Tyre Shaving

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
Not sure if those racing pro shops does it, as last time got someone mention they shave the new tyres for race. As for tyre shops I don't think any of them does it.....

do burn out?

They normally do it to a brand new tyres, to lessen the thread depth for track......:driver:

Even semi slick tyres need to do that? But then if lesser thread depth, won't it wear the tyre off faster?
Then have to go in pit more frequent.

mostly those were super soft wet/intermediate thread tyre...since they want to use it in dry event such as sprint 5lap race or time attack, then the wet condition thread doesn't really suits...hence they do tyre shaving.... *mostly done by americans in drag races

but not cost effective la.....this method was common on RC car race.....not many do this for rear car nowadays due to wide option of semi-slick tyre that just barely have groove to be named as road legal tyre....

et_street_radial_a.jpg

et_street.jpg

Even semi slick tyres need to do that? But then if lesser thread depth, won't it wear the tyre off faster?
Then have to go in pit more frequent.

New tyres thread wear too deep. Seems heat build up a lot also. Since need for dry track less thread pattern is better so they shave. Moreover some races cannot use semi slick or slick or track tyres, so shaving a normal road tyre is next best.
Our track day race is not like F1 where you need to change tyres......

something new to me....

Oh! quite long ago they did this, you not aware only. So now you know....forum power.....:driver:

OT a bit, but on tyre cutting or re-groove. Those cutting machine they use to re-groove bald tyres, actually I saw the Subaru Rally team using. They modify the tyre thread pattern during a rally. Even though the rally tyre pattern already comes in blocks, that day was really muddy so from feedback from the driver they cut away more rubber for a more rough pattern....:driver:

Oh! quite long ago they did this, you not aware only. So now you know....forum power.....:driver:

OT a bit, but on tyre cutting or re-groove. Those cutting machine they use to re-groove bald tyres, actually I saw the Subaru Rally team using. They modify the tyre thread pattern during a rally. Even though the rally tyre pattern already comes in blocks, that day was really muddy so from feedback from the driver they cut away more rubber for a more rough pattern....:driver:

not only oversea rally team...

here in malaysia some teams also doing it to suits the surface condition especially on muddy condition

not only oversea rally team...

here in malaysia some teams also doing it to suits the surface condition especially on muddy condition

Saw that in Malaysia. Last time FIA sanction rally of Malaysia, I watch Colin McRae from Subaru team.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom