Volvo or Merc or BMW model?

Mell74

Known Member
Jul 26, 2005
Penang
Hi guys,

I think this is the best time to own a conti car as the price been effortable for people like me. I recon this conti car such as Volvo 240SE/GLT or Merc 230E W123 or BMW 520i 80's model are worth to buy rather than buy Wira or Waja!
But again, as a person who never have a friend who own those car it quite difficult for me to determin which model is worth to buy that not going to make my pocket dry interms of maintenance and fc. If question been ask to mechanic, some of them pro Volvo and some of them pro Merc and Volvo.
Could any real owner of this brand can give a valuable input and help to resolve this conflic?

Thanks.

Mell74

Known Member
Jul 26, 2005
Penang
Guys,

Am I in a wrong forum or I'm asking a wrong question? I just need some input, is it wrong or too much to ask for?

mojam

Known Member
Feb 24, 2005
Visit site
i currently drive a Volvo 760T.... a different drive than a 240.... for input for 240glt go to www.volvoclub.com.my.... for the other cars, that i'm not sure about.... can wait for them to reply for a better picture..... but for me... instead of getting a 240, jump to the 700 series.... or better yet 900...

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
Has the C5 audi A6 ever crossed your mind? imho, the most luxurious of them all.

Mell74

Known Member
Jul 26, 2005
Penang
Hi boogysv,
those model are expensive and I can't effort it! The latest Audi is eyes catching and will buy it if strike a lottery la....

Hi mojam,
the 740GLE has the same engine as 240SE right? Better be with the turbo or not? but what about the maintenance wise, is it more expensive compare to 240?

Thanks guys!

Dino@Casper

May 13, 2005
P.J
240SE i'm driving one... can anyone tell me where 2 find a chop shop for conti cars...

Mell74

Known Member
Jul 26, 2005
Penang
Bro,
my budget is way too low, we're talking budget car like Merc W123 (200 or 230E), BMW E28 and Volvo 200SE or GLT. Audi, I'm not too sure... someone who own Merc W126 (300SE) recomment me that but market price is still around RM20k, can't affort!

Thanks, bro.

Ingolstadt

500 RPM
Dec 26, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
www.evomalaysia.com
My recommendation is this one, converted engine to RB20 Turbo, nissan engine.. reliable.. :D This is the best conti car which is good, affordable and still had the looks to kill.

Mell74

Known Member
Jul 26, 2005
Penang
Bro,

This is great... I'll try to call. The problem is I'm far away from them! But I'll try to call, thanks.

Mell74

Known Member
Jul 26, 2005
Penang
Ingolstadt,

Are you driving Audi? Which model? Can you tell it story coz Audi stories seldom been heard or told! I love the new Audi it's really a killer look!

Ingolstadt

500 RPM
Dec 26, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
www.evomalaysia.com
I'm driving a 1997 Audi A4 1.8T. Bought it recently.

Audi, got really famous in the 80s when Audi integrated 4WD and racing, cos by then, 4wd were for industrial usage, farm tractors and so on, nothing to get associated with speed, Audi invented quattro, tuck it into the Audi Ur Quattro, raced rallys and wins almost every single race for 2 years consequtively, almost instantaniously, Audi is reknown for racing development... but the thing i like about Audis is not the racing legacy it has, ironically, i knew of its racing legacy after i've loved Audis for so long. What i love them actually contradicts to the recent new ones that were just launch. I love Audis for their understated looks, clean and clear cut designs that stand out of the crowd, but eventually it seems the'crowd' doesnt like this kinda styling, hence the new Audis looked garang, with head lamps that stare at you, and grills that almost 'roar' in sight.... to me, thats very BMWish. :)

Mell74

Known Member
Jul 26, 2005
Penang
Bro,
thanks for the intresting info, what is the maintenance bill look like?

Ingolstadt

500 RPM
Dec 26, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
www.evomalaysia.com
Maintenance wise, its just rumours that Audis are hard to maintain. The bad reputation of Audis were actually cause by Auto Dunia back in year 2000 to 2002, during then, Audi Ingolstadt wanted Auto Dunia to set up a big Hangar which is estimated to cost RM30 million, however Auto Dunia wasn't willing as its a big investment, hence Audi Ingolstadt decides to cut off their distributorship, knowing this will happen, Auto Dunia slashes the price of A4 1.8T to RM155k, from RM220k; attracting many buyers, but the ugly thing is, they overcharged heavily on almost everything, for example a pair of rear headlamps which now costs RM 280 per piece, was charged for RM1600 per piece ! and there's even an aunt of my friend who by then bought the A4, went for routine service and the bill came out with
RM32,000 ! claiming they've changed a very critical part of her engine, when she doesn't want to pay, Auto Dunia suggested that they will pay half of the bill which is RM18,000 because the car is still under warranty (they claim that part wasn't under warranty). This kinda bullshit turns many consumer away from Audis since then.

Ok, sorry for the long story, maintenance wise, an A4 costs almost the same as any other Jap makes and German marques, its the parts that are slightly more expensive, parts are abundant, you can find almost everywhere. The thing about Audis is that, you cannot neglect the car, for example if oil change were to happen every 5000km, you have to change them by then, they weren't as crazy as local cars whereby you can ignore the 5000km thingy and change it at 7000km, and for timing belt change, thou they claim 120,000km per change, do it at around 90,000km if you aren't a hard driver, or change every 60,000km for optimum condition. Lastly, A4's control arm was made of aluminium, being light and agile, it weren't as robust as steel parts, cos Malaysian road conditions was slightly worst than country roads of germany (hehehe) so the wear and tear is quite obvious.

Lastly, i Audis are just like any BMWs or Volvos, rides comfortably, and very long lasting provided you service them periodically. oh, Audi's are made galvanised steel, wont rust !

p.s. Since you're intending to get some 20 yr + contis that costs around RM10k++ means you gonna pay cash right? Why not opt for a 96/97 Audi A6 C4 and get loan? RM30k+ with a 7 year loan wouldn't end up much per month right? then use the 10k you have to slowly service it part by part... then you'd get urself a relatively modern conti, and one that rides damn smooth ! good luck in ur buy friend !

boggysv

2,000 RPM
Sep 7, 2004
not to mention autodunia not mentioning the arrival of the 1.8T when they were still selling the 1.8NA.

my family got awesomely pissed when we saw the 1.8T for sale just weeks after we got the 1.8NA

euromobil now has a crapload to do to revive the brand. Simply saying, anyone who can afford a new 325 can easily afford the new A4(which imho, is a better daily dar), but the "bmw" image in malaysia is just too strong.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Yesterday my hand itchy wanted to check why my meter one bulb is only on, so I removed the bulb and i accidentally dropped the working bulb causing the filament to break...

In short i am looking for this kind of bulbs. Anyone have any idea where to get it or any alternatives?

Thanks

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience