpet de... and like other said... that will be another stage of setting jor. :)

right now, i am just trying to maximize my car with the current management i am using and doing more and more search on what i can squeeze out from this management... before i kill my 2nd svt engine.... or should i save this 2nd engine and rebuild it...

:biggrin::biggrin:
the big intake has a generic name - whales penis.. muahahaha.. that is what hypertune guys call it...

i m running on bt, and the trd is drop in type, juz like original... but better flow...

work on hks sponge or blitz intake will do lah... but i think there must be a balance between intake n exhaust... aftermarket extractor will help also...

as for cam, maximum for standard ecu is 256 - 262 will do, anything beyond need management n valve spring if need to run smoothly n safely.

Bump:
last time im saw a thread selling svt trumpet, tat's mean i juz pnp it without change anythings? really confuse wif it cos as i know tat when u use trumpet u need 2 change alot bt stuffs!:confused:
svt n bt throttle intake is different, that why there are trumpet for svt n bt, but in order to run trumpet, svt need to convert using bt wiring, n using map sensor instead of afm

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
I guess you guys got the idea about trumpet. Well, its not that expensive converting from AFM to MAP. All you need is a Map sensor and BT ECU (maybe the AIT sensor too), which can be done at around RM1k. No need to change the entire wiring to BT =)

If you're going for cams and stuff, I think its best to convert to MAP. IIRC, there's some sort of flap inside the AFM which could cause restriction to the air intake... not too sure about this. Anyone has a pic of the AFM's pass-through tunnel?

On the other side, adding trumpet whilst keeping the plenum should also improve air intake a bit. If the Tom's plenum + trumpet is reasonable, it guess it should be best for SVT. Otherwise, custom-made 2" trumpet might do the trick.

The reason why some users might experience power loss with open trumpet is because stock ECU is not designed to optimize such application. This is where EMS (such as E-manage) helps to optimize the performance. In my personal testing, open trumpet + emanage helped me to gain power (based on feeling) and also 10-15km extra mileage.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Wheel clamp anyone?

Greetings!
Just to share something that I bought from Ace Hardware last week. A wheel clamp: http://imageshack.ushttp://img124.imageshack.us/img124/6638/wheelcramp6uq.jpg

Initially I bought an Autolock but couldn't fit, and I don't trust steering lock, hence this thing should fit the bill.

rgds
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience