What does Crossover meant....

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

siong

Known Member
Nov 14, 2005
what is the usage of crossover??? im a newbie in ICE.. plz help me... What is the different between a good amp and a bad amp??? :secruity:

appleyard

500 RPM
Dec 20, 2004
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
its a filter. It filters out certain freq. for your speaker. e.g. you dont want your mid to play sub bass and you dont want your tweets to play mid bass.

Good amp and bad amp? or underated amp or overrated amp?
Good amp should come with good installation and design of the amp, bad amps..well the opposite.

siong

Known Member
Nov 14, 2005
ooo means i will need a crossover in order to get a better quality sound???
about amp...if i hav a Rm480 unknown brand... will it spoil easily if i heavy use it???

thanks for the details bro..

oldskolboyz

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, in ICE has 2 x/over...a) Passive x/over..b) Active x/over...Normally passive x/over come with comp set..function to filter some freq (same as allpeyard explaination)...Active X/over has more function..some has phase adj, bass boost, gain & etc.. maybe u need 1 4ch amp with 1 2ch amp...normally ppl using active to run tweeter & mid bass with own amp/source ...right know I'm using macrom 48.13 active x/over...why I need it..coz I want run my tweeter, midbass & sub-woofer with own amp...If I using passive x/over my tweeter & midbass will share 2ch from amp...that mean I need more power from amp...to drive my comp set...my tweeter need 30wrms & midbass need 75wrms total 105wrms X 2...coz passive x/over after amp but active x/over before amp.. :rolleyes:

tikus

Known Member
May 1, 2005
pj
a crossover is a unit that filters off certain frequency in a certain frequency slope that need to be sended to a specific drivers. for instance a tweeter should not be feeding in frequency which is very low. without the help of crossover your tweeter might not withstand the low frequencys. hence your tweeter might be blown away. crossover comes in all sort of sizes. from a small caps to a giant size unit like the audiocontrols

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
You can make a passive crossover with money less than rm10 per pair, and active crossover for few hundred to few thousand.

tikus

Known Member
May 1, 2005
pj
kyheng said:
You can make a passive crossover with money less than rm10 per pair, and active crossover for few hundred to few thousand.
own made xover tend to sound better but the only down side bout it is the component matching. must get a few value of caps to try out diff frequency. and some of the caps are expensive. like those black caps and mit caps. so by the time it adds up, it might fetch to a price of a decent electronics xover :biggrin:

appleyard

500 RPM
Dec 20, 2004
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
siong said:
ooo means i will need a crossover in order to get a better quality sound???
about amp...if i hav a Rm480 unknown brand... will it spoil easily if i heavy use it???

thanks for the details bro..
its not for SQ only. Its to make sure that certain freq. are played with the right speaker. You would want to hear sub bass on your mid or tweets.

Eg. Fur a sub woofer it will only played freq. to a range of 20hz - 80hz (depending on dirver ability). If you dont set your xover right then your sub will play like 100hz or 1kz freq which will certainly damage your sub.

If you push that amp (or abusing) its up to the amps cooling and internal to withstand those abuse. Cheap amps tends to break over time, that is why i preferred high quality amps not because there are words like Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Mcintosh...etc...... written on them..its because i dont plan to use any unit (HU, driver or even amps) for only 1 year and had issues on them.

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
tikus said:
own made xover tend to sound better but the only down side bout it is the component matching. must get a few value of caps to try out diff frequency. and some of the caps are expensive. like those black caps and mit caps. so by the time it adds up, it might fetch to a price of a decent electronics xover :biggrin:
Nolah, the cap only cost around 0.5 per piece. Then the condenser also around there. a 12V bulb cost around rm2. So for a tweeter you can use 250uf to bring down the bass and a bulb to maintain power input which will cost you rm5 per pair. For midbass is abit expensive, as the coil is around 20 to 30 per piece. I only use a cap to bring down the bass from my mid bass speaker, so my woofer's bass will be more solid.

siong

Known Member
Nov 14, 2005
oh no! im so confused bros!! haha... i mean..we can actually do our crossover... but how can we do it? n to where it shud be connected to?? is it hard to connect or to do our crossover???

thank you all so much on everything provided..

oldskolboyz

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
hi, yeah we can make passive crossover but we know this crossover only can filter the freq...not more then that...as I know this crossover can not do much thing like to put the soundstage, soundimaging exactly in front of U & center of your dashboard & the best is when your sub in the boot sound infront of U ..that why I prefer active rather then passive..If your scared ICE will kill you better dont play with it...haaa haaa poison poison...& another thing ..I not understand why u need it......coz when you buy Comp set passive crossover has been included ..... :questionm :hmmmm2:

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
Is very easy. Only you have to try and error. The cap, condenser and bulb you have to go to eletronic shop to get it. Then from the speaker (+) you add these component. Very simple, if you are lucky, first time also you can get it right.. But this seldom happens, as I have to try few times to get it right...

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
Well, cheap got cheap play, expensive got expensive play. Anyway a good active crossover will cost few hundred. It will give you what you want but at the same time it will give you other problems like airplane sound... if install by poor installers.

s15

1,000 RPM
Feb 21, 2004
KayElle,JayB,Sg
www.revsaints.com
i got a Pyle bandpass crossover for sale at 350
good condition
PM me if interested

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
electronic crossover = in between head unit and amps
passive crossover = in between amp and component speakers

hope this clears up some confusion for siong. which one were u referring to?

as for custom passive xovers, good quality capacitors give good sound and in ice u get what u pay for. but the trial & error method is very time consuming and tiring. however once u get it right it would sound pretty sweet. have heard to 2 cars using custom passives with dynaudio.

Last edited:

siong

Known Member
Nov 14, 2005
hey bros... thanks for everything.. but i don really understand it.. mayb i shud go to an audio shop to learn.. hehe,, anyway thankx so much...

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
A crossover is like a filter. Like your tweeter sure you don't want the bass to come out from it, right? Same as your midbass. Only passive is setting cannot be change and active settings can be changed. If still don't understand in this way I don't know what to say liao, haha..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I have 1 Accord which is 2010 model with 2.0 , since the day when i get this car the sales man and the service center keep on advice me to fill with Ron 97 petrol , so i want to ask is , is it anyone try to fill with Ron95 petrol in this c:driver:ar model before ? any effect ?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience