SATRIA 1.6 - Seeking advices for TUNING & UPGRADES

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Best is BOT......lol:biggrin:
Then FC will go down as well. As a daily drive, simple mods that don't affect FC much will do. :biggrin: But most importantly, restore everything back to factory conditions before modding will be the best I think. Solve all the problems and worn out parts.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
NA mod will not give you big difference unless is extreme stuff. As the saying goes, no replacement for displacement, so either increase displacement or forced induction which is also bigger displacement......:biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
NA mod will not give you big difference unless is extreme stuff. As the saying goes, no replacement for displacement, so either increase displacement or forced induction which is also bigger displacement......:biggrin:
I want start with something small like exhaust system first. For air filter, I'm actually doubting its effectiveness.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I want start with something small like exhaust system first. For air filter, I'm actually doubting its effectiveness.
Even bit of mod gets you something, but whether that something meets your expectation and especially the cost to do it......:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Even bit of mod gets you something, but whether that something meets your expectation and especially the cost to do it......:driver:
Because a few had said before in zth that air filter mods don't really gives any noticeable gain. If so, might as well stick to stock filter.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
For me it was noticeable better response when cruising at say 80kph then want to go faster without gear change, just step on accelerator. With close box can feel the response not coming. Other than that no difference for me.....lol
Mine is open box compared to closed box on Carb. Not open pod but self mod, meaning take air filter cover away and sandwich the air filter with plastic sheet. Those days air filter round is like a ring...:biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
For me it was noticeable better response when cruising at say 80kph then want to go faster without gear change, just step on accelerator. With close box can feel the response not coming. Other than that no difference for me.....lol
Mine is open box compared to closed box on Carb. Not open pod but self mod, meaning take air filter cover away and sandwich the air filter with plastic sheet. Those days air filter round is like a ring...:biggrin:
Huh? On which car? I thought VR air filter style is same with 4G15 EFI.

I tried before driving without the air filter. Don't really think I noticed any changes in 1st and 2nd gear except the loud intake noise which is kinda fun...

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Huh? On which car? I thought VR air filter style is same with 4G15 EFI.

I tried before driving without the air filter. Don't really think I noticed any changes in 1st and 2nd gear except the loud intake noise which is kinda fun...
Long ago, 2 cars before VR.....lol

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Since you say air filter is round, I suppose it is those carb type air filter like those in old Saga?

Read carefully.....hhahhahahhaha:rofl:

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Because a few had said before in zth that air filter mods don't really gives any noticeable gain. If so, might as well stick to stock filter.
Go change your exhaust first la. What's the point of being able to draw more air into your engine with no difference in scavenging from the exhaust side? :frown:

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Hi Sifu & Pros

I'm a noob & selalu kena tipu.
I had bought a 2nd 1996 stock Satria 1.6 with the intention to go fast corners & most probably touge wannabe.

I plan to upgrade my ride in stages based flow below:

Stage 1: Air filter + spark plug/ ignition coil + muffler + bucket seat.
Stage 2: Adjustable Suspension + New sport rims + strut bar.
Stage 3: Cam Head & extractor ( some fella suggested me PowerZone)
Stage 4: Cam Pulley & Pot Polish
Stage 5: No idea yet, hope can up the HP to 160 on wheel ( without turbo):stupid:

Ps: im planning to save up as i know its expensive. I hope you pros out there can give me some advice on some economical upgrade( [which brand should i opt for) in each stages. Its not for the track, just syok sendiri as i only drive at night most of the time. Need some power go up Genting as well.

Bro, i'd suggest to first analyse your driving style before asking for recommendations. Like what the sifus have said, handling should be the direction for your first upgrades. However, i'd really suggest you learn how to max out the stock car before adding parts whether it helps power/handling.

For me what I suggest though, get an exhaust system for your car. You'll feel more of a gain than an air filter. Powerzone's header is great for a wide powerband, though the coating burns off after time last I recall. :hmmmm: Cusco reps are also good from what I last remember. Piping size, 2" should be great, and s-flow mufflers.... stay far far away from those restrictive things. :burnout:

Other than that, if you're REALLY keen on tougeing, just keep your car maintained well and start messing around with your handling. Learn how different tire pressures as well as camber + toe setups affect your car, how to have a proper driving position, racing lines, and then slowly max out the car on the stock tires before you upgrade.

For handling I'd suggest to start with good tires and maybe a strut bar if you want... Bridgestone Potenza RE003's are my favorite at the moment due to it's cost and grip. Get that + a good alignment you'll be good. Once you're better, get coilovers to fully utilize the tires. From here onwards its really fine tuning, you can't 'stage' stuff like this because everyone drives differently.

My own personal advice is that by keeping yourself slightly underpowered forces you to drive better with what you have. Adding more parts that you don't understand how they benefit to a car doesn't make you a better driver. Happy tougeing! :itsme:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Go change your exhaust first la. What's the point of being able to draw more air into your engine with no difference in scavenging from the exhaust side? :frown:
Thinking of doing extractor first before going for full piping. Want to see if it makes any differences. Considering 4-1 as I prefer more power on high end than low end.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Fuh! Renesis brother modding for power also.....:adore:
Recently felt poisoned by how fun it is to have more power. Last month, I found engine oil leaking from my car. The oil is leaking from the distributor oil seal. After I got that fixed up, my engine felt totally different. Previously before it was fixed, low end response is bad for my car as I can feel the engine vibrating when I am under 2000rpm. Response is terrible as well because the car don't really move much even when I press on the throttle during low rpm. After the distributor oil seal was changed, my car no longer felt like that. Just a slight tap on the throttle and the car just goes easily. A friend of mine who often ride on my car told me that he did felt the increase in power. I'm not sure why but could it be that my electric power distribution to spark plugs is somewhat affected by the leak?

Because of this, I start to understand how much better a car can feel like by improving its power, despite how slightly the increase is.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Every Bimmer-head out there is excited about the new BMW F10 M5 and BMW themselves can’t seem to contain their joy with the twin-turboed sedan terror. The automaker has released a video clip of the M5 undergoing winter testing but has still kept the camo-wraps on for some semblance of mystery.

Although the drivers are speaking in German, there’s English subtitles accompanying the video of the M5 kicking its...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience