Will We Have High Import Taxes Forever?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

gobiz

500 RPM
May 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
Just wanted to ask if anyone knows whether the govt will abolish/reduce import taxes and duties for cars in the future?

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
We will always have high taxes on cars... import tax go down, excise duty will surely go up. Else, where got enough government revenue? You know lah, so many people need 'government aid'.

But I once heard our government is considering COE-style ownership ala singapore... if thats the case it would be totally cool, but I doubt it.

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Taxes will remain... to protect the local car industry... not just Proton but local assemblers too.

coldfish

Known Member
Feb 21, 2004
local assemblers who assemble CKD vehicles don't need protection. the taxes will only protect local brands so long until WTO comes in to play. no excise, import tax, taxation tax crap whatsoever is allowed. at that time, we will see value for money in our proton's because they will have to improve in a quality stand point to compete with CKD vehicles. AFTA will not be fully enforced until years from now because the govts will always delay to reap whatever it can. just imagine, in Europe, it took about 40 years for their Free Trade Act to come together. WTO is a totally different story. when that happens, we might see local assemblers consolidate to just a few big players. meaning a same assembly plant may be producing honda and hyundai at the same time. which has happened before until the assembly plant lost its business because the management couldn't give a shit about themselves. :D

so if anyone is hoping that cars will be tax free a few years from now, nope. try 30-40 years from now. :D

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
in their report for the first three months MMTA said there was an increase in new car registration. this is due t perhaps many new models available at attractive prices.

other that that consumers are wooed to buy cars now as there is expectation of price increase when the G review tax and duty structure this July.

na_power

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2004
afta is for asean.. asean country affraid to force our gov.. when come to world free taxes in 2010... sure american, japanese and european countries will force our gov to decrease taxes. Much lower i think... american, european n japanese countries r the main countries that we export our goods. They can easily force our gov to decrease automotive taxes

p/s: Jusoh r u going to tender that number when it come? hehehe DAV 66, maybe cost u 8k to 10k i think...

Grixism

Known Member
Mar 11, 2005
KLTN/VIRGINIA
Visit site
Originally posted by hattech-v@Apr 22 2005, 18:22
yeah... till proton can compete with other car... in term of quality not quantity...
[snapback]919048[/snapback]​

yeahh...proton is winning in quantity..i mean a 'crap' quantity!

Jusoh

Known Member
Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
Originally posted by hattech-v@Apr 22 2005, 18:22
yeah... till proton can compete with other car... in term of quality not quantity...
[snapback]919048[/snapback]​
even proton can compete with oversea car...i think m'sian still choose to buy imported car...u know why???...coz revenge on proton that can't be excuse...
:o

DJmobile

500 RPM
Dec 13, 2003
if dont want high impport taxes..
evo 9 would be assembled in malaysia...!!!
but would you trust the quality??

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I choose to use 4age sivlertop with addition of turbo charger. How to take good care of this type of combination. plz give advice:driver:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience