Waja 4G18 Stalling/hiccup problem ...

Wilson13B

Known Member
Dec 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Got a Waja 1.6 with Mitsubishi 4G18 for daily beater , already spent few K's to fix it up to the condition now it has "bought it real cheap"

But there is a problem I can't solve it , tried everything including using MUT to diagnosis it but no fault code ...

The problem is , on cold start up , when put into D and accelerate ,it would have hiccup & jerk & if I'm not carefully adjust the throttle input it will stall & bacame hard to start back,sounds like the fuel has flood the cylinder ,after engine finally fired up there is strong petrol smell at the exhaust there ...

This happens only when the engine was first started , if the hiccup happens & I manage to balance the throttle to not let it stall it will not happens again until the next start up , the problem is more pronounced when the engine is cold ...

Help guys , I really have no idea what is going on with this engine , it is very dangerous when accelerate out of junction the engine will hiccup and suddenly dies on me =(

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Got a Waja 1.6 with Mitsubishi 4G18 for daily beater , already spent few K's to fix it up to the condition now it has "bought it real cheap"

But there is a problem I can't solve it , tried everything including using MUT to diagnosis it but no fault code ...

The problem is , on cold start up , when put into D and accelerate ,it would have hiccup & jerk & if I'm not carefully adjust the throttle input it will stall & bacame hard to start back,sounds like the fuel has flood the cylinder ,after engine finally fired up there is strong petrol smell at the exhaust there ...

This happens only when the engine was first started , if the hiccup happens & I manage to balance the throttle to not let it stall it will not happens again until the next start up , the problem is more pronounced when the engine is cold ...

Help guys , I really have no idea what is going on with this engine , it is very dangerous when accelerate out of junction the engine will hiccup and suddenly dies on me =(
It could need a full tune up which wont show any error code as the ECU believes it is running on the correct parameter.

Another possible cause is a sensor failure. This also wont show any error code most of the time as some sensor has a wide range of operating environment. One sensor which could caused such problem is the flywheel sensor or crank sensor. It will cause the jerk as the computer are sending inaccurate signal which causes spark timing that are totally off with the piston movement.

An experienced mech can detect the problem using the mut by monitoring the signal from the sensors.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,
Can any one tell me how to conduct a compression test? Also, What is AFR stand for? Thanks guys..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience