SATRIA 1.6 - Seeking advices for TUNING & UPGRADES

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Recently felt poisoned by how fun it is to have more power. Last month, I found engine oil leaking from my car. The oil is leaking from the distributor oil seal. After I got that fixed up, my engine felt totally different. Previously before it was fixed, low end response is bad for my car as I can feel the engine vibrating when I am under 2000rpm. Response is terrible as well because the car don't really move much even when I press on the throttle during low rpm. After the distributor oil seal was changed, my car no longer felt like that. Just a slight tap on the throttle and the car just goes easily. A friend of mine who often ride on my car told me that he did felt the increase in power. I'm not sure why but could it be that my electric power distribution to spark plugs is somewhat affected by the leak?

Because of this, I start to understand how much better a car can feel like by improving its power, despite how slightly the increase is.
Not because of fixing the oil leak. Since you remove the distributor for repair, probably your mechanic have advanced your timing that is why low end is responsive now.....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Not because of fixing the oil leak. Since you remove the distributor for repair, probably your mechanic have advanced your timing that is why low end is responsive now.....:driver:
I did ask him on what did he do to the distributor during my next visit to replace my alternator. He said he did nothing and he told me that it is just psychological feeling. :rofl: Maybe he din't know how bad it felt before the fix.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If nothing else was touch, and only the distributor, the timing was advanced. Either that maybe your timing was wrong all the while, so when he fitted back he fitted correctly this time......hhahahhahah:rofl:

#OGPIM

Known Member
Jul 9, 2016
KUALA LUMPUR
Bro, i'd suggest to first analyse your driving style before asking for recommendations. Like what the sifus have said, handling should be the direction for your first upgrades. However, i'd really suggest you learn how to max out the stock car before adding parts whether it helps power/handling.

For me what I suggest though, get an exhaust system for your car. You'll feel more of a gain than an air filter. Powerzone's header is great for a wide powerband, though the coating burns off after time last I recall. :hmmmm: Cusco reps are also good from what I last remember. Piping size, 2" should be great, and s-flow mufflers.... stay far far away from those restrictive things. :burnout:

Other than that, if you're REALLY keen on tougeing, just keep your car maintained well and start messing around with your handling. Learn how different tire pressures as well as camber + toe setups affect your car, how to have a proper driving position, racing lines, and then slowly max out the car on the stock tires before you upgrade.

For handling I'd suggest to start with good tires and maybe a strut bar if you want... Bridgestone Potenza RE003's are my favorite at the moment due to it's cost and grip. Get that + a good alignment you'll be good. Once you're better, get coilovers to fully utilize the tires. From here onwards its really fine tuning, you can't 'stage' stuff like this because everyone drives differently.

My own personal advice is that by keeping yourself slightly underpowered forces you to drive better with what you have. Adding more parts that you don't understand how they benefit to a car doesn't make you a better driver. Happy tougeing! :itsme:
Thanks alot mate.... for putting time in your extensive reply.
Really put me into a deep thought.
Had a big slap on my face after i blew my engine on Mon morning . :(

#OGPIM

Known Member
Jul 9, 2016
KUALA LUMPUR
If you don't mind driving to Bukit Kuda in Klang, you can try Ah Seng exhaust. Contact number is 019-2770343. They have wide range of normal steel & stainless steel mandrel bent piping. Also custom extractors and mufflers according to your needs. Price is very reasonable too.

You can also go halfcut shopping for Mivec extractor and do the piping when you got it. I'm using stock Mivec extractor on my 1.8 single cam wira sedan. Like I said, market price is around RM300+-. :driver:
Blew my engine on Mon morning. Was cruising on 4500RPM.
What a wake up call!
Need to overhaul now.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Thinking of doing extractor first before going for full piping. Want to see if it makes any differences. Considering 4-1 as I prefer more power on high end than low end.
Those internet 4-1 is for 'top end' and 4-2-1 is for 'bottom end' guidelines won't apply much with a stock 4G15 I can guarantee you that. The generic 4-2-1 extractor you find everywhere suits our engine's characteristics more than a 4-1 if your ports, cam, and compression is stock. The 4G15 entire exhaust side from the port sizing to the muffler is quite a bottleneck as is...

But anyways if you're planning to run a 4-1 have fun, do post the results here.

Last edited:

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Thanks alot mate.... for putting time in your extensive reply.
Really put me into a deep thought.
Had a big slap on my face after i blew my engine on Mon morning . :(
No worries bro. It's nice to help others haha. How you blew the engine?

Last edited:

issuzark

500 RPM
Sep 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
What a wake up call!
Need to overhaul now.
Time to open up and do things to it? Balancing and lightening, pnp and upstroke if you want to go all out? [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
If nothing else was touch, and only the distributor, the timing was advanced. Either that maybe your timing was wrong all the while, so when he fitted back he fitted correctly this time......hhahahhahah:rofl:
Probably timing is wrong. Previously my car feels even slower than stock Myvi 1.3 MT. After that, I can feel that it is slightly more powerful than Myvi now.

What a wake up call!
Need to overhaul now.
What is the cause of the blow?

Those internet 4-1 is for 'top end' and 4-2-1 is for 'bottom end' guidelines won't apply much with a stock 4G15 I can guarantee you that. The generic 4-2-1 extractor you find everywhere suits our engine's characteristics more than a 4-1 if your ports, cam, and compression is stock. The 4G15 entire exhaust side from the port sizing to the muffler is quite a bottleneck as is...

But anyways if you're planning to run a 4-1 have fun, do post the results here.
Oh, then perhaps I shall just take 4-2-1 as you recommended? For the extractor, does the material really matters? There are those standard materials that what chinese call as "white steel" or should I go for stainless steel?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
No difference except appearance. Stainless steel don't rust but the heat will still change it's stainless steel into multi color.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Sayer Danworth, an indie film maker, decides to film himself driving the Mazda 3 up the roads of Peru, where the highest paved roads are. Join his kooky adventures of him driving from the Lima, the capital of Peru, up to the highest roads up to 5000 feet above sea level (about 2000 metres) that can be found in the outskirt mining community of Huorochiri, outside the areas of Lima. Check out this colourful and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience