A streetable 300whp NA VTEC

TheGame

Feb 5, 2004
Is it even possible? With air conditioning and power steering!! Build and tuned in good 'ol Malaysia. I've noticed from other Honda threads in ZTH that there are alot of non belivers out there. COME ON people..what happend to the Malaysia Boleh spirit!!! Well let me tell you, it is definetly possible cause I've already build one! I'm a Malaysian and guess what, I'm building another one:rock: !! So for the benefit of all the non believers out there as well as fellow ZTH members, I will share my next buildup with you guys. Before I continue though, I would like to state that everything that I post up is from hands on engine building experience, and not just nonsense that I've read or heard somewhere. Talk is cheap and K series power is not..I can assure you! Please take note though, I will not discuss certain parts or specs used as these are highly guarded trade secrets. So please do not ask as refusal may offend.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Is it even possible? With air conditioning and power steering!! Build and tuned in good 'ol Malaysia. I've noticed from other Honda threads in ZTH that there are alot of non belivers out there. COME ON people..what happend to the Malaysia Boleh spirit!!! Well let me tell you, it is definetly possible cause I've already build one! I'm a Malaysian and guess what, I'm building another one:rock: !! So for the benefit of all the non believers out there as well as fellow ZTH members, I will share my next buildup with you guys. Before I continue though, I would like to state that everything that I post up is from hands on engine building experience, and not just nonsense that I've read or heard somewhere. Talk is cheap and K series power is not..I can assure you! Please take note though, I will not discuss certain parts or specs used as these are highly guarded trade secrets. So please do not ask as refusal may offend.
I'll believe it when I see it..

A round as SDB should do it.. frankly you won't beat the times of the lightened bodies, but if 13's to high 13s are achievable on and EG (full interiored) hatch body.. it would be great.

No need to show dyno sheets, and you can keep your 'trade secrets'.

If 2.4L.. I still think that 300 is the number you can get on engine and not on wheel.. if you can prove me wrong.. congratulations, you just improved the honda modding scene in Malaysia!

Last edited:

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
dun tell me that u need k24 to get that...
Actually hattech.. the main problem is not power.. but the grip..

260whp also has problems getting traction to the ground without traction bars and wheelie bars.

if with wheelie bars.. maybe a lot faster, I think..

Full interior, hattech.. not stripped chassis... some more stock gearing oh..

TheGame

Feb 5, 2004
Now let's get on to the juicy part!! The objective, a streetable 300whp K series! Streetable meaning air-conditioning, power steering, driveable with our local fuel octane level and most importantly drives like a normal road car...but with a whole lot more power!! Basically, maintaining the creature comforts that Honda has so graciously given us stock from the factory, but still be able to kick some serious turbo ass. So after many late night discussions with the dude that's paying for all this NA madness, let's call him B, we decided to go for an all out K24 NA buildup. Apparently $$ wasn't an issue for this dude!! Some guys just have it all...sigh. Anyways, strangely enough B was very specific that he did not want any Japanese parts in his engine. Fair enough since he's paying, so we came up with the following shopping list!

K24 short block
Forged pistons (AvantGarde spec)
Forged con-rods
ACL Race series engine and con rod bearings
K20A oil pump
K20A water pump
Custom Crower Cams (AvantGarde spec)
Crower Valve springs
Ferrea stainless steel valves
A custom ported cylinder head (port and polished by AvantGarde)
Jenvey individual throttle body (AvantGarde spec)
Hytech custom build race header for K24
Hondata K-Pro
Exedy Hyper Single Clutch set (the only jap item!!)
ARP bolts and head studs
Cometic head gasket
AEM aluminium pulleys
RC Engineering injectors

What a shopping list huh!! Ok people will update with pictures tommorow. Very tired now.

TheGame

Feb 5, 2004
The mentality of some people never seize to amaze me. Must all Vtec engine buildup be for drag racing only!! 13 seconds this 12 seconds that. There are other forms of motorsports besides drag racing bro. Don't be so narrow minded.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
The mentality of some people never seize to amaze me. Must all Vtec engine buildup be for drag racing only!! 13 seconds this 12 seconds that. There are other forms of motorsports besides drag racing bro. Don't be so narrow minded.
Well.. if it's not for drag racing.. 300whp is still kind of extreme.. But you're getting irritated just because of I said? C'mon bro, temper management required...

I didn't say your build was bad.. and making 300whp isn't so easy, even from a K24..

But if you manage to do it.. I'd be one of the first to congratulate you.

But since when are quads considered 'streetable'? :P

And how are you going to get it to idle properly with a/c on and off without an IACV? or going for quads with a plenum like 5'zigen's DC5 setup?

Oh, sorry... you're not going to share the setup.. trade secrets... never mind.. :P

Last edited:

type_one

Known Member
Mar 23, 2006
Don't start flaming ppl lar.. It was just an assumption, bro.. With the buildup you have in mind, its just natural to think you're building a drag machine.. If its not, then fine..
And shiro's right, its definitely not a walk in the park to make that kind of power, otherwise "300whp NA VTEC" wouldn't sound so amazing, would it??

But like you said, it can be done, I'm sure everyone here is eager to know how..as well as the questions and doubts that will arise... So try not to be so narrow minded yourself.. Cheers, bro.. Can't wait to see your buildup..

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Why not ACT clutches? That would be a USDM alternative to Exedy Hyper Single. I think they make clutches for boosted honda's that would fit your application.

BTW, how much torque is that clutch rated at? (not the clamp load).. I'd think that the 300whp torque would overwhelm the clutch.. say if you got 300whp at 7.5K rpm...

That's about 210lbs-ft on wheel.. which means if 330hp on engine, would need a clutch that can stand 231lbs-ft..

Isn't that the realm of twin/triple plate clutches? (O_o)

If 330hp at 9K rpm... about 192.6 lbs-ft engine torque. Maybe big diameter singles would work, but the honda clutch is so small... (O_o)

So what is the rationale to choosing the exedy, as you said your customer wanted full USDM specs?

But it's your build, not mine, so I'm just suggesting and asking at the same time.

A thought though..

A V12 6L engine on the murciealago makes more than 400 something hp (at the wheels I think)..
you're attempting to do 300whp that with a 2.4L 4 banger.. Respect!

Last edited:

moshpit21

Known Member
Aug 12, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
simply for comparison, coz this guy Loi Song is using K24 block too..

go here | NWP | 2007 :.

click LIMELIGHT and choose the Loi Song teg, just click next till the end of the page, and u can see his engine spec..

he made 307hp (on engine i guess)

-peace-

V8_nutter

500 RPM
Aug 5, 2004
Now let's get on to the juicy part!! The objective, a streetable 300whp K series! Streetable meaning air-conditioning, power steering, driveable with our local fuel octane level and most importantly drives like a normal road car...but with a whole lot more power!! Basically, maintaining the creature comforts that Honda has so graciously given us stock from the factory, but still be able to kick some serious turbo ass. So after many late night discussions with the dude that's paying for all this NA madness, let's call him B, we decided to go for an all out K24 NA buildup. Apparently $$ wasn't an issue for this dude!! Some guys just have it all...sigh. Anyways, strangely enough B was very specific that he did not want any Japanese parts in his engine. Fair enough since he's paying, so we came up with the following shopping list!

K24 short block
Forged pistons (AvantGarde spec)
Forged con-rods
ACL Race series engine and con rod bearings
K20A oil pump
K20A water pump
Custom Crower Cams (AvantGarde spec)
Crower Valve springs
Ferrea stainless steel valves
A custom ported cylinder head (port and polished by AvantGarde)
Jenvey individual throttle body (AvantGarde spec)
Hytech custom build race header for K24
Hondata K-Pro
ARP bolts and head studs
Cometic head gasket
AEM aluminium pulleys
RC Engineering injectors

What a shopping list huh!! Ok people will update with pictures tommorow. Very tired now.
Your spec is wow !! ,,,which workshop do you plan to do it ?? or which workshop are you from ?? and NA street built with Jenvey ITB ?? and what is Avangarde spec ??

Last edited:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

'(00): You'd assume from the title what you'll be looking at would be a bastardized result of an in-breeding process gone wrong. But you'd be wrong. Think of it as a marriage of a potential 900KG hatch with the face of a legendary hot hatch and an engine on steroids.

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience