A streetable 300whp NA VTEC

chris2000

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
Now let's get on to the juicy part!! The objective, a streetable 300whp K series! Streetable meaning air-conditioning, power steering, driveable with our local fuel octane level and most importantly drives like a normal road car...but with a whole lot more power!! Basically, maintaining the creature comforts that Honda has so graciously given us stock from the factory, but still be able to kick some serious turbo ass. So after many late night discussions with the dude that's paying for all this NA madness, let's call him B, we decided to go for an all out K24 NA buildup. Apparently $$ wasn't an issue for this dude!! Some guys just have it all...sigh. Anyways, strangely enough B was very specific that he did not want any Japanese parts in his engine. Fair enough since he's paying, so we came up with the following shopping list!

K24 short block
Forged pistons (AvantGarde spec)
Forged con-rods
ACL Race series engine and con rod bearings
K20A oil pump
K20A water pump
Custom Crower Cams (AvantGarde spec)
Crower Valve springs
Ferrea stainless steel valves
A custom ported cylinder head (port and polished by AvantGarde)
Jenvey individual throttle body (AvantGarde spec)
Hytech custom build race header for K24
Hondata K-Pro
Exedy Hyper Single Clutch set (the only jap item!!)
ARP bolts and head studs
Cometic head gasket
AEM aluminium pulleys
RC Engineering injectors

What a shopping list huh!! Ok people will update with pictures tommorow. Very tired now.
If 300whp on B-Series is going to be tough, but if the build is going to be based on a K24 then it is no SUPRISE to me at all. Moreover look at the long list of parts with ITB. I'm happy for the owner and happy for advantgarde to have found a customer where MONEY was not an issue. K24/K20 hybrid doing 300whp is no big deal in USA. It is just that in MAlaysia not many people have this kind of money to spend to built it with the right parts.

I'm sure with customers who are willing to pay this mega dollar for the built, another competent or reputable mechanic/shop would have been able to achieve this 300whp.

In USA, where most of the K-Series scene are now, alot of people with K24/K20 hybrid are doing 300whp with just a single plenum (single throttle body). And guys with Jenvey/TWM 4 throttle are doing like 350whp!

300whp K24/K20 not a big deal in USA scene, but got to give credits to local mech who did this here in MAlaysia.

But to try and share your setup here, you got to give more info on the build. Whatever listed there is all very general info where anyone could just GOOGLE and find these specs to make 300whp.

If its just another "SECRET" then there is not much for you to share in this community but just another advertisement opportunity for your buddies from AdvantGarde :shades_smile:

chris2000

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
Well.. if it's not for drag racing.. 300whp is still kind of extreme.. But you're getting irritated just because of I said? C'mon bro, temper management required...

I didn't say your build was bad.. and making 300whp isn't so easy, even from a K24..

But if you manage to do it.. I'd be one of the first to congratulate you.

But since when are quads considered 'streetable'? :P

And how are you going to get it to idle properly with a/c on and off without an IACV? or going for quads with a plenum like 5'zigen's DC5 setup?

Oh, sorry... you're not going to share the setup.. trade secrets... never mind.. :P
ITB can be streetable. If it is tune properly that is.

Streetable is a very subjective word. hehe.. My DC2, i think is fairly streetable, just a bit stiff ride, but i'm sure you will complain like hell when you sit in my dc2. hahaha

chris2000

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
Let me start the ball rolling for you.

Hope you will shed some light to our ZTH member that is not so well verse with K-Series here :regular_smile:

K24 short block - Is it using stock crank or restroke to like 106mm crank?

Forged pistons (AvantGarde spec) - So what spec is this ar? Did AvantGarde engineer design the piston? Custom order i know la cause malaysia no one play ma. Or is it just specific bore and compression where he just order from JE, Wiseco, Arias, CP etc just off the shelf from USA cause there so many bore and compression now.

What is the piston bore and compression height and compression dome?

Forged con-rods - What rods are these? H beam or I beam? Brian Crower, Crower, Carillo, Manley??? Is it stock K24 length rods or longer offset rods?

ACL Race series engine and con rod bearings
K20A oil pump
K20A water pump

Custom Crower Cams (AvantGarde spec) - Err... Again did AvantGarde engineer design the cam to his specification with the lobe center he need, peak lift needed, duration he needed, or just Custom order the cams from USA so become Avantgarde spec?

Crower Valve springs
Ferrea stainless steel valves

A custom ported cylinder head (port and polished by AvantGarde) - Stock K20A type R heads are already flowing more than 300cfm @ 28" @ 0.5" lift (B18C-R flowing about 250cfm and USA CNC ported B Head will only be about 300cfm). So how well did the Avantgarde head flow and what was the custom ported done? Did he do any work on the throat, changed valve angle and combustion camber work? I'm just curios cause many in Malaysia does not do many work on the head of the K20-R cause it is already flowing damn well and any major port on them affecting the shape of the port is just going to ruin the head. So i know most local guys are just plainly doing CLEANING UP and POLISH the exhaust track only.

Jenvey individual throttle body (AvantGarde spec) - So what did the guy did to make it AvantGarde spec? Did he just change the funnel or funnel length to make it Avantgarde spec? What is throttel body size? is it 46, 48, 50 or 54mm?

Hytech custom build race header for K24 - Is this 4-1 or tri-y 4-2-1? How to wait to get this ordered and custom made for your engine specs? For B-Series the production model goes for just below US$800 and custom for B-Series is about US$1400 for my car and i had to wait about 3 months to get one CUSTOM made. Please share more info on these header. Really interested on them :X-:

Hondata K-Pro
Exedy Hyper Single Clutch set (the only jap item!!)
ARP bolts and head studs
Cometic head gasket
AEM aluminium pulleys

RC Engineering injectors - What size was used? is 440cc enough or you had to use bigger ones like 550cc?

I know its alot of question. You posted it out to share so hope you will share with the forumer here. YES guys??

And errr... Where is the DYNO chart ar?? :shocked:

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
Fu-yohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Since Chris and Shiroi are doing the technical talk, then i'll be the one giving ideas on how to make the world know on whatcha doing.

1. please put the names of the mechanics and owner of the car
2. the car original spec before and after
3. make sure the photograph is clear and concise (both car and ppl)
4. make sure the dates are correct since we want to know the duration of the build
5. keep all receipts for proof purchase. if its from halfcut, we dun mind also
6. results from dyno, tracktime, dragtime

If this is like another honda-tech thing, it better be correct. flames are hotter than hot teh-tarik.

If this is another SECRECY ninja conspiracy, then theres nothing to learn about. it will be as zth as it is. By year 2010 we will still talk about on how to differentiate an EF camshafts with type-r. Even i if know what to do i still dont have money to fool around with.

so keep it up!

lightningfield

2,000 RPM
Dec 29, 2004
Johor Bahru
www.ef-honda.com
EF camshaft the best amongst all OEM Honda camshafts. ahaks

or maybe hattech can develop AvanTech camshaft (higher lift compared to the Avantgarde spec)

come on. where you wanna go with 300hp engine on conventional honda chassis?

chris2000

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
Fu-yohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Since Chris and Shiroi are doing the technical talk, then i'll be the one giving ideas on how to make the world know on whatcha doing.

1. please put the names of the mechanics and owner of the car
2. the car original spec before and after
3. make sure the photograph is clear and concise (both car and ppl)
4. make sure the dates are correct since we want to know the duration of the build
5. keep all receipts for proof purchase. if its from halfcut, we dun mind also
6. results from dyno, tracktime, dragtime

If this is like another honda-tech thing, it better be correct. flames are hotter than hot teh-tarik.

If this is another SECRECY ninja conspiracy, then theres nothing to learn about. it will be as zth as it is. By year 2010 we will still talk about on how to differentiate an EF camshafts with type-r. Even i if know what to do i still dont have money to fool around with.

so keep it up!
Hai ya.. We were got technical.. Just being a little more specific. We are all here to learn and share experience. Right ZTH friends??? :tongwink:

J101 you should chip in your share too since you had been using ITB for daily driving. hehe...

And to help the poster answer some of your questions:-

1. please put the names of the mechanics and owner of the car - Mechanics must be from AdvanGarde since it is Advangarde Specs. Most owner will not reveal name. Moreover most owner doesn't even know there is a thread here on his car :regular_smile:

2. the car original spec before and after - No one in the forum here wants to know before. They only want to know what is this 300whp car now only. hehe..

3. make sure the photograph is clear and concise (both car and ppl) - Picture of car can get but posing with car, errr... so sorry bro.. owner want to keep low profile..

4. make sure the dates are correct since we want to know the duration of the build - Irrelevant, cause now digital camera can adjust date ma..

5. keep all receipts for proof purchase. if its from halfcut, we dun mind also - Who the hell want to show you receipts to proof??? I myself don even have all my receipts from all the parts i buy for my car. haha...

6. results from dyno, tracktime, dragtime - As said this is a streetable car with AIR-cond and Power Steering, so i assume its going to be daily driven only.. So you guys won't be seeing this car in action in any official drag or sunday track days.

But.... A dyno chart showing where it is dyoned and the date on them will be good to share. hehehe....

J101, don't flame me ya. hehehe :_:

J101

1,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2005
malaysia
Ha ha you must have not taken lunch yet Chris.

1. Ok ok, Area 51. Nobody wants to know their names.

2. I would love to know the base power. I think its important.

3. Ok ok, Area 51. Nobody wants to see their faces and car.

4. This will take years bro. No target date and goals?

5. EBay is cheap nowadays. Ha ha

6. Ok then dyno result is sufficient

You are getting excited Chris, how many times u reload-ed this page? Ha ha

chris2000

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2005
Ha ha you must have not taken lunch yet Chris.

1. Ok ok, Area 51. Nobody wants to know their names.

2. I would love to know the base power. I think its important.

3. Ok ok, Area 51. Nobody wants to see their faces and car.

4. This will take years bro. No target date and goals?

5. EBay is cheap nowadays. Ha ha

6. Ok then dyno result is sufficient

You are getting excited Chris, how many times u reload-ed this page? Ha ha
Haha.. Just finish my lunch box in office. hahaa..

Here it goes again..

2. I'm sure there was no baseline cause it was probably running B-Series before this K-Series came along, unless we are seeing this K24 in a DC5 or EP3.

4. Hey bro.. Didn't you see the post say "Money was not an issue", so can purchase all parts at one go.. Not like us, where have to save and plan where the budget goes to and to plan what parts to buy in stages.

Sure, i'm excited :_: This is the second time i'm "hearing" a 300whp K24/K20 in Malaysia.. Want to learn more ma...

nismo502

Known Member
Apr 25, 2004
Hai ya.. We were got technical.. Just being a little more specific. We are all here to learn and share experience. Right ZTH friends??? :tongwink:

J101 you should chip in your share too since you had been using ITB for daily driving. hehe...

And to help the poster answer some of your questions:-

1. please put the names of the mechanics and owner of the car - Mechanics must be from AdvanGarde since it is Advangarde Specs. Most owner will not reveal name. Moreover most owner doesn't even know there is a thread here on his car :regular_smile:

2. the car original spec before and after - No one in the forum here wants to know before. They only want to know what is this 300whp car now only. hehe..

3. make sure the photograph is clear and concise (both car and ppl) - Picture of car can get but posing with car, errr... so sorry bro.. owner want to keep low profile..

4. make sure the dates are correct since we want to know the duration of the build - Irrelevant, cause now digital camera can adjust date ma..

5. keep all receipts for proof purchase. if its from halfcut, we dun mind also - Who the hell want to show you receipts to proof??? I myself don even have all my receipts from all the parts i buy for my car. haha...

6. results from dyno, tracktime, dragtime - As said this is a streetable car with AIR-cond and Power Steering, so i assume its going to be daily driven only.. So you guys won't be seeing this car in action in any official drag or sunday track days.

But.... A dyno chart showing where it is dyoned and the date on them will be good to share. hehehe....

J101, don't flame me ya. hehehe :_:

EXCELLENT REPLY CHRIS :shades_smile:

TheGame

Feb 5, 2004
Wow so many eager responces! But now now boys let's play nice :regular_smile: . This thread was not meant to cause any trouble but simply to showcase what we've achieved here in Malaysia .

The mentality of some people never seize to amaze me. Must all Vtec engine buildup be for drag racing only!! 13 seconds this 12 seconds that. There are other forms of motorsports besides drag racing bro. Don't be so narrow minded.
Anyways am sorry for the 'sarcastic' remark dudes but was a wee bit irritated last night. We're currently prepping a car for the HKS time attack event in SIC and was sorting out some wiring issues till late last night :angry_smile: !!

TheGame

Feb 5, 2004
Why not ACT clutches? That would be a USDM alternative to Exedy Hyper Single. I think they make clutches for boosted honda's that would fit your application.
Actually we've tried a couple of different clutches from US before but we've never had much luck with them. Never tried ACT before though! Will KIV Shiroitenshi thanks :regular_smile: !Tried Clutch Master twin plates but the centre spline was sheered off after a couple of 'spirited' runs! Wanted to try Tilton clutches but they're way to expensive!!. Owner has tried Exedy before and never had a problem with it. Pedal feel is pretty light and the bite of it is excelento!! So we just decided to stick with Exedy cause it's pretty much problem free and easily available.

TheGame

Feb 5, 2004
Your spec is wow !! ,,,which workshop do you plan to do it ?? or which workshop are you from ?? and NA street built with Jenvey ITB ?? and what is Avangarde spec ??
Dude I'm from AvantGarde Mechanic. Yup Jenvey ITB's with air cond and it idles like a dream. Come over and chek it out! You'll definetly be amazed :omg_smile: !!

TheGame

Feb 5, 2004
In USA, where most of the K-Series scene are now, alot of people with K24/K20 hybrid are doing 300whp with just a single plenum (single throttle body). And guys with Jenvey/TWM 4 throttle are doing like 350whp!
Wow I honestly didn't know that:omg_smile: !As far as I know, Skunk2's Integra running a fully build K24 on methanol or alcohol or some funky fuel concoction is only getting 320+whp. And that's with ITBs! Would really like to know who can build a 350whp K:regular_smile: ??

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Well... thanks for sharing.. with this kind of power.. what kind of driveshafts are you using? The stock K unit?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It's no secret that Lotus is expected to introduce up to five new models at the upcoming Paris Motor Show. Among these five new concepts are two new front-engined GT models, a roadster, the new Esprit and a mystery model taunted to be a new supercar to take on the likes of Ferrari, Mclaren and Lamborghini.

Well, according to reports online, Lotus has officially confirmed the latter.

The Malaysian-owned...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience