CPS (Cam Profile Switching) vs VVTI vs DVVT

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
When was the last time you changed your ATF filter btw? If that is clogged it might explain why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work.

I'd suggest a full GB flush, ATF filter change and perhaps a Lubeguard red/platinum treatment as a start, if it doesn't do anything then you'll know it's electronic.
Yes, this is the least my friend can do now... need to rule out all the possibilities...

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
Just a quick question on this engine technology comparison: CamPro, CPS, IAFM & CFE & (any latest technology?)

Anyone can give a summary of comparison in terms of Fuel Consumption, Power/Torque, Maintenance Cost, Ability to be upgraded, known issues like GB, ECU, Electronics, etc?

This sounds like old topic but what the heck... to gain knowledge, the sky is the limit...

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
Just a quick question on this engine technology comparison: CamPro, CPS, IAFM & CFE & (any latest technology?)

Anyone can give a summary of comparison in terms of Fuel Consumption, Power/Torque, Maintenance Cost, Ability to be upgraded, known issues like GB, ECU, Electronics, etc?

This sounds like old topic but what the heck... to gain knowledge, the sky is the limit...
No taker for this topic ka... or this topic is too boring to be discussed...?

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
I own a Suprima CFE. This small turbo engine is quite nice to drive and somewhat responsive. It's torque curve stays flat at 205Nm from 2,000-4000rpm. Very useful when overtaking too, because you don't have to rev the hell out of the engine to get useful acceleration. Fuel economy is decent enough for me. I get about 7.5l/100km (avg speed 110-120km/h) on the highway and 9-10.5l/100km in the city (moderate traffic jam).

The CVT gearbox has minimal lag as it uses clutch plates to connect the input shaft to the gearbox. It's somewhat responsive too. Some manufacturers use torque converter in their CVTs. The downside of using clutch is that it's not as refined compared to torque converter based CVTs (like Honda's and Nissan's). Sometimes my car stutters/jerks when launching from traffic light. You have to let the car roll forward a bit, then only you press the throttle. Another thing is this CVT from Punch is not known to be very reliable. Some owners suffer breakdown (mainly bearing and gear teeth issue) even before reaching 100,000km.

Attachments

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
not many properly venture into campro..

most will swap... :driver:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
not boring but very lenghty to discussed.I try to shorten it eh;

campro-this is a basic engine.no fancy vvt or intake or anything.the famous thing about this engine is the torque dip at mid rpm.the high end is sweet though. comes in 1.3 and 1.6 but majority is 1.6.the 1.3 campro in the neo and gen2 received lots of negative feedback due to the torque dip which led to bad fc.

campro + iafm - proton smarten a bit and bolt on a vacuum operated intake modulator.it will change from short runner to long runner at a fixed rpm point.it soove the torque dip at a sacrifice of 2-3 peak hp.if not mistaken the switch happen at 4200rpm...you can google this.high end remain as sweet as before.

campro+vim+cps - its a campro engine with cam profile switching and electronic controlled intake module.The camshaft have 2 profile (imagine vtec but tone down the volume from 10 to 3).it switch to high cam at 4400rpm (3800 rpm for exora and waja)for neo cps.the vim is just an electronic version of iafm.u can google the switchover rpm point.this is the best engine from proton.

campro cfe-its a turbocharged campro with comparable torque figure with competitior but much less hp.its because the engine is an improved version of a NA engine with turbo bolt on.VVT is only available at one side of the cam.good power but not so impressive fc regardless how u drive.might as well go fast all the time.what weird abt this engine or rather the throttle mapping is that the throttle is much more agressing on the exora cfe rather than the preve or evem the suprima s.

In case of the waja it has plenty of engine being mated to it...the campro,campro cps,renault f4p,mitsu engine.
the best in term of overall spec and performance and reliability will be the waja cps.
The mitsu engined waja is just sluggish and not well put together.
the campro powered waja oso sluggish and poorly built
the best in my heart will be the renault powered waja.it has the torque and great fc.

latest gen of campro engine is the campro vvt.from my personal experience with the 1.3 variant,it return great fc.city driving return at least 14km/l.when we get better at driving a car with scooter gearbox we can easily get better figure.However,at highway speed it still loses to my waja fc. this is the most refined engine from proton for me.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i wonder up till now nobody bothered to mix n match campro AIFM intake with CPS head.....

and along with turbo for boost

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
i wonder up till now nobody bothered to mix n match campro AIFM intake with CPS head.....

and along with turbo for boost
only poor people like me buy campro iafm.cant afford cps head,let alone turbo..hehehe

there was a neo for sale on mudah couple month back which is rojak between campro+cfe...

my wet dream mod for my blm;
-1.6 stroker kit (the flywheel is not a direct swap eh?)
-cps head.
-if got extra 5-6k then install the sprintex sc.

GSR06

Known Member
Dec 22, 2006
I own a Suprima CFE. This small turbo engine is quite nice to drive and somewhat responsive. It's torque curve stays flat at 205Nm from 2,000-4000rpm. Very useful when overtaking too, because you don't have to rev the hell out of the engine to get useful acceleration. Fuel economy is decent enough for me. I get about 7.5l/100km (avg speed 110-120km/h) on the highway and 9-10.5l/100km in the city (moderate traffic jam).

The CVT gearbox has minimal lag as it uses clutch plates to connect the input shaft to the gearbox. It's somewhat responsive too. Some manufacturers use torque converter in their CVTs. The downside of using clutch is that it's not as refined compared to torque converter based CVTs (like Honda's and Nissan's). Sometimes my car stutters/jerks when launching from traffic light. You have to let the car roll forward a bit, then only you press the throttle. Another thing is this CVT from Punch is not known to be very reliable. Some owners suffer breakdown (mainly bearing and gear teeth issue) even before reaching 100,000km.

Yours is Suprima S? Charged Fuel Efficiency (CFE) Turbo CamPro IAFM+ 4-Cylinder

The catalogue claims 8.8L/100km though.

For the CVT, it uses clutch plate? I thought all automatic GB uses torque converter... Nissan Sylphy's CVT is very smooth.... basically, you can't feel anything during gear change.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Have u guys heard of vortex generator? i guess most of u guys will have seen it selling at accessories stores. As i know only lancer has it fitted. Will our cars benefit from it? It say to reduce drag and improve car's aerodynamic, its proven on an mitsu lancer evo but how about our cars?

Here's the photo of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience