Why Evo??

ericee

Known Member
Jun 17, 2005
JB/Melaka/SPore
HI guys, a very great morning to u all... Somehow i had decided to change my car & narrow it down to 2 models. namely EVo 7 or STI 7.. i've been reading both thread here at ZTH but seems its more lively over here, so i decided to post here instead. I guess some of u guys had gone this too b4 choosing an EVO.. Both car is about the same, performance or price wise. SO what makes u guys settle with EVO instead? thanks for ur inputs. HAve a nice day.

lekalo

500 RPM
Mar 4, 2004
TTDI
Visit site
hi! Ya y EVO ha? Frm wat I read, here's wat I can deduce:
They're both 4WD, 2litre turbocharged sports-sedans.. a proven successful formula as a rally tool. They're both priced at the high end of RM1xx-2xxK (blardy hell). Both have got wonderful acronyms in their resumes (ABS, LSD, AYC, ACD and whatever other D's and A's you can throw in). They both accomodate 5 persons in their interiors.

OK, the Evolutions are more spartan and plain in the interior decoration dept. whereas the Subarus appear to be more highly specced. Its interior looks more comfortable. The EVOs argue sharper steering response vs the Imprezas' slightly soften steering feel. It is said through various testers that the EVO will point in a direction more quickly, and its power is very useable in the early rev range. Imprezas need a higher RPM for the EJ boxer engine to propel the car straightwards.

The WRX is however a more comfortable car to live with, whereas the EVOs significantly spare a lot less comfort for its occupants.
erm.. dunno how accurate my synopsis is, but that's what I learn from wat I read lah..wokey?

leslie

2,000 RPM
Aug 14, 2004
well... i would just simply say that maintainence and spareparts availability of an evo is better that subaru.. :biggrin:

ericee

Known Member
Jun 17, 2005
JB/Melaka/SPore
leslie said:
well... i would just simply say that maintainence and spareparts availability of an evo is better that subaru.. :biggrin:
Even in JB? cheaper too are they? :biggrin: any Evo's owner from JB? Well i do hope more owner's would come & share the experiences.. The truth is i have my mind set on Subaru Version 7 but somehow with plenty time in hand browsing countless webpages on EVO, i begin to form a liking in EVO. so very confuse la. Convince me guys! :tee:

raptorie54

500 RPM
Jul 18, 2004
tokyo autolink
Visit site
lekalo said:
hi! Ya y EVO ha? Frm wat I read, here's wat I can deduce:
They're both 4WD, 2litre turbocharged sports-sedans.. a proven successful formula as a rally tool. They're both priced at the high end of RM1xx-2xxK (blardy hell). Both have got wonderful acronyms in their resumes (ABS, LSD, AYC, ACD and whatever other D's and A's you can throw in). They both accomodate 5 persons in their interiors.

OK, the Evolutions are more spartan and plain in the interior decoration dept. whereas the Subarus appear to be more highly specced. Its interior looks more comfortable. The EVOs argue sharper steering response vs the Imprezas' slightly soften steering feel. It is said through various testers that the EVO will point in a direction more quickly, and its power is very useable in the early rev range. Imprezas need a higher RPM for the EJ boxer engine to propel the car straightwards.

The WRX is however a more comfortable car to live with, whereas the EVOs significantly spare a lot less comfort for its occupants.
erm.. dunno how accurate my synopsis is, but that's what I learn from wat I read lah..wokey?
nice quote....damn right!

raptorie54

500 RPM
Jul 18, 2004
tokyo autolink
Visit site
leslie said:
it depends....if bodyparts...will cry for an evo7.. as per the engine is easy, u can replace with EVO 4-6 if u dont mind... but 1 thing is fun for EVO7, damn a lot of aftermarket parts to replace with....

for STi7 used parts can look for the chop shop located in puchong n new parts can easily get from Motor Image locally or from our neighbour Singapore...as u can see Subaru is like national car there..

tried both cars...for me..evo7=torque where as sTi7=comfort

wat i can see both cars are equally good n worth buying depends on which 1 u like better...

Jun_EK9

1,000 RPM
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
if u want slightly sliding when hi speed cornering u should take sti

if u wan stability then go for evo

i have tried sti ver8 is awesome i mean the power but is abit lag compare to evo
because the power come in at 4000rpm but they have a 8000rpm redline
sti will b abit noisy when idling ...for me is nice when u got it for few days later on is very 'farn'

B18C-R

1,500 RPM
Mar 27, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
ericee said:
Even in JB? cheaper too are they? :biggrin: any Evo's owner from JB? Well i do hope more owner's would come & share the experiences.. The truth is i have my mind set on Subaru Version 7 but somehow with plenty time in hand browsing countless webpages on EVO, i begin to form a liking in EVO. so very confuse la. Convince me guys! :tee:
Ericee, I am one of the 'snake head' with evo owners in JB. hehe...many of my frens all driving evo lar. I am in KL and JB quite often. So to cut it short !

Buy an evo and join us (MLOC) and I assure you parts and servicing in JB is never going to be a problem ! Read this tread...

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=49747

:tongue: :biggrin:

lekalo

500 RPM
Mar 4, 2004
TTDI
Visit site
To choose an Evo or an Impreza

raptorie54 said:
nice quote....damn right!
Why... tengkiyu brader. A bit of homework helps.

But still, if one were to get an Impreza, I think more unique, becos Evolutions in Malaysia very bersepah like stray cats la. Impreza still limited & unique pedigree, but yes, the numbers are increasing. The other day saw a beyootiful S-203. Omaigodt!

I also found off the net a COMPLETE Lancer EVO guide, which even offers individual EVO (from I to VIII MR) brochures to download! FUC*EN Amazing!!!!
I may not be searching the net hard enuff, but if there's a similar thing for the WRX'es, it'll greatly help our friend Ericee (and me, and all other EVO / WRX fans!) Anyone seen any?

But as cool / unique as the Imprezas are here in M'sia, how do you think they (mainly referring to the STi children.. export version WRX'es are ok) will tahan our low octane petrol? Sooner or later surely kondem la. EVOs don't seem to have this problem. They can drink our petrol without getting ill. STi's got sensitive tummies.

So, friend.. in the long run, would an Evolution suit you better?

Last edited:

ericee

Known Member
Jun 17, 2005
JB/Melaka/SPore
B18C-R said:
Ericee, I am one of the 'snake head' with evo owners in JB. hehe...many of my frens all driving evo lar. I am in KL and JB quite often. So to cut it short !

Buy an evo and join us (MLOC) and I assure you parts and servicing in JB is never going to be a problem ! Read this tread...

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=49747

:tongue: :biggrin:
Where do u guys usually hangout in JB.. SO far only saw about 3 EVO 7 here. IS it better to get the car from JB or KL dealer. Was told over here pretty limited choice & higher price compare to KL.

Golfer

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Special place
ericee - performance wise, i think both cars are pretty much the same. it boils down to personal liking. some like the shape of the evo, some prefer the scooby. i personally loves the boxer engine, it much more "garang" than the 4G63. Nevertheless, a modded Evo sounds pretty impressive too. For me, the deciding factor was that scooby uses a TMIC (top mount intercooler) whilst the evo uses a FMIC (front mount intercooler). If you intend for the car to be modded to 400hp and above, the TMIC is not suitable. So, you see many scooby's who has 400hp and above converted to a FMIC, which requires some modification to the engine bay, re-routing the pipings etc. Not that I have any immediate intentions to push for 400hp, but it gives me less headaches if ever Dr. Jekyl takes over me...

You should also ask scooby owners on why they chose a scooby instead of an evo. Our member S9 has both. He can give you a 2-way perspective.

ericee

Known Member
Jun 17, 2005
JB/Melaka/SPore
Golfer said:
ericee - performance wise, i think both cars are pretty much the same. it boils down to personal liking. some like the shape of the evo, some prefer the scooby. i personally loves the boxer engine, it much more "garang" than the 4G63. Nevertheless, a modded Evo sounds pretty impressive too. For me, the deciding factor was that scooby uses a TMIC (top mount intercooler) whilst the evo uses a FMIC (front mount intercooler). If you intend for the car to be modded to 400hp and above, the TMIC is not suitable. So, you see many scooby's who has 400hp and above converted to a FMIC, which requires some modification to the engine bay, re-routing the pipings etc. Not that I have any immediate intentions to push for 400hp, but it gives me less headaches if ever Dr. Jekyl takes over me...

You should also ask scooby owners on why they chose a scooby instead of an evo. Our member S9 has both. He can give you a 2-way perspective.
Hmm... never driven turbo car b4 so i dun know what to expect. i might say now 270hp stock is enuff for me but who knows in the future? :tongue: To be honest Scooby was my first choice but now EVO kinda won me over. Im very much concern about the comfort ride of course la not expecting continential standard but at least bearable to certain extent. Im sure an aftermarket damper could solve this, am i right? To me Scooby kinda low profile but EVO screams for attention. I wish our country is much safer so i dun ahve to factor this when buying a car. How much u guys spend on average to maintain the car esp EVO 7? looks like Mysubaruclub forum is much active compare to Mitsubishi ones.. Maybe those EVO's owner busy prowling the streets.. :dancing2:

ericee

Known Member
Jun 17, 2005
JB/Melaka/SPore
lekalo said:
I also found off the net a COMPLETE Lancer EVO guide, which even offers individual EVO (from I to VIII MR) brochures to download! FUC*EN Amazing!!!!
I may not be searching the net hard enuff, but if there's a similar thing for the WRX'es, it'll greatly help our friend Ericee (and me, and all other EVO / WRX fans!) Anyone seen any?

But as cool / unique as the Imprezas are here in M'sia, how do you think they (mainly referring to the STi children.. export version WRX'es are ok) will tahan our low octane petrol? Sooner or later surely kondem la. EVOs don't seem to have this problem. They can drink our petrol without getting ill. STi's got sensitive tummies.
QUOTE]

Bro mind sharing those brochures?
From what i read those JDM STI need to use a better quality fuel.. so only can fill V-Power? So EVO dun have this problem?

lekalo

500 RPM
Mar 4, 2004
TTDI
Visit site
ericee>
Ok, the thing is, it's not me, but actually a friend found it, saved it on a thumb drive and I copied it into my hard drive, so the thing is, I'm not too sure where he could've found it. Lemme do some checks..
Ok, I think it's from this site: http://www.lancer-evo.net
I think you can try download it (7+Mb), but mebbe you need to be a member for abt 20GBP (Great Britain Pounds) a year or something.
But its a real cool guide. Them brochures are all in Japanese tho.. aiya..

Tried to search for a Subaru one, but couldn't find it la. Damn!!! *^$^%#)_!É!!
Oh, and nope, doesn't mean the STi's will only drink V-Power, as this particular petrol has also more less the same, if not higher RON rating. It's only the additives in V-Power that make it combust better. Their ECUs are calibrated to accept at least RON100 petrol in Japan. Wooooww! U cld try running racing fuel all month tho...

ericee

Known Member
Jun 17, 2005
JB/Melaka/SPore
lekalo said:
ericee>
Oh, and nope, doesn't mean the STi's will only drink V-Power, as this particular petrol has also more less the same, if not higher RON rating. It's only the additives in V-Power that make it combust better. Their ECUs are calibrated to accept at least RON100 petrol in Japan. Wooooww! U cld try running racing fuel all month tho...
Bro from my understanding, only V-power rated at least RON 98? that if im not mistaken.

silver_car

Known Member
Aug 30, 2005
malaysia
hmmm...here i was thinking of trading in my evo 7 in the future for a subaru.......

but honestly bro.....no matter what happens, all the comments here are from the respective owners only....

at the end of the day, you will still need to test drive both cars n decide.

go test both cars lah....then u decide. both are iconic rally-bred gengchow boogers :)

lekalo

500 RPM
Mar 4, 2004
TTDI
Visit site
I suppose it's 98 ROn..
I wonder if EVO VII can take the Bilsteins from EVO VIIIMR & EVO IX...

Stormvolution 9

3,000 RPM
Jun 18, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
ericee,

Hey kawan, u got my PM of my 2 cents abt both Evo n Scooby!!! Hope it helps u to make decision!!! Hehehe... :biggrin: Both cars oso SUPER KENG lar... No doubt abt it! :tee:

ericee

Known Member
Jun 17, 2005
JB/Melaka/SPore
Stormvolution 9 said:
ericee,

Hey kawan, u got my PM of my 2 cents abt both Evo n Scooby!!! Hope it helps u to make decision!!! Hehehe... :biggrin: Both cars oso SUPER KENG lar... No doubt abt it! :tee:
Yes bro.. thanks alot man! :handkiss: