Stupid Question No 2 - Connecting the HU Use wire harness or splicing

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Ok, I've cut my teeth on some foreign ICE website before, but they toss me so many technical terms I got pretty much confused.

I'm wondering how many of you have changed the original HU that came with your car, and find that it's using a plug type connector.

How did you install your HU then? Did you cut off the plug and splice the wires? Or did you use a wire harness? (a socket that adapts the original dashboard wiring socket to strings of wires you can screw on the HU terminals)

According to the foreign website, using a wire harness is a much cleaner option when installing the HU.

However, going to the local accessory shops and asking for a 'wire harness' gets me blank looks.

I'm thinking about changing the front HU for starters, but I really don't want to cut the dashboard socket (which will definitely happen if I send it to an accessory shop here)

Any ideas where I can get one? or is there a local term for it that I don't know?

I'm driving the car in my sig (EG civic with ori honda cassette deck)

oldskolboyz

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Every HU Have own socket.. OEM HU socket can not use for AME.. I don't think the harnest U try to find it's available in our market.. coz not profitable product in term of economic review loorr.. As I know OEM socket only have afew cable:-

1) Power 12v
2) Ground
3) Acc 12v
4) Front speaker
5) Rear speaker

If you scared the accs shop cut the cable/socket.. than you only have 1 choice.. ask them do new wiring for everything lorr..

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Looks like have to order for overseas.. RM 40 excl. shipping...

Sure cannot find even one in Malaysia? Old stock maybe?

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
in malaysia , there's too much product are imported from raw manufacture..so usually we cant find those aftermarket socket/harness..even our local car oem product are imported from other country like taiwan and china..mostly...

it will cost u a bomb to find the socket / harness to fit ur ori 1..it's a good idea but it's not practical in malaysia...imagine a plain socket / harness that cost 10-20cent when manufacturing but cost u more than RM50 to get it....if ur car is still new and under warranty, best way is to keep it sttock..if ur car is over warranty, just cut it..i dun think it will be a problem to fit it back later if a good installer cut the wire...

kyheng

1,000 RPM
May 20, 2005
seremban
Are you sure rm40 is enough? If I not mistaken, anything that deals with eletronics the tax and shipping total is around 50% from the price of the item you buy.

ISWARA GT-R

Known Member
Jan 13, 2004
8th Miles 53100
Basically u can make ur own socket for your harness
Where u need to cut the original socket and replace with your own (probarly can find ones that exactly the same as your car oem socket thus no need to cut just plug and play)
U can find the sockets in Jalan Pasar (shops that sell electronic parts like Maplin etc) actually at price lower than RM10
just make sure that u connect it correctly

ISWARA GT-R

Known Member
Jan 13, 2004
8th Miles 53100
But some experience installer will use male and female connectors for the connections (I'm sure my installer use it for their customers)
The wires are crimped to the connector and after that just slot it in and it's done. Neat and tidy

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks for all the inputs, even if you say it costs a bomb... I think even if it cost 100 for S&H plus taxes, I think I'll do it since I do have a working ori honda HU, which I can put back if I do manage to kill my aftermarket HU.

Thanks for all your help guys.. Time to get started!

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
putting back the ori honda HU will not be a problem, just connect back the wires, especially if u use male-female connectors like iswara-gtr mentioned. shouldnt make a big deal out of this, its such a common practice and both new HU or old HU will be made sure to work by the installer.

cacin

1,000 RPM
Mar 9, 2005
Penang
Visit site
I agree with Zenn and iswara-gtr.
If you really have a concern about cutting the stock harness, try using a male/female connector with a generic harness.
As far as I know, the generic harness has 2, 4, 6 and 8 slots.
You still need to cut your wire, but, at least when installing the HU, you're not just connecting the wire by twisting it together and use electrical tape to cover it.

Another option would be to splice those wires using a splice or something (forgot the name). You'll need quite a lot of it. Depends on the wire that you need to connect from the new HU.

Hope this helps.

For wire harness, you can probably order some from amazon, crutchfield or car domain.